How can we improve PI Vision?

Select which Template is used for Switch Asset

When using Element Relative Display and Switch Asset, allow for selecting which Template of the current Asset is used for searching when is using templates that are derived from other templates.

The current search appears to only be based on the most derived Template but the display may be valid for a common base template shared by different types of assets.

A dropdown could be shown in the Switch Asset selector when the current asset is using derived templates to help filter.

38 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ta_be shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Lonsberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could also envision the dropdown, rather than being strictly tied to type of template, instead being configurable by an admin. The admin (or display owner) could set or filter a list of assets that would be selectable for the given display.

• af_amitec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if it's completely the same but I'd like to be able to swap assets on elements where their primary template is not the same, but they inherit from a common template. Example: In the Speedys Pizza database all vehicles inherit from the "Vehicles", but the swap assets functionality only works on the the template they belong to directly. As a consequence I cannot create a speed vs. speed limit display and swap between all elements - even though all elements contain these two attributes from their base template.

• AdminTodd Brown (Product Manager, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User Story: Search for assets by derived/related templates: As a process engineer, I want to retrieve all the assets from the inherited asset template from the base template.

For example: I want to find all the ESP pumps. There is a base ESP pump template, there is a Haliburton ESP template, this is a XYZ ESP template. I'd like to retrieve all these and be able to compare the different types against one another.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED