How can we improve PI Vision?

Ad-hoc trend with multiple selected attributes

Build trend with multiple traces based on a display data (for instance, from a table). PI Vision user should be able to select multiple items on the table and then trend them on a single ad-hoc trend to compare. The ad-hoc trend should appear in a pop-up window (which you can move) in the same browser tab and the user should be able to switch between the main screen and the ah-hoc trend window to drag and drop more attributes from tables and value symbols on the screen. It's very important to see both ad-hoc trend and the main display simultaneously.

210 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sasha Krivonosova shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Benco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Include the ability to allow individual attributes in a Collection set to be added to an ad-hoc trend. Currently, only one attribute at a time can be selected.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After double clicking on a trend graph to enlarge it, it'd be useful to be able to access "Format Trend" by right clicking, so additional traces can be added, ranges changed, etc.

• Rory Byrne-Dugan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For users who specifically want to trend multiple data items from a single ProcessBook display in PI Vision, I have written a Chrome extension to add this functionality (as a workaround until PI vision 2019). See the details on PI Square:

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/community/all-things-pi/pi-visualization/blog/2018/09/26/multiple-ad-hoc-selections-for-pi-vision-processbook-displays-chrome-extension

• tporter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When people are watching a display showing process data, say a fractionation tower with overhead condenser and bottoms reboiler, they like to be able to trend various points seeing how the tower is performing without losing sight of tower. Being able to trend certain points, look for correlations, watch to see on the display if other points seem to be moving that aren't on the plot, maybe discard some points off the plot, then select the other points by dragging them onto the plot or some other method where you don't lose all your already selected points, all iterative without ever losing sight of the display showing all the variables or the plot showing select variables, really speeds up troubleshooting. Our Operators are able to see the process graphic on one screen and pull up trends on another screen on the DCS. If the limitation is the pop up window in the web browser is too different to program for ad-hoc trends then maybe two different web browsers, i.e. the ad-hoc trend is sent to Google Chrome while the graphic stays in Microsoft Edge? Would that be possible? Thanks

• AdminAlicia Coppock (Admin, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your comments! Our plan for the ad-hoc trending feature would allow selection of data items from various displays and clicking an 'add to trend' button to add these data items to a trend in another view. We would make it easy to toggle between the view of the trend and the display but you would not be able to see the ad-hoc trend and display at the same time.

I'm interested to hear why you find it useful to see the trend and the display at the same time and whether the functionality I described would be a sufficient alternative.

• tporter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alicia - Is this ad-hoc trending feature planned for PI Vision 2019 going to be in its own pop-up window as Sasha described? We currently have a client tool we license from a small outfit that has that exact feature of being able to drop and drag PI points from various of its displays onto a pop-up trend that lets you see both the trend and the display at the same time. I'm trying to replace this with PI Vision but my boss is telling me until I can match that functionality which this tool has had since the 90's, he keeps saying its 90's technology, we are dead in the water.

For our company and ease of transitioning into PI vision we need the ability to "Ctrl" click on different variables on a screen and then trend them. Until we have that I don't believe our users will every fully transition over to PI vision.

In PI Processbook we are able to click multiple tags from a display to trend them all at once. I have asked and it doesn't sound like PI Vision has the function/capability. I actually had a couple people ask me if I knew how to do it but told them what I knew after I asked the same question. I know that there is a lot more than just me who find this tool extremely valuable as often times we are not trending the same tags together, especially when troubleshooting and trying to understand the process and changes to the process. If this this not make sense please let me know as I feel (along with many) that it is very important to get this function incorporated into PIVision. Thanks,
    Hilary

• Frederic.Chiang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just install PI vision, it’s so hard to trend the relationship of variables,
    Any software support to generate multi-variables trend quickly and friendly?

We don`t want ad hoc display,it`s so hard to use.
    In our experience,we can use the pivision to Multi-trend click on the display,so we suggest pivision will create a tool bar for user for the futrue. For user can click they want Tag name or equipment all in one trend directly.

• mchung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Lucio Urbano, "This is a must feature that PI Vision is..."
    This is such a basic feature that was in Coresight 2014. Coresight 2014 ad hoc trending was implemented very well. I miss the cart and the live updating values while moving trend cursor. Also the ability to lock trends. I still don't understand the whole user creating dashboards. If they really want to learn to create dashboards they would use processbook and upload it to a coresight folder. The web UI is slow and clunky and isn't feature rich. The old coresight use to be about fast ad hoc trending. PI Vision is a hybird of subpar ad hoc trending and subpar dashboard development.

• AndreBarbosa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are developing a solution in Itaipu (EA customer) that needs to provide an option to select multiple atributes to show on the same trend. This checkbox list would be an important feature to meet user needs.

• Lucio Urbano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must feature that PI Vision is missing. There are large EA customers (ONS + Itaipu) in LATAM that are requesting this type of feature.

• mchung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very nice. Or having a cart we can drop items into and save items into that cart. That way when we ad hoc trend we can simply drag and drop from the cart. This use to be a feature in Coresight 2014. Please bring it back!

• srenyaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing that our users (100+) still keep using ProccessBook instead of Vision.

• JasonBeaulieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many users at my organization rely heavily on their ProcessBook graphics to troubleshoot issues. There are several pain points these users are experiencing when it comes to Ad-Hoc trending from multiple PB graphics.

In PI Vision, it would be beneficial to have the functionality to add symbols from multiple PI ProcessBook displays to a "shared" Ad-Hoc Trend. This functionality should be similar to the 'Add to Trend' feature in PI System Explorer.

• Rick Smith Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Selecting multiple attributes and tags plus dragging and dropping tags onto a trend are prerequisites for using PI Vision as an engineering tool. Otherwise, ad-hoc trend is pretty useless. As a developer, I can use "Add Attributes" and "Add PI Tags" from PI System Explorer to fill the gap, but engineers and operators do not have this option.

• Pule Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

customers moved their Processbook displays to PI Vision/Coresight. when they click on a single value it will pop up with a single trend.
    They want to have a more smooth experience to:
    - add upper/lower limit to the ad-hoc display
    - add multiple other attribute/tags to the display (almost all displays are based off tags, not attributes)

• Joey Langan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many clicks does the workaround take? Say I've got 6 variables I want to trend and the ProcessBook display in Coresight has 40 variable. I'd have to click to send it to the ad-hoc coresight trend, 34 clicks to remove the variables that I don't want to see. Then one more click to change it from a table to a trend. Probably a few more clicks to change the scale ... not really a good workaround.

• roeseaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge! I only miss two things from Process Book. Being able to select multiple items on a display and instantly add them to a trend and being able to add multiple cursors to a trend.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED