How can we improve PI Connectors?

Be able to point the PI Connector for UFL to INI files

Please allow INI files to be pointed to by saving their full path, just like the PI Interface for UFL, rather than saving a copy of an uploaded INI file. This makes editing, testing, debugging, etc. much easier.

2 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kenneth Barber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
DECLINED  ·  Chris Coen responded  · 

The proposed solution in this request is not advisable for security reasons. The current process ensures that the change to the parsing file is accomplished with credentials that allow administration of the connector.

The question I have is what is the underlying problem that fostered this solution? If it is something like it is hard to deploy updates to the parsing script (.ini file) and maybe this is especially challenging during development, then that idea would be worth capturing for sure.

2 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mic Paluszak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my experience, deploying a UFL Connector solution requires a LOT of edits of the INI file as part of the development/testing/debugging process. After each INI file change, the required procedure is as follows:
    1. Click on the Data Source List link.
    2. Click on ‘See Configuration’.
    3. Click on the ‘Change’ button.
    4. Click on the ‘Browse…’ button.
    5. Double-click on the INI file.
    6. Scroll the page down until the ‘Save’ button is visible (I’m using a 1920 x 1080 monitor).
    7. Press the ‘Save’ button.
    8. Click on the ‘Overview’ link.
    9. Press the ‘Start connector’ button.

I think any enhancements to make the above process less tedious would be welcome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED