PI Integrators

Welcome to the PI Integrators feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Integrators. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add BA Target for Snowflake

Snowflake is a common SaaS data lake solution. BA should be able to write to it.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support attribute renames

When an attribute(s) name changes, I would like the Integrator to propagate that change to existing views that contain the attribute. The Integrator does support element renames but not attribute name changes. Currently, we have to republish the affected views in order to continue publishing data for the renamed attributes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New target Azure Cosmos DB

Implement new target Azure Cosmos DB - this is today not available and not on roadmap

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Send a notification if a view fails to publish successfully

As a user, I would like a notification or email when a view did not succeed so that I can take action to backfill or triage the situation.  Currently I can only use the Last Run Time and it takes a long time to verify when each view's expected run time matches with the actual Last Run Time.  The Integrator does show an error icon when a view fails, but if the next run of the view succeeds, the icon disappears and the user has no way of knowing unless the user checks the 3rd party destination.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show a note for the user in Preview Data that only the first 100 rows are shown

At first I thought the Integrator only retrieved 100 rows of data.  It would be nice to know that the actual publication is not reflective of the preview and that the page is limited to the first 100 rows of results.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UoM conversions should be optional

Currently the integrator takes the Unit-of-Measure Class of the first element found that matches the asset shape, and uses that for all elements. This causes UoM conversion problems if other elements have units from a different class.

I want the UoM conversion to be optional, as only at design time one can determine if the current set of elements, AND the future set of elements returned by the asset shape would support any UoM conversion or not.
    There are no technical means to ascertain the UoM class for future elements returned by the asset shape would match the current class.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide more detailed error logging

Error message logs sometimes are not detailed enough to properly troubleshoot. The customer would like to increase logging available in order to get more insight as to what is going on.

One example - the PI Integrator for BA does not publish any message when there is a permissions/access issue to output data to a Kafka Topic.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a toggleable switch for text file targets to allow the ID Column

With previous versions when you would create a text file view, the first column would be an index/ID column numbering each row. With upgrade to PI Integrator for Business Analytics 2020 the column is no longer there as a part of the enhancements released in this version.

One of the users of a view has a system already configured to account for the ID column and has requested that I put the ID column back in one of my views.

For this use case, it would be useful to have the ID column be toggleable when I configure the text…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow/Support URL Redirection within PI Integrator internal Webserver

Currently, PI integrator is setup on a SSL endpoint (443) and responds to https://FQDN, and https:/hostname, it ignores any requests to http:/FQDN (on port 80)

This request is to allow some URL redirect or URL rewrite mechanism to allow URL forwarding for http://host or even https:/host -> https:/FQDN

For certs issued with only a DNS of SAN=FQDN (no SAN=Host), having such forwarding would prevent a SSL cert warning about the URL and cert name mismatch.

Finally, and more generally, given the possibility of future URL updates (like /PICoresight to /PIVision), or even host name moves, the ability to do…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow PiView to be removed from Identities "Allowed Publish Target"

This is very similar to the "Allow PI View Target to be disabled" suggestion below (I voted for that one as well). - I can understand if PiView needs to remain to simplify installation, but if I have a specific group of users that I want to just be able to publish to specific targets, I CAN"T currently remove "Pi View", and it always comes up 1st on the list of potential dropdowns.

In this case, I don't want users publishing to PIView, rather I just one to give them a single choice, that is controlled at the Admin level.…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PI Integrator for BA support for Amazon RDS database

It would be useful if the Integrator could use Amazon's RDS in addition to SQL Server as a backend for publishing views.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scheduled Update Data for Business Integrator

We would like the ability to "schedule" a reoccurring "update data" write for a PI View. We have several scheduled backfills for processes where data is somewhat delayed (i.e. lab data) but to get the data in the PI View today we need to do a manual "Update Data" each time from the PI BI portal.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide an option to only use access control lists to access Azure Data Lake Storage (ADLS) Gen2 containers and directories

Published on behalf of a customer. PI Integrator for BA currently requires the use of role-based access control (Azure RBAC) to authenticate to the storage account first. With the Storage Blob Data Reader role, it grants read and list permissions to all storage containers and blobs. As a user, I would like to only use Access Control Lists (ACLs) to limit PI Integrator service's permission to a specific container/folder.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Shorten the wait time for recovering output streams

Currently I need to wait for 7 days to recover output streams from deleted views. Please shorten the wait time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add the ability to export/import views via automation or command line

The current feature in PII4BA 2020 to export/import views requires the user to go into the UI, connect to the target AF Server/DB and then import the (json) file in question.

It would be ideal to be able to perform the same operation through a command line or REST API using arguments to select the AF Server/DB or other required configuration. This would greatly ease the operation of bulk loads and make the whole process more seamless to the end user.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Configuration of S3 Target Endpoint to Enable S3-Compatible Storage Solutions

Currently PI hardcodes the AWS S3 endpoint. We would like to target open source S3-compatible storage solutions but are inhibited by the lack of configuration available when setting up the S3 target

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Don't recreate SQL View tables for minor changes

As a Developer, it would be useful if the SQL tables outputted by the PI Integrator for Business Analytics were not deleted and recreated when minor changes are made to the Integrator View, such as the schedule. This would stop connections/queries being made to these tables from being broken.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow saving message schema to a file from PI Integrator for Business Analytics UI

Currently, PI Integrator only allows to save message schema to Registry. I would like to be able to save the schema to a file (for example: .json, .csv) as well.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support query all child event frames (based on different templates) and their respective attributes into a single event view

The batch process can include multiple levels of child event frames which are based on different templates and thus contain different attributes. As a PI Integrator user, I would like to have the option to build a single event view which include all child event frames and their attributes. This will give a holistic view of a parent event. Currently I must use separate event views for each child event frame. This is difficult to manage.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Option to automatically create sub folders in AWS S3 per time period (hour/day/month)

It would be nice to have an option to specify PI INT to create sub folders within a 'view' folder in AWS S3 so that data files dumped in S3 folder could be automatically organized by the time period, example: subfolder for all files created for that day.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED