How can we improve PI Integrators?

Option to delete target database when view is deleted

When a PI View is deleted from the Integrator User Interface, the Publication Metadata and target data tables are both deleted for that view. For a view with a non-PI View target such as a SQL target, however, only the Publication Metadata table is deleted. The Integrator will no longer consider that view name to be reserved after deleting the view, but using that name again for a new view with the same target requires us to manually delete the target table if there is a change to the shape or we do not want to append to the existing data table. It would be great to have an option to decide whether to delete the target data table as well when a view is deleted.

20 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Laura Posner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
AdminJoy Wang (Product Manager, OSIsoft) responded  · 

Correction to earlier comment by Matt Ziegler: This idea was not fulfilled in PI Integrator for Business Analytics 2018 release. This idea is currently not planned for a future release. If you have a use case and desired behavior for a particular writer and want to discuss further, please comment below or email me. Thank you!

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • volljm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm unsure what 'use case' you are looking for beyond the initial idea. The scenario in the idea is still a valid concern.

If a PIIntegrator View to a non-PI View target (like a generic SQL database) is deleted, the corresponding Database Table remains in the SQL Database . . . which is thus confusing for users accessing the views via a SQL connection (like PowerBI).

The entire concept of using Integrator adds a lot of moving parts between data in PI to data accessible to something like PowerBI . . . without then adding additional items like a dedicated PI ODBC driver and configuring a new Data Source on the users computer to access the PI Views . . . thus the reasoning with using a generic SQL target.

In response to Laura Posner, "I tested this out today and do not think..."
    Thanks for checking. I am upgrading from 2016 to 2018 this week sometime.

While I think the issues presented by old tables not being deleted when the View is deleted is drastically reduced by the ability to modify existing views . . . this still presents a long term manageability concern.

In response to Matt Ziegler, "This feature will be included in the rel..."
    I don't see any mention of this in 2016R2SP1 release notes nor in the 2018 release notes. Has it been completed?

I don't see any mention of this in 2016R2SP1 release notes nor in the 2018 release notes. Has it been completed?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED