PI Integrators

Welcome to the PI Integrators feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Integrators. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve PI Integrators?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Date and Time of Local PI Server, Not PI AF Instance

Currently, the timestamp which is shown in the export files is the date and time of the PI AF server which is extracting the data, not the date and time on the local PI server that the data is extracted from.  Like Datalink, we need the ability to pull data based on local date and time.

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatically remove data from continuous views

As an engineer using PI View or SQL writers for a report, I would like option to remove data older than a certain cutoff. For example, a continuous view is used to generate data for a report on the last 8 hours. Data older than that are no longer needed for the report and should be removed to avoid unnecessarily large tables.

One workaround with Text and Hadoop writers is the Append Timestamp option, but there's no ability to remove data from other targets.

32 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For supporters of this idea, what is the downstream client tool that consumes the data prepared by the PI Integrator? Is the concern about disk space or how to only display data for a specified time range?

For the former, this seems to be a different type of “rolling” reporting use case that we do not currently have a solution for. In the mean time, as Rory mentioned below, a stored procedure on SQL would work if this idea is intended for SQL writers.

For the latter, is it possible to create “rolling timespans” for your graphs, reports, tables, etc.? For example, here’s a video on how to create calculated measures for a table based on last day or month of data: youtube.com/watch?v=NevFWL2JoMU

3. Add ability to select a subset of  assets for backfill/Update in a view.

The current 'Update' feature backfills all assets matching the asset shape defined in the view.
    However, when there is a need to back-fill only a small set of assets in a view there is no option to select such assets.
    Adding a select option would prevent updating all assets in the view and user could select only those assets which require a back-fill.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for SAP HANA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We would need more discussion with supporters to understand the problem.

How does the lack of this functionality impact your work? How often does this happen? How many assets are typically in your view? And how many assets are typically affected?

Does the new automatic updates through persistent signups (introduced in 2018) mitigate this problem at all?

Please feel free to email me or post a comment to help us understand the pain point.

4. Allow to include open Event Frames

The integrator only includes EventFrames that are closed (have end time). That is not included in the documentation, so a major issue for me now.
    The reasoning is that an open EF may not have all data or correct data. I would prefer to let the user decide on that and allow to include open eventframes. After all we can filter out the open ones using row filters.

I planned to use the integrator to get rid of OLEDB Enterprise. Now it turns out i cannot reach all my data. Looking seriously into returning the license.

The reasoning is

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the UI to allow the starting/stopping of multiple views at once.

There are a variety of reasons why being able to handle views in bulk would be nice. If I am cleaning up the UI it would be easier to delete multiple views at once. If I am doing maintenance on a target and I want to stop a subset of views, then I currently have to do them one at a time. Allowing the option to select multiple views would aid in these tasks.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Include Annotations of Event Frames into Event Views

Customer would like to do Batch reports in BI Tool and Annotations contain important information, like Operator comments, reasons for changed values etc.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow "PI View" target to be disabled

I would like the option to remove or disable the "PI View" target on the Data Warehouse, Azure, and SAP Hana editions. 

In these editions, the PIIntegratorDB is expected to remain small because the data is published out to a separate database.  The problem, however, is that users may accidentally publish very large views to the "PI View" target instead of, for example, Azure Data Lake.  This can fill up drive space on the SQL server and prevent the Integrator (or other services that rely on that SQL server) from running.

For these editions, most users will not be publishing…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow users to "Add Columns" while "Modifying View" even if there is no time series values selected.

Allow users to "Add Columns" while "Modifying View" even if there is no time series values selected.

This will let us export things like 'path', 'description', 'category', 'name', etc. Which may be useful on their own, or when joined with another table.

This has the additional benefit of making table joins easier, as time series tables are almost guaranteed not to have any columns with unique entries.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add ability to export stored Events for Event-based analysis, not only interpolated

Currently we can export PI data using a given interval, returning evenly-spaced rows of data.

However, for some uses i need to have the original events stored in PI, not interpolated.

E.g. i need to create a report that contains every value that the operator has entered (e.g. a catalyst dosing volume) in the duration of an EventFrame.
    For that i would need Archived values like i have in OLEDB Enterprise.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cross-Column filtering on PI Integrator

Have to be able in the filtering page of the PII4BA to 'include all columns where any/all of these conditions are true' and then select where a given attribute is greater, lower, etc. than... another attribute present in the preview table. Now I am able only to define constants (e.g. 100, 50).

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Display more than 100 records (or show the total number of matching records)

Allow the user to display more than 100 records in Modify View screen or at least show the total number of rows as additional information.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove default columns from text file target

In the output file for the text file target there are some default columns that get added to the file "ID, PIIntTSTicks, and PIINTShapeID ". It will be good if those columns are not automatically added to the output file.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: One of our colleagues rightfully pointed out that the ID column on the text file target still exists and is non-necessary. The ID column will be removed for the release after PI Integrator for Business Analytics 2018 R2 SP1. Thank you!

13. Widgets for Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

Develop native widgets for Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS that are similar to the ones available for Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS. Customer Issue: Customers building apps with the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS want PI Coresight widgets available for their use in this application as well.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. HA/Failover mechanism for the PI Integrator for ESRI

As a user of the PI Integrator for ESRI, I would like a High Availability/failover mechanism for the integrator (data relay and application server components).

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide SQL Scripts for Creating the SQL Database Prior to Installation

Provide a way for a user with elevated SQL credentials to complete the SQL part of the installation prior to another user completing the installation of the executable. Customer Issue: Many customers have restricted access to SQL servers that an installing user would need to complete the installation. Providing scripts for the customer to complete the database creation before the installation means they can review the specific tasks that will be carried out before running the scripts, and they can have a user with existing elevated permissions perform this part of the installation.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Always produce output table on publication: if there is no data to export when an asset view is published, produce an empty output table

I build asset views on a schedule with interpolated time points based on a PI Point. I also set these up before any data is added to the PI Point so on first publication there is no data to export. Currently the PI Integrator for Business Analytics does not produce an output table if there is no data to export so any downstream SQL queries will fail since the table does not exist. If the output table was always created on publication, and an empty table was created when there is no data to export, this problem would be fixed. …

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. AzureSQL Target should not need access to the master database

The AzureSQL Target should not need access to the master database

Current version of PII4BA gives this error message:
    Ref the error message
    The server principal "sqluser" is not able to access the database
    "master" under the current security context.

Microsoft's words:
    “Generally, non-administrator accounts do not need access to the master database”
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-manage-logins

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Text file / ADLS Targets : Option to remove line number

add an option to skip line numbers in the output files

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Text file / ADLS Targets : Split output files based on elementname or date

The output files can grow quite large.
    Suggestion :Split the files. Here is an example using AF element name and date :
    C:\Viewname\elementname\YYYY\elementname_YYYYMMDDHHssmm.csv

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Two way communication / write back to PI

Write back to PI from the Integrator for Machine Learning. Currently we are writing back to Excel from Azure Machine Learning Service but would like to do this with less integrations.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED