PI Connectors

Welcome to the PI Connectors feedback page!  

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Connectors. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need to start/stop individual data sources

When going in the PI Connector Admin page in the data sources page, we cannot start/stop individual data sources listed when there is more than one. To stop one you need to stop all the data sources listed.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend the history recovery max period for PI System Connector to longer than 30 days

Allow history recovery for PI System Connector to be longer than the current max of 30 days

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI System Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently evaluating PI System Connector performance in order to provide you with both configuration guidance and a safe recommendation for the boundaries of history recovery.

Look to see something from us in early 2021!

3. Create/Write to Child Attributes

I would like to be able to write to Child attributes with the UFL connector using the StoreInElement function. Currently, it seems that the Connector cannot write to or create an attribute with a path like:

..\Element|ParentAttribute|ChildAttribute

It ends up creating another Attribute at the level of the ParentAttribute with %18i inserted in the name where the second pipe would go. (i.e. the attribute is named ParentAttribute%18iChildAttribute)

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UFL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow specification of PI Point Attributes set by the PI Asset Connector for Emerson DeltaV 3.X

The PI Asset Connector for Emerson DeltaV 3.X sets PI Point Attributes either based on the values in the enterprise historian configuration file (EntHist.xml) or based on default values.

It would be useful to have the option to adapt the PI Point Attributes set by the DeltaV Asset Connector before a PI Point is created. These are: PtClassName, PointSource, PtOwner, PtGroup, DataOwner, DataGroup, PtAccess, DataAccess, DisplayDigits, ExcDev, Location1, Location2, Location3, Location5, Shutdown.

So far, it is only possible to adapt them after the PI Point creation (for example by using PI Builder or SMT > Point Builder).

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other specific PI Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Switch for using Name of AF Attributes from Browsable Name or Display Name

Add a Switch to the OPC UA Connector that we can choose if we want the AF Attributes to be created using "Browsable Name" or "Display Name". Using the Display Name would make it much easier for us to locate the Attribute and refer to its OPC Tag as we can see the same "Display Name" in both PI System Explorer and OPC Tools.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PI Connector for Apache Kafka / Confluent

Dear Connector Experts,

for our Enterprise data integration project we have the need to use Apache Kafka / Confluent as the "data highway".

This requires to send data to PI DA/AF from Kafka and also to read from PI DA/AF back into Kafka.
    I know that there are Integrators to actually read, but I also need the write-into-PI-option.

Any comment on this if you have any plans on this would be great.
    The following data types are in focus for us for this:
    - Process Data (time series data) of Sensors / Actuators
    - Batch Data (Event Frames)
    - AF…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New PI Connector request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New function for Ethernet/IP (“scanner”)

Add the function to able to act as (“scanner”).
    At this moment the connect can only act as an adapter, that means that It can't collect data from other device that also are connector is an adapter.
    https://www.odva.org/Technology-Standards/EtherNet-IP/Overview

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ethernet/IP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add failover capability for the BACnet Connector.

Failover similar to the UFO available for UNIint interfaces.  Warm failover would be sufficient, although I'm sure there are some who would like cold and hot as well.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  BACnet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PI Connector for Modbus TCP

Develop a PI Connector for Modbus TCP. 

Connectivity to Modbus slave devices; used for general purpose connectivity to many legacy industrial devices.

Interoperable with Edge Data Store (EDS) and OSIsoft Cloud Services (OCS).

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  New PI Connector request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PI Connectors buffering (Tau) - provide configuration options

As a PI Administrator, I would like to be able to DISABLE or configure Tau buffering SO THAT after a network outage the flood of data doesnt overload my network switch and PI DA. My current use case doesn't require the data that may be lost during a network outage.

I would like to be able to throttle the number of events that are sent ot the PI DA via Tau buffering so that the PI DA can ingest the data without building event queues.

Specific connector: PI Connector for EtherNet IP which is used for high speed data collection.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PI Connector for IEC 60870-5-104: to filter IOAs

Considering the following scenario encountered by the customer:

In IEC-104 data source, there might be 500 signals of single point (type=1, MSPNA1) and 1000 measurements of normalized value (type=9, MMENA1); however the customer would not like to transfer all those signals and measurements into PI system with PI Connector for IEC 60870-5-104.

How to configure the connector to filter them (such as filter them by IOA of signals and measurements)? Just like what can be done with filter file in PI OPC UA Connector?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other specific PI Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Warm and cold PI Connector for OPC UA failover

Currently only hot failover is featured for the PI Connector for OPC UA but this creates a lot of strain on the data sources. We need to be able to select warm/cold failover mechanism.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Synchronize behavior between PI Connector for Cygnet and Cygnet enumeration value representation

The values stored in the “Table Entry” column in Cygnet TRS should match the “State” column in the PI Server Digital states table. This way end users are not confused why the trends in PI do not match the trends in Cygnet.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CygNet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. PI System Connector: Add flexibility on which objects to synchronize

As an architect, I have to model AF structures at a central location, and push them to distributed assets.
    I would like the ability to design my AF structure centrally, then replicate it to my distributed assets (e.g ships). Example features that are needed:
    - Ability to include Analyses, Notification Rules, and their templates in the synchronization
    - Ability to not copy the data from source to destination

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI System Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Be able to modify the PI Point prefix from the PI Connector for UFL administration page

It does not make sense that edits to some of the PI Connector for UFL's JSON files can be done through the administration page, but not all. The administration page should be a 1-stop configuration shop.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UFL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow the AF root element name to be configurable

The root element in AF is determined by the Connector code.  Allow the name of the root element to be specified by the user.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support user-defined data types in the PI Connector for EtherNet/IP

As an advanced user, I would like to be able to specify a user-defined data type for the array sent to the PI Connector for EtherNet/IP.  For example, if I have a 32-bit array composed of one INT and two SINTs, I would like to be able to configure the connector to parse this array correctly. Currently the data type specification of the array is limited to one data type (DINT, INT, FLOAT, or SINT).

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ethernet/IP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Migration from interface to connector

Would like a way to migrate from interface to connector as easily as possible.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  BACnet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. View more detailed buffer queue statistics for PI Connector for OPC UA

I would like to get a more detailed view of the buffer queue for the PI Connector for OPC UA. In particular, I would like to be able to see the number of PI Events in the queue (not just the number of Tau Messages) and the amount of space filled in the buffer queue file.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  OPC UA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Adjust GE e-terraHabitat Connector to support e-terraPipeline systems

The Pi Connector for GE e-terraHabitat systems was apparently only written to support GE's Electrical SCADA systems (EMS/DMS) that are based on e-terraHabitat. They also have Oil & Gas Pipeline SCADA systems, also based on e-terraHabitat, known as "ETPL" (e-terraPipeline), which have a slightly different record structure for POINT and ANALOG records. Both expose their data via GE's SAMPLER technology, which at a basic level works the same for both types of SCADA systems, the difference is in the record structure related to POINTS and ANALOGS that is slightly different for each system.

The existing Pi Connector would need a…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other specific PI Connector  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED