How can we improve PI Connectors?

Incoming TimeStamps Utc

Please rename "Incoming TimeStamps" to "Incoming Timestamps".
Please change "Utc" to "UTC".

These small spelling issues come across as sloppy.

3 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kenneth Barber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
PLANNED  ·  Chris Coen responded  · 

We will make this fix in an upcoming version.

3 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The context that you are talking about appears to be programming. The context that I am talking about is UI. To me, it doesn't make sense to use programming spelling in a UI, especially since most PI administrators aren't programmers.

For UTC, it is programming convention to only capitalize the 1st letter of acronyms if you are using camel case, which produces the Utc spelling. Outside of camel case function and variable names, no one uses Utc.

• Rick Davin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am neutral on the idea but would like to dispel the notion that these are necessarily spelling mistakes or from sloppiness.  There is a justification/history behind each spelling.  For instance, TimeStamp was the spelling used for PIValue.  And Utc is frequently spelled as-is throughout Microsoft's .NET Framework such as with UtcNow, UtcOffset, UtcTicks, etc.  My comment is not to diminish your submitted idea.  The vote should be based on preference going forward, but do understand that either spellings are acceptable within given contexts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED