Snap to grid

Wish there was a snap-to-grid option

130 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

kdarl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  Alicia Coppock responded  · 

Snap to grid capability for easily aligning symbols when editing PI Vision displays will be included in the PI Vision 4.0 release

19 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ferranpru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes is difficult to create a good quality PI Vision Display due to disalignment of elements on the screen.

It could be useful to have an optional base grid on the screen to alineate the elements, sizes, and so on. It could be polarized or not (elements fits to the dots of the grid or not).

For me it could be a good tool, and could provide good quality to the displays presentation.

Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please add snap to object and snap to grid for creating graphics. Creating complex graphical layouts is painstakingly slow without any snap features.

• emjohnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!  It was my first question I had in a demo I attended today.  We need a static or dynamic grid function in Vision.  I'm really OCD about nicely lined up elements and love my snap to grid in ProcessBook for nice neat displays.

• armondelacruz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating a paste in place function to help with accurate layouts for integrated displays. (Can also be a ruler function)

• jagdish.konathala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A grid background like in ProcessBook would greatly help aligning symbols like others said. If there is a custom symbol hack to get this working, let us know.

• rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to James Lewis, "Microsoft PowerPoint and Visio have the ..."
    Step 1: do at least something to save me from painstakingly trying to align objects on a display.
    Step 2: yes, like the dynamic grid very much! But first ease the pain before i can fall in love.

• James Lewis [Capula Ltd] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft PowerPoint and Visio have the concept of "Dynamic Grid" which is better than snap to grid. "Dynamic grid guides assist in the sizing, spacing, and alignment of shapes in relation to one another.".
    It snaps an object into alignment with others close by and shows dotted lines when they are. It also snaps an object and shows spacing arrows when the spacing between it and a second object matches the space between the second object and a third. You'll know what I mean when try it.
    My vote is for that.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought there is! ...
    Just be it nice please, not that actual-zoom-dependent-mess like in Procbook!

• rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have to create clean displays. Now i spend about 10% of my time building displays on aliging things nicely. Just one pixel can make a difference between messy and clean

• Alan Izar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A set of gridlines in the working display area would help to properly design the displays when in edit mode.

• ginoc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see a background alignment grid that can be toggled on & off. This would dramatically simplify aligning objects on horizontal and vertical lines, and re-sizing, etc.

The background grid would not be an object (ie; you should not be able to intentionally or unintentionally "grab" and move it.

• Bill Maulsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be helpful to have following edit/build features:
    Rubber Band selection
    Object Grouping (sizing & move location)
    Snap to Grid
    Absolute values display range for each trend

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED