PI Integrators

Welcome to the PI Integrators feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Integrators. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have programmatic API and framework kit for Integrators

Many partners we work with would like to be able to configure views and data output from PI Integrator for BA directly from within their Analytics tools. This could also allow for better integration with third party analytics tools and open an OEM/Reseller market for OSIsoft partners.

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for allowing the user to specify the file extension for ADLS

Currently, it is not possible to set the file extension that is published to Azure Data Lake Store by the PI Integrator for Microsoft Azure. It is currently hardcoded to .txt format.

The end user should have the option to choose which file format (txt /csv/etc) that is to be eventually published to ADLS.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Aggregate data across event frames

As a PI admin using the integrator with event frames for reporting, I would like the integrator to calculate summaries across event frames. For example, I'm interested in the average value of an attribute from the beginning of one phase to the end of the operation, where the phase and operation events are generated by a batch interface.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow binding of a custom SSL certificate after installation of PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS

As an administrator for the PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS 2017, I want to be able to change the SSL certificate bound to the application through an installer wizard. Currently, the only option is to uninstall and reinstall the application, or manually bind the certificate using the command line netsh.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ability to select a subset of  assets for backfill/Update in a view.

The current 'Update' feature backfills all assets matching the asset shape defined in the view.
    However, when there is a need to back-fill only a small set of assets in a view there is no option to select such assets.
    Adding a select option would prevent updating all assets in the view and user could select only those assets which require a back-fill.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for SAP HANA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We would need more discussion with supporters to understand the problem.

How does the lack of this functionality impact your work? How often does this happen? How many assets are typically in your view? And how many assets are typically affected?

Does the new automatic updates through persistent signups (introduced in 2018) mitigate this problem at all?

Please feel free to email me or post a comment to help us understand the pain point.

6. Organize views in Integrator User Interface

We would like a better way to manage views in the Integrator User Interface. For example, we would like the views to be able to be sorted into a folder structure. With many views it is hard to properly manage them without something to sort them.

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Limit historical data retrieval for new elements

As a PI admin working with the integrator, I would like to be able to limit the amount of data returned for new elements added to existing views. This avoids the situation where a long-running view is unintentionally slowed when the integrator backfills data for the new element over the whole history of the view.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show Date and Time of Local PI Server, Not PI AF Instance

Currently, the timestamp which is shown in the export files is the date and time of the PI AF server which is extracting the data, not the date and time on the local PI server that the data is extracted from.  Like Datalink, we need the ability to pull data based on local date and time.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update data functionality for text file outputs

Implement the ability to update data for continuously publishing views to text file outputs in same way that it is available for other data targets.  Use cases for this include:

1) Ability to update data in the case of out of order events, late arriving data, or recalculated data.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve the UI to allow the starting/stopping of multiple views at once.

There are a variety of reasons why being able to handle views in bulk would be nice. If I am cleaning up the UI it would be easier to delete multiple views at once. If I am doing maintenance on a target and I want to stop a subset of views, then I currently have to do them one at a time. Allowing the option to select multiple views would aid in these tasks.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add support for OAuth2 authenication for the Hadoop target

It would be good to support more types of authentication. The current release of Hadoops add OAuth2 support to WebHDFS. This helps PI Integrator for BA to integrate with enterprise data lakes utilizing single-signon systems.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Include Annotations of Event Frames into Event Views

Customer would like to do Batch reports in BI Tool and Annotations contain important information, like Operator comments, reasons for changed values etc.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Increase 100k stream limit

As an engineer looking to leverage hundreds of thousands of tags for BI, I would like to use a single integrator instance to publish all of the data rather than installing multiple instances on different nodes.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow "PI View" target to be disabled

I would like the option to remove or disable the "PI View" target on the Data Warehouse, Azure, and SAP Hana editions. 

In these editions, the PIIntegratorDB is expected to remain small because the data is published out to a separate database.  The problem, however, is that users may accidentally publish very large views to the "PI View" target instead of, for example, Azure Data Lake.  This can fill up drive space on the SQL server and prevent the Integrator (or other services that rely on that SQL server) from running.

For these editions, most users will not be publishing…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add option to limit time period for 'Last Recorded Value' Data Context

For data such as daily volumes produced, we need exact values from PI and Interpolated data just doesn't fit in this case. So we need to configure such columns with 'Last Recorded Value' Data Context. With this setting we certainly get the last archived data from PI, however we do not know if the data is stale.
    It would be great to have an option to limit time period for 'Last Recorded Value' data context.
    Example: Replace stale data with NULL if data is older than a month/year.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Integrator for SAP HANA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filter based on tag attributes

As a data scientist, I would like the output from the integrator to only include values for tags that are actively updating. When the PI administrator disables scanning on a tag, I would like the option to filter the row or at least send a NULL value instead of interpolating the stale value.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for SAP HANA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow users to "Add Columns" while "Modifying View" even if there is no time series values selected.

Allow users to "Add Columns" while "Modifying View" even if there is no time series values selected.

This will let us export things like 'path', 'description', 'category', 'name', etc. Which may be useful on their own, or when joined with another table.

This has the additional benefit of making table joins easier, as time series tables are almost guaranteed not to have any columns with unique entries.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Option to delete target database when view is deleted

When a PI View is deleted from the Integrator User Interface, the Publication Metadata and target data tables are both deleted for that view. For a view with a non-PI View target such as a SQL target, however, only the Publication Metadata table is deleted. The Integrator will no longer consider that view name to be reserved after deleting the view, but using that name again for a new view with the same target requires us to manually delete the target table if there is a change to the shape or we do not want to append to the existing…

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Correction to earlier comment by Matt Ziegler: This idea was not fulfilled in PI Integrator for Business Analytics 2018 release. This idea is currently not planned for a future release. If you have a use case and desired behavior for a particular writer and want to discuss further, please comment below or email me. Thank you!

19. Provide Bulk Column Configuration

The current method for adding columns and changing their Data Content type (value, average, min, max, etc) is clunky and time consuming.  You can only change (or add) one column at a time, and you have to wait for the data view to refresh after each change.

Ideally, I would like to have the ability to switch from the default UI (Column headers with real data) to a configuration UI that has a more tabular configuraiton layout or a layout similar to AF. 

I want to be able to select multiple data items and change them all to be "Average"…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Correction to earlier comment made by Matt Zieger: PI Integrator for Business Analytics 2018 does not support bulk column configuration. This idea is currently not planned. Feel free to contact me if you’d like to discuss more. Thank you!

20. Cross-Column filtering on PI Integrator

Have to be able in the filtering page of the PII4BA to 'include all columns where any/all of these conditions are true' and then select where a given attribute is greater, lower, etc. than... another attribute present in the preview table. Now I am able only to define constants (e.g. 100, 50).

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED