PI Integrators

Welcome to the PI Integrators feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Integrators. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically remove data from continuous views

As an engineer using PI View or SQL writers for a report, I would like option to remove data older than a certain cutoff. For example, a continuous view is used to generate data for a report on the last 8 hours. Data older than that are no longer needed for the report and should be removed to avoid unnecessarily large tables.

One workaround with Text and Hadoop writers is the Append Timestamp option, but there's no ability to remove data from other targets.

34 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For supporters of this idea, what is the downstream client tool that consumes the data prepared by the PI Integrator? Is the concern about disk space or how to only display data for a specified time range?

For the former, this seems to be a different type of “rolling” reporting use case that we do not currently have a solution for. In the mean time, as Rory mentioned below, a stored procedure on SQL would work if this idea is intended for SQL writers.

For the latter, is it possible to create “rolling timespans” for your graphs, reports, tables, etc.? For example, here’s a video on how to create calculated measures for a table based on last day or month of data: youtube.com/watch?v=NevFWL2JoMU

2. Specify desired logging level

As a PII4BA administrator I would like to specify a logging level so I can filter which logs I want to store and which ones I don't want to store in the database.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Is this an issue of limited SQL storage? We have a log retention policy that can be configured by the user in the CAST.UI.WindowsService.exe CONFIG file today. By default it only retains a maximum of 2 months of data AND no more than 100k rows AND no more than 1000MB of disk space. Similar retention policies can be created for the PIIntegratorStats database as well.

Let me know if this would satisfy the requirement. Or provide more information on how specifying the logging level would help. If you could, which logging levels would you keep vs. throw away and why?

3. Allow configurable column size (nvarchar) when publishing to a relational table

The current default column size is 4000 characters. It would be nice to allow the user to have control over this parameter.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Json format as output targets

Add the possibility of adding a target as a json file format

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for Business Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you voted for this idea, did you mean JSON format in the Text File target, or to support JSON format in a new target or existing target? Currently we support JSON format for the Apache Kafka, Azure Event Hubs, Azure IoT Hub, Amazon Kinesis Data Streams, and Amazon S3 writers.

5. Have option to publish data only when the value changes

As a user for PI Integrator for BA, I would like to have an option to only publish data when the value changes. The use case: a point is calculated via analysis service once a minute, and the value does not change often. I want the data to be published only when the value changes. Right now, PI Integrator for BA publishes the same (unchanged) value at each run with a different timestamp.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What writer are you using? PI Integrator for Business Analytics Advanced Edition supports streaming use cases where the PI Integrator signs up for changes on relevant attributes and only sends data when values have changed based on the Snapshot or the Archive. Supported targets today are Apache Kafka, AWS Kinesis, Azure Event Hubs, and Azure IoT Hub.

6. Sort View Statistics tab

As a user, I'd like to utilize the columns in Statistics tab more effectively by being able to sort on the column so that I can sort by duration, error count, etc.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently we don’t enable sort because each statistic such as “duration, error count, etc” is indexed on time. There is a time-series graph showing error count over the last X number of runs. And when there are anomalies, you can click into those runs to see more details. You can also easily click back out and see the trend for error count or duration. How would being able to sort add more or different value than what is currently available?

7. Customize text file target

Ability to set the locales for each text file target individually.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add ability to select a subset of  assets for backfill/Update in a view.

The current 'Update' feature backfills all assets matching the asset shape defined in the view.
    However, when there is a need to back-fill only a small set of assets in a view there is no option to select such assets.
    Adding a select option would prevent updating all assets in the view and user could select only those assets which require a back-fill.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Integrator for SAP HANA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We would need more discussion with supporters to understand the problem.

How does the lack of this functionality impact your work? How often does this happen? How many assets are typically in your view? And how many assets are typically affected?

Does the new automatic updates through persistent signups (introduced in 2018) mitigate this problem at all?

Please feel free to email me or post a comment to help us understand the pain point.

9. Unique Output Streams Consumed/Remaining notification

I would like to get notified for Unique Output Streams Consumed or Remaining in PI Integrator Administration page under Licensing.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow multiple directories in Azure Data Lake Target

As an integrator for Business Analytics user I would like to be able to choose which directory in Azure data lake my view is published to so that is is easier to manage and analyse data once it is there.

Currently this is only possible through setting up additional targets, which is cumbersome.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Time shifting data to align with plant process flow and tank retention

This concept would really apply to all integrators except Esri. 
    We are careful to interpolate data in evenly spaced samples for large matrix analytics.  What happens when some of the data is upstream and the rest of the data is downstream and a tank sits in the middle with a 2 hour retention?  The data will not align.  We need to take into account the asset time retention as the process flows from the beginning to the end.  This can easily be calculated by time shift analytics that would shift data on the inlet to match the data on the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED