PI Vision

Welcome to the PI Vision (formerly PI Coresight) feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Vision. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create PI Web API performance counters to monitor the crawl state of various databases

As an PI administrator I need to monitor the health of the index files created by the PI Web API Crawler. In particular, if the last crawl date has not been updated recently or other errors show up. This is currently done by manually visiting the PI Web API database page. A performance counter that reports things like "the number of databases who have not been updated in 1 hour" or  "the number of databases in error" existed, we could store that info in tags and act on the crawler getting in a bad state in a proactive manner.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create digital state set tables in Vision

Ability to create digital state tables (table exposing digital states for a set) that lists all available statuses for a set. This would help users who do not have access to SMT know the correct names for each state set and the available states.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Set Default Displays for all users

Being able to set default Displays for all Users. When posting PB graphic into Vision it would be helpful to be able to set the graphics that are most useful for all users. Instead of them having to Favorite them.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change asset displayed depending on which user is logged in

I have an AF model whose first element layer is composed of various Plant Elements: Plant A, Plant B, Plant C, etc. On each of those Elements, the security is configured so that users in a plant-specific domain group only have access to that element: PlantAUsers, PlantBUsers, PlantCUsers.

If I log on as a user who only has access to Plant B and opened the display, all of the symbols in the display still showed attribute path from Plant A, but the data fields showed No Data. I am able to pick Plant B (and only Plant B) from the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PI Vision on Public Internet

From the security booth at PI World Barcelona (4 people asked):

As an IT systems manager, I need to easily configure PI Vision for access from the public internet so that I’m confident in its security and scalability

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. As an administrator, I would like to impersonate users so that I can easily see what they see while troubleshooting issues

-our users have various permissions for displays, data, and PI Vision folders
    - no need to have user at their desk to help troubleshoot a reported issue
    - test security and permissions easily during upgrades without various users present
    - be able to turn feature on/off (desirable: capture that in an audit trail)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Store entries for "Databases Allowed" in SQL instead of web.config file

Currently, the entries for the "Databases Allowed" are (locally) enteredin the web.config (PIPC\PIVision folder) file of the Vision server.

Our PI Vision system is fully redundant (2 Vision servers beneath a loadbalancer, and SQL AlwaysOn), so depending on which server you land (because of the loadbalancer) you can see different Databases in the Asset-pane.
    From my point of view, these entries should be stored in the SQL Database.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Implement Testing methodology for Microsoft Patches

PI System owners need to ensure that their deployed systems both meet internal IT policies regarding recommended OS and other component recommended and critical patches, and that their PI applications are not adversely affected by these patches.

A testing methodology similar to what PI AF employs which is currently to automatically monthly test all critical and recommended patches against the currently released application version.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. View users connected to PI Vision

PI Vision administrators should be able to see who is actively connected to PI Vision, similar to the way Network Manager Statistics in SMT shows all active connections to the PI Data Archive.

89 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Replace Tags in PI Vision Displays

I changed my PLC and have new tags. I would like to keep my old Vision displays, but be able to replace / swap the old tags for new tags.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Identity Info for the current user

It should be possible to see the permissions (Identities) for the currently logged in user

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. New access level to restrict display sharing

We need a new access level with below privileges:
    - Read shared displays
    - Create & save displays
    - No access to share displays with others
    Most users in Vision like to explore and save their displays. Only access level for that is Publisher. However that also means all publishers can share their displays with the World.
    We need a new access level which allows users to explore and save their own displays, but ensures only approved displays are shared with everyone.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Change Time Range Defaults

Add custom time range defaults. Shifts at my organization are 12 hours, I would like to allow my users to be able to select 12 hours without having to type in the timestamps manually.  (As opposed to or in addition to 1h, 8h, 1d etc.)

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Announcements on the PI Vision start page

As a PI administrator I want to be able to make announcements to the users on the PI Vision start page from time to time.

Examples of announcements is planned upgrade dates and times, information about new features, problems with data capture from interfaces, etc.

A suitable place for these announcements could be the lower left corner of the start page.

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow the option to point Coresight Displays to new elements based off the same template when migrating displays to a new AF database

I have an AF server with 2 databases. Both databases have the same element template. I would like to migrate a Coresight display to use the second AF database and also change the display to use assets in the second AF database  with the same template.  So I would want some functionality in the Display Utility to point the display objects at new assets with the same template while migrating displays to a new AF database.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add math and formulas into Vision

Is there a way to add math or formulas into Vision?

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Include a link to the PI Web API Search Admin page from the PI Vision Admin page

The PI Web API Search Admin page, particularly the Databases tab, ha a lot more information and is much more helpful for monitoring or troubleshooting the crawled databases than the Overview and Configuration tabs in the PI Vision Administration page.

Since the Web API Admin site's URL is difficult to remember (https://localhost/piwebapi/admin/search/database.html), it would be beneficial to have a link to the page from within the Vision Admin page, or a new page on the Vision Admin site that contains the same detailed information on the crawled databases.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Monitor PI Vision Health

As an administrator of PI Vision, I would like built in capabilities to automate monitoring the health of my PI Vision server similar to the  capcabilities of the UniInt Health Points from PI Interfaces.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Recycle Bin for Displays

Recycle Bin to restore mistakenly deleted displays.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED