How can we improve PI Vision?

Better control of what is shown in Switch Asset List

When designing displays I would like to control how much of an element's path is shown in the Switch Asset dropdown. I've found myself in the situation described by this thread too many times: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/34664-asset-framework-naming-for-pi-vision

I would like to be able to control how much of the path is displayed in the name of each asset, for example like the "Data item length" slider available in the PI DataLink search dialog.

In the PISquare thread above the asset (RTU) can only be identified by including part of the path (Station1\RTU).

67 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

af_amitec shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • tomasstark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be configurable. For instance, the element description or a certain attributes value could be shown in the list instead of the element name (or path).

• DImperiale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You may already know this but for those that don't, this feature is available in PI Processbook AF Relative displays. That is my workaround right now.

• corey_dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree we need the ability to show parent elements. I have hundreds of elements using a template so i had to simplify by organize them under a location parent element. Now the drop down (without showing the parent location) does not show enough information to select different assets

• jasongogal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better would be to be able to alias the element. I see situations where the path name is not what it would be best to show on the display.

• Mohamed Sridi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Asset drop-down menu should show the full path of the element (not only the element name). In case we have two child elements with same name coming from different parents,  it might be confusing to differentiate between both duplicated element unless you hover over the element name to get the whole path (hierarchy) as shown below.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED