PI Interfaces

Welcome to the PI Interfaces feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Interfaces. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use /opcstopstat when both interfaces in failover pair are shut down

We would like to have some sort of digital state such as "Intf Shut" written to all OPC tags when both interfaces in a failover pair are shut down.

Currently, the /opcstopstat and /stopstat parameters (which write a specified state to all tags when the interface is shut down) are ignored if the interface is in failover. We'd like for some sort of status to be written to tags when no data is being collected by either interface.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Interface for OPC DA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Streamlined management of PI Interface for SNMP .pwd file

When using the interface to gather data for hundreds of SNMP devices, managing the .pwd file becomes very burdensome due to an inability to format the file. Comments are helpful in sorting devices, but they are removed upon encryption. It would be nice to see a tool that helps with the management of passwords.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PI Buffer Subsystem doesn't use the user who is logged in

PI Buffer Subsystem must have a option to set up the user account is logged instead of using Windows Domain or Local account that is running the windows service. This is a huge security issue when using Buffer on client computer to send manual data because you will need to create a Mapping or Trust and give permission in so many pi points when the user logged on computer should have access to write in few pi points.

Please prioritize this one!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improved handling of PI Write failures

Provide a configuration option in UniInt interfaces, to enable shutdown of the interface if it consistently receives error messages when attempting to write to PI. Recently had an interface successfully connect to PI but not achieve write access to its tags; would've been nice to have this interface gracefully shut down or restart, and allow its UFO failover partner to serve the data flow

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Davis to Pi Interface - Additional sensor functionality

Add functionality for the Davis to Pi Interface to read additional sensor data points. The Davis to Pi Interface does not support the use of additional sensors, such as a second or third temperature sensor. The Davis console supports additional sensors, but the Pi Interface cannot read them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remotely view logs

I understand that you can remotely view logs using pigetmsg. However this solution does not work for me as the interface is on a controlled network that only allows outbound traffic. I would like a way for the interface node to be able to push out interface logs somewhere such as to my DA, that way I could use SMT to view my interface logs.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expand failover functionality in Schneider-Electric Foxboro fxbais interface

Failover mechanism in fxbais (Schneider-Electric PI interface for Windows) doesn't lead to a failover when the primary interface node loses connection to the network (f.i. when its NIC fails). It just starts buffering and sends its data after the connection is back again.
    It keeps on updating its watchdog CALC block on IA, so no take over is initiated.
    Some applications require "near real time" data, so if it comes in a day later, it's not very useful.
    In such a case, the secondary interface node could perfectly take over the data collection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Determine the packet loss of the ping (Ping Interface tag) out to another tag

Scenario: I have a tag that pings site A. I have the response times, which quantifies the response times of the network, but this line is also a bit slow and we suspect packet loss, but I want that in a tag.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add -f (Ping Switch) to OSIsoft Ping Interface

Enhancement for Ping Interface to add -f switch 'Set Don't Fragment flag in packet. When sending large packets we do not want to Fragment.

Case: When monitoring a site ping worked for small packets, however with large packets sent, the site showed packet loss which in turn was an actual hub issue missed when using Ping Interface.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PI UFL: Support String Interpolation for Print() Function

Allow Print() function to evaluate runtime variables before outputting text to the log.

For example: I have created a Counter variable that increments for each event that is successfully sent to PI. I would like to output the final tally to the logs but printing the raw number [Print(Counter)] is not valuable without context. Instead, I would like to combine literal string text with the dynamic value of this Counter variable:

Print("Events sent to PI: {Counter}")

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UFL Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. OPC DA interface to read data for advise and polled tags at startup

If digital tags are part of advise groups and the flag to write "Intf Shut" is enabled in the OPC DA interface, then digital tags can read "Intf Shut" for hours/days/weeks, if the value does not change after an interface restart (for example, 2 pumps on the same duty, and they are only swapped every 2-3weeks). The unused pump reads "intf Shut" until it is started.

It would be better for the OPC interface to get new values for ALL tags after a restart, regardless of whether the value has stayed the same before and after the restart, and timestamp…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Interface for OPC DA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. PI PerfMon interface to support ArcReplace

Right now PerfMon only supports ArcNoReplace. PerfMon has a history of failing over if a server is unreachable. And since PerfMon only supports Hot failover, every time it fails over the new interface tries to write values that the old one already wrote. I would like to be able to specify ArcNoReplace so I don't get an error flood every time the interface fails over.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve DNP3 Output performance

Currently DNP3 outputs are done one event at a time. We could improve performance by either supporting multiple DNP messages per TCP packet or multiple analog output commands per DNP message.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide support for Modbus function code 20

Provide support for Modbus function code 20

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Modbus Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Double check window required when deleting an instance in PI Event Frames Interface Manager

As a PI System Admin, I would like to see a confirmation window (acceptation pop-up message), when deleting Interface instances in PI Event Frames Interface Manager. This would minimize the deletion of the instances by error.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Batch Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. POINDexter app be modified such that addresses beyond 64000 can be used

POINDexter application be modified such that addresses beyond 64000 are able to be ‘tested’ / polled, rather than having to configure a tag to read those registers

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Modbus Interfaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support string tags in PI Interface for CSI UCOS

The newest version of UCOS now supports string tags.  Currently the CSIUCOS interface (1.0.0.22 as of writing) does not support these types of tags.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PI Interface for GE HABConnect support of SCTIME request

Currently, the PI Interface for GE HABConnect supports FLDTIME requests, which provides the timestamp of the field device.  In the absence of this, the default is the timestamp of the Sampler when HAB API makes an unsolicited update to the interface. 

If SCTIME was a request that was supported, the timestamp that the sampler received data from the field device could be returned instead.  This would be helpful for two reasons. 

1.  As an alternative to FLDTIME: SCTIME would standardize the timestamps coming in when field devices are not on synced time clocks

2.  As an alternative to the update…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Source and destination tag mapping list

Customer would like the ability to have PItoPI create a list of tags that includes the FULL name of the source tags, as well as the destination tags they are mapped to.  This will greatly assist in managing tags that are being sent to a remote customer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI to PI Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED