PI Interfaces

Welcome to the PI Interfaces feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Interfaces. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PI BES Interface (i.e. PI EMDVB): aliasing of Unit Names

Currently the interface creates PI UnitBatches or Event Frames associated to Units (PI Units or AF Elements) determined by some placeholders specified at the "Unit Procedure" level; the default is "[AREA]\[PROCESSCELL]\[UNIT]".
    Moreover the interface properly created a PI MDB or AF structure under an alternate module path, specified in "Batch Setup" section (/SMP parameter).

It would be useful to have a way to specify different Units instead of the one determined by the [UNIT] placeholder (at least).
    As an example, suppose we want to register unit batches for a PI Unit called Reactor1" when the [UNIT] placeholder values "U6-K54100", and…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Batch Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. UFL Designer should include a test mode to verify INI behavior with a data file.

One can do this, to some extent, piecemeal with functionality the UFL Designer already has. However, it's a very manual process and does not actually have a way to show what data would be sent to PI for a particular file. An explicit test mode or test function, where the Designer outputs what the results might be for a supplied data file (Values of each variable, what would have been sent to PI, et.c) would be very helpful in building and verifying INI files.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UFL Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. UniInt should include a test mode for all interfaces that collects data but does not send it to PI.

This functionality would allow users to test the connection to the data source and inspect the data that is retrieved without sending it to PI. That data might be written to a text file, for example.

This would allow users to verify settings and data integrity without needing to delete archived values, for example. Potentially, this functionality would also have some type of PI point selection so that user would be able to select which tags the interface should use for this test mode, rather than using all tags (The interface would essentially assume that all other tags have scan…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PI ICU should not allow PItoPI COLD failover configuration

As of version 3.8.1 COLD failover is no longer supported by the PI to PI Interface (https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/Enhancements/19255OSI8). However, the PI Interface configuration utility still allows COLD failover to be selected. This leads to an invalid configuration and the interface refuses to start.

PI ICU should not allow the selection of COLD failover as it does not allow HOT failover, both of which are not supported by the interface.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI to PI Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. BACNet: Add support for Conversion Factor PI Point attribute to PI Interface for BACNet

Add support for Conversion Factor PI Point attribute to PI Interface for BACNet.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 118928.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. DNP3: handle invalid timestamps from the RTU

If the RTU provides a timestamp of 0 when using RTU provided timestamps, which does not conform to the DNP3 spec, allow the option to timestamp the event with PI time or drop the event altogether.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 123208.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Encrypt trafic between interfaces/connectors and the Data Archive

Add an option to encrypt trafic between interfaces/connectors and the PI Data Archive

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. EFGEN - Allow Active Point Trigger Based on Specific Value/Logic/Calculation

Using EFGen, currently an EF can only be triggered based on the zeroth state of the Active Point. This makes is impossible to trigger different events based on specific values of a single PI Tag.

I am trying to implement a batch structure using Event Frames with production run as the parent and different phases of the run as children. I have a single PI Tag that lists the current phase of the run in real time. It would be nice to be able to trigger the phase child events based on the specific string values of this tag.

PI…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improved handling of PI Write failures

Provide a configuration option in UniInt interfaces, to enable shutdown of the interface if it consistently receives error messages when attempting to write to PI. Recently had an interface successfully connect to PI but not achieve write access to its tags; would've been nice to have this interface gracefully shut down or restart, and allow its UFO failover partner to serve the data flow

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Davis to Pi Interface - Additional sensor functionality

Add functionality for the Davis to Pi Interface to read additional sensor data points. The Davis to Pi Interface does not support the use of additional sensors, such as a second or third temperature sensor. The Davis console supports additional sensors, but the Pi Interface cannot read them.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remotely view logs

I understand that you can remotely view logs using pigetmsg. However this solution does not work for me as the interface is on a controlled network that only allows outbound traffic. I would like a way for the interface node to be able to push out interface logs somewhere such as to my DA, that way I could use SMT to view my interface logs.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Determine the packet loss of the ping (Ping Interface tag) out to another tag

Scenario: I have a tag that pings site A. I have the response times, which quantifies the response times of the network, but this line is also a bit slow and we suspect packet loss, but I want that in a tag.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add -f (Ping Switch) to OSIsoft Ping Interface

Enhancement for Ping Interface to add -f switch 'Set Don't Fragment flag in packet. When sending large packets we do not want to Fragment.

Case: When monitoring a site ping worked for small packets, however with large packets sent, the site showed packet loss which in turn was an actual hub issue missed when using Ping Interface.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PI UFL: Support String Interpolation for Print() Function

Allow Print() function to evaluate runtime variables before outputting text to the log.

For example: I have created a Counter variable that increments for each event that is successfully sent to PI. I would like to output the final tally to the logs but printing the raw number [Print(Counter)] is not valuable without context. Instead, I would like to combine literal string text with the dynamic value of this Counter variable:

Print("Events sent to PI: {Counter}")

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UFL Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. OPC DA interface to read data for advise and polled tags at startup

If digital tags are part of advise groups and the flag to write "Intf Shut" is enabled in the OPC DA interface, then digital tags can read "Intf Shut" for hours/days/weeks, if the value does not change after an interface restart (for example, 2 pumps on the same duty, and they are only swapped every 2-3weeks). The unused pump reads "intf Shut" until it is started.

It would be better for the OPC interface to get new values for ALL tags after a restart, regardless of whether the value has stayed the same before and after the restart, and timestamp…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Interface for OPC DA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add subscribeCOV support to BACnet Interface

My device only supports SubscribeCOV, but the PI Interface for BACnet only supports SubscribeCOVProperty. I would like the PI Interface for BACnet to support SubscribeCOV like the PI Connector for BACnet already does.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PI Buffer subsystem - management tool + robustness improvement

1. Having the capability of acknowledging the message in the PI Buffer GUI and removing the "red flag" when messages acknoledged.
    2. Having the Buffer updated automatically when a tag is renamed, without having to restart the buffer.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Parameter for restarting the interface if no connection to the OPC server can be established after a defined period of time

We use the Phoenix Contact Firewall with the OPC Inspector. When the OPC server restarts or breaks the connection for a few seconds, the firewall blocks all ports except port 135. After initial connection through this port, new firewall rules are dynamically established for DCOM connections. If connection break to OPC Server we have to restart interface manually.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Interface for OPC DA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide support for Modbus function code 20

Provide support for Modbus function code 20

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Modbus Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Double check window required when deleting an instance in PI Event Frames Interface Manager

As a PI System Admin, I would like to see a confirmation window (acceptation pop-up message), when deleting Interface instances in PI Event Frames Interface Manager. This would minimize the deletion of the instances by error.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED