PI Integrators

Welcome to the PI Integrators feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Integrators. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Parquet as a file format for the text file writer

Allow the text file writer to create more efficient file formats such as Parquet

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow PI Integrator for Business Analytics to publish to an existing/pre-defined table

PI Integrator creates tables in the destination database. I'd like to have PI Integrator publishes data to pre-defined tables.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support OAuth2 authentication

OAuth2 is the recommended security practice to authenticate users and applications by esri. This would also allow the PI Integrators to use Windows Active Directory Federated Services as organizations move to Office365.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow PI Integrator to transform data before publishing it

We have data coming from an RDBMS Interface with the format XXX|YYY|ZZZ.

In some cases, we have several records with the same timestamp, so we cannot use an Analysis in AF to separate XXX|YYY|ZZZ into 3 different tags with the values XXX, YYY, and ZZZ.

When we push this tag to a SQL Server through PI Integrator for BA, we would like to have the option to do this transformation there (from 1 column to 3 different ones), instead of finally creating a view in the SQL Server where we do the transformation.

Feedback written as a recommendation from case…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Expose additional Kafka target configuration options

To accommodate high frequency messages to Apache Kafka brokers, additional tuning of Kafka producers can be necessary to prevent high CPU and Disk I/O load. The PI Integrator should expose these parameters to allow users the ability to adjust their system as necessary. The following are common parameters that would allow for this:

- Batch Size (batch.size)

- Linger time (linger.msg)
    - Buffer memory (buffer.memory)
    - LZ4 compression

Additionally, many projects may require that acknowledgements be sent back to the producer to confirm that they were properly received. The PI Integrator should provide the option as for whether or not…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support SAML authentication

The PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS does not support SAML authentication through Portal. Support for SAML authentication would allow PI Integrator users to configure their own Identity Provider.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow publish to Azure data lake store gen. 2

Allow PI intergrator for Business Analytics to publish to Azure data lake store gen. 2.

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Development on an ADLS Gen2 writer for the PI Integrator for BA is well underway! Thank you all for your patience in waiting for this release. I will update this item’s status once we have the release available.

For anyone who has not yet seen Microsoft’s recent announcement, they have provided guidance and timelines around the Gen1 to Gen2 switch, with Gen1 having an end-of-life of Feb 2024 (at time of writing):
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/action-required-switch-to-azure-data-lake-storage-gen2-by-29-february-2024/

8. Change the friendly name of the self-signed certificate to "PI Integrator for Business Analytics Self-signed Certificate"

To avoid confusion during certificate selection, please change the friendly name of the self-signed certificate from "PI Integrator for Business Analytics" to "PI Integrator for Business Analytics Self-signed Certificate"
    PI SQL DAS self-signed certificate has the friendly name "PI SQL Data Access Server Self-signed Certificate", which is quite clear.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to automatically create sub folders in AWS S3 per time period (hour/day/month)

It would be nice to have an option to specify PI INT to create sub folders within a 'view' folder in AWS S3 so that data files dumped in S3 folder could be automatically organized by the time period, example: subfolder for all files created for that day.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. External triggers for streaming views

Request to allow for streaming view triggers based on attributes that are not already in the schema. Need to be able to specify external triggers while defining the shape for a streaming view.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. After manually updating data, the next scheduled publish should ensure it does not publish duplicates

As a PI Integrator user, if I use the manual "Update Data" option to correct a time period that includes data that will be published on the next scheduled publication run I do not want this next scheduled run to publish duplicate rows. For example, if I have an Event View that publishes on the hour every hour and the last run was at 1:00 PM, if I run update data at 1:25 PM specifying start time 1:00 PM to end time *, the next scheduled publish will look at the 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM time range and therefore…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. For timestamp columns, provide more timezones in addition to local and GMT

The timestamp columns in Pi Integrator only have "local" and "GMT" options. If possible, it would be useful to add additional timezones which would return the timestamp converted to that timezone.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Oracle schema to be configurable

As a PI Integrator user, I would like to be able to specify a schema for my Oracle publish target so that the Integrator only uses the schema that my Database Administrator specifies for me. Currently it is not possible to specify a schema for the Integrator to use, so it will use the Oracle logon's schema by default.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow PI Integrator Installation without requiring HTTPS/SSL

Currently Pi4BA requires a SSL/HTTPS connection, and allows you to create an self-signed certificate. There is no option to modify this connection to HTTP or remove SSL, as Pi4BA doesn't use a standard IIS website, and none of the exposed configuration options allow switching between HTTP/HTTPS connections

The self-signed cert approach causes client warnings about "not-secure" unless the certificated is locally installed on each client.

While have SSL as a default option on the installation is fine, for internal projects connecting to internal servers, HTTP only (none SSL) should be provided as an installation option, to reduce the cost and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add BA Target for Snowflake

Snowflake is a common SaaS data lake solution. BA should be able to write to it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Manually refresh point configuration changes

As a PI System Admin, it would be useful to have a way of manually refreshing point configuration updates in the PI Integrator for Business Analytics user interface, instead of waiting for point changes to updated automatically. This would be useful for testing purposes and fast-moving projects. At present this is achieved by restarting the service however a button, similar to the Restart button in PI ICU for interfaces, would be helpful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support SQL in Azure as a BA Integrator backend

As an administrator, I want to use SQL Azure as the database backend for my PI IntegratorDB, Stats, Logs database, so that I can offload the SQL administrative tasks to Azure.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow publishing to S3 with Roles instead of key / secrect key

Rotating security keys on a regular basis is extremely time consuming when you have to change the key on each defined target.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Modification on PI Integrator published view

Often, once a view is published, we would like to add a tag to it.

Unfortunately, for this we need to copy the view and it'll create a copy of the target, forcing us to backfill again all the view.

We would like this to change.

Knowing that other companies would like to keep published view locked, this is our proposal:

• when a copy of the view is made, on the publish panel, you can select a target and also choose to create a new table or select an existing table.
      -> This will allow us to publish to the…
    10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support query all child event frames (based on different templates) and their respective attributes into a single event view

The batch process can include multiple levels of child event frames which are based on different templates and thus contain different attributes. As a PI Integrator user, I would like to have the option to build a single event view which include all child event frames and their attributes. This will give a holistic view of a parent event. Currently I must use separate event views for each child event frame. This is difficult to manage.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED