How can we improve PI Vision?

Symbols: Make visible/invisible based on tag value

Change graphics based on a tag value. For example make a symbol visible when a tag/attribute value is equal to 1 and invisible when equal to 0 (or another condition).

54 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  Alicia Coppock responded  · 

In the PI Vision 4.x release, symbol visibility will be able to be controlled as part of expanded multi-state capabilities.

5 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a way for a visual element to display when based on the value of the data. Like if the downtime for a piece of equipment reaches a certain number, the display should appear; if the downtime is below the threshold-the display disappears. I've kind of done this with the multi-value to be the color of the background when the number is 1 mins or below, and to be red when above 1 mins.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have the option to tie visibility of items (shapes, values, text, trend items) to a bit or multistate.

• AdminJohn Swartzentruber (Engineering Manager, Software Development, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Paul. Which version are you using? In the 2017 R2 release, the collection's search root should change when the display's asset context changes. In a future release, the visibility property of a symbol can be controlled as part of a more advanced multistating feature. We also want to more appropriately control how we display symbols when their attributes do not exist for the current asset. I'm sorry we were not able to get this done in the initial release.

• Paul_Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must.
    Tried using the Collection, but some idiot programmed it to display fixed format text when there were no items: whoever decided that really knows how to take a potentially useful thing and mess it up. Sure, allow it to do it if someone wanted it to, but please think about these things. Also I believe that its root search element doesn't change with the screen context: quite an omission that. Perhaps more experienced designers should have been used for a flagship product?.

• rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a custom symbol we already implemented this behaviour, but it would be beneficial for all symbols.

our specific case: only when an asset is in an exception state, i want to show additional information for that Asset. E.g. show OCAP or SOP information when the asset is out of control

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED