PI Connectors

Welcome to the PI Connectors feedback page!  

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Connectors. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve PI Connectors?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow the UFL Connector to performa a scan Immediately after startup

On startup, the Connector currently waits for the configured scan frequency time to pass before doing its first scan. There are cases where a low scan frequency (e.g. once per day) is required. This results in an unnecessary delay before the Connector starts collecting data. Please all ow the option to perform a scan immediately after the Connector finishes its internal startup routine.

14 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  UFL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Server Level Failover

To ensure that data continues to flow from the OPC UA server to PI Connector for OPC UA, the connector could be configured to switch to another OPC UA server under the same conditions as the OPC DA Interface

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In our experience the majority of OPC UA servers do not yet support this failover. Can you describe the servers that support this? Are they native servers built for OPC UA or are they wrappers over OPC DA servers?

3. UFL Timezone Conversion

Supported timestamps are currently limited to Local or UTC timezones.

Data sources may not be configurable to provide timestamps in supported formats.

There currently exists no robust or simple way of converting between timezones using the UFL syntax or configuration.  Including custom daylight savings time logic in ini files for this is not a maintainable solution. DST rules change over time and vary from region to region.

With the current limitations I am currently having to maintain more than 20 ini files with custom DST logic for our global operations.

Including functionality to accommodate for the timezone formatting limitations of…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UFL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow the connector to use a proxy for web requests

Provide a way to configure the connector to use a proxy and authenticate with the proxy if required.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PI OPC UA Connector - point attribute based configuration

We are just starting the first tests with PI OPC UA Interface. We notice that the classic method of tag configuration, known from the interface, is no longer possible. This is probably due to the connector concept.
    Unfortunately, this does not fit with our central approach of tag configuration. We urgently need a way to control the transfer of the data into the archive, as usual from the interfaces, via the point attributes.

Since there is a tags-only mode - is there any hope that there will be an OPC connector mode so that the connector behaves more like an…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add the ability to select a subset of PI Points from a PI Data Archive

The PI System Connector allows to include PI Point replication directly from the PI Data Archive even if they are not reference in the PI AF hierarchy with the "Include all PI points from this PI Data Archive" option.

I would like to replicate only some PI Points that are not referenced, not all. This would remove the need to maintain both a PI to PI and a PI System Connector.

I could create a bogus AF Database referencing those points but I would prefer not to.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI System Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As suggested in the description of this item, PI System Connector uses AF database as the primary source and thus any filtering that is desired at the PI Tag level can be accomplished by referencing only those tags in the source AF database. If users would only like to replicate PI tags without an AF model, then PI-to-PI interface can serve as an alternate option.

7. Selecting a subset of items from the same OPC UA template

When multiple OPC objects share the same template, you can only either select the entire template or not since only the template would be populating the filter file. In the example above, if one were to want to bring CC1001 in PI but not CC2001, then, they would need to be moved to a specific folder in the UA Server or change the template on the UA Server side. There should be a user-friendly way to perform more granular selection

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Output tags on connectors

Sometimes we need to send data back to our sources. Connectors should support output tags

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Reduce Number of Point Sources for PI Connector for PI System Health

PI Connector for PI System Health creates a LOT of different point sources for the Pi points it creates on the Data Archive. Some customer may prefer to not have so many point sources show up for one interface/connector. Adding a method to reduce/condense point sources pre-point creation would eliminate to need to edit the point sources manually afterwards.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other specific PI Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the UFL Connector logic development/testing/debugging process less tedious

Deploying a UFL Connector solution requires a LOT of edits of the INI file as part of the development/testing/debugging process. After each INI file change and file save, the required procedure is as follows:
    1. Click on the Data Source List link.
    2. Click on ‘See Configuration’.
    3. Click on the ‘Change’ button.
    4. Click on the ‘Browse…’ button.
    5. Double-click on the INI file.
    6. Scroll the page down until the ‘Save’ button is visible (I’m using a 1920 x 1080 monitor).
    7. Press the ‘Save’ button.
    8. Click on the ‘Overview’ link.
    9. Press the ‘Start connector’ button.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UFL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PI Connector for ICCP

Implementation a connector that supports the ICCP TASE 2 protocol

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New PI Connector request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability for PI Connectors to create future data point

Add the ability for PI Connectors to create future data point. This is especially useful for the PI Connector for UFL. The current workaround is to manually create the point as a StoredValues=FutureData.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to remove/edit template prefix

Allow for connectors to create templates without the fixed prefix. E.g. The option to name an AF template "templatename" and not "UFL.templatename"

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As a PI admin I would like the OPC UA connector to write a value such as 'disconnected' when the data source is offline so that I know when the connector is unable to connect to the data source,

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Connector Failover

Add failover capability so I can run a pair of connectors that will failover to the backup if the active is unavailable

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Wonderware Historian  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Get data by polling

Support acquiring data by polling the OPC UA server rather than subscription.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow restarting on a data source basis instead of having to restart the connector

Example 1 - OPC
    If a new connection needs to be made to one OPC Server, restarting the connector forces all data sources (and potentially connections to multiple OPC Servers) to be restarted.

Example 2 - UFL
    If my web service is down and I do not want to connector to keep trying to access to REST Server, I cannot stop/disable only one data source

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create/Write to Child Attributes

I would like to be able to write to Child attributes with the UFL connector using the StoreInElement function. Currently, it seems that the Connector cannot write to or create an attribute with a path like:

..\Element|ParentAttribute|ChildAttribute

It ends up creating another Attribute at the level of the ParentAttribute with %18i inserted in the name where the second pipe would go. (i.e. the attribute is named ParentAttribute%18iChildAttribute)

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable setting tag attributes in UFL Connector

UFL Connector should have ways to set tag attributes. There should be way to set the default compression and exception settings and also other tag attributes like point and data security.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create child Event Frames

UFL connector can create child element using StoreElement function.
    it should be useful to extend functionality to event frames on function StoreEventFrame

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED