PI Developer Technologies

Welcome to the PI Developer Technologies feature suggestion box. This forum covers the PI AF SDK, PI Web API, PI OPC DA and HDA Servers, and the PI SQL family. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for documentation feedback and bugs, please report to Documentation@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve PI Developer Technologies for you?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Complete PI Web API documentation

As a PI Web API user I want to know exactly what kind of Body Parameters (their defaults and description) are supported by PI Web API methods. The current sample requests are not sufficient because they do not describe the values for body parameter, though many parameters have unique restrictions.

Here is an example of desired content:
    https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/rest/StreamEntity.html

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Help / Documentation / Videos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    PLANNED  ·  Ray Verhoeff responded

We have received a lot of feedback on this. We are looking at on-line help with better samples of queries and responses. We are looking at some web frameworks for offering a live “Try It” feature for PI Web API. We are also looking at comprehensive search within the PI Web API help system.

2. Add DATEADD and DATEDIFF functions to PI SQL Commander

When any time related functions need to be performed against timestamp columns in PI SQL Commander, one needs to utilize a significant amount of conversions to make this work. For example, if one needs to round timestamps to the nearest minute or the nearest hour, a CASE statement with multiple CASTs needs to be done to get this to work.

If T-SQL DATEADD and DATEDIFF commands were implemented, this would simplify the query by a significant amount. Similarly, in PL/SQL, the ROUND function is able to round the datetime value directly, which would fit perfectly to this scenario.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are planning to add several functions that are equivalent to T-SQL functions. This will make it easier for the PI SQL products to integrate with the Linked Server in Microsoft SQL Server.

3. Allow parameters to be passed to a request body in the Batch Controller

I would like the ability to pass response values from one request into the body of a dependent request using the batch controller to avoid making 2 calls to the PI Web API.

Currently,  I can only use Parameters in subsequent URLs, but not bodies.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is in our product backlog. I will update this post when we have a firm delivery date.

4. Allow PIOLEDB Enterprise to connect directly to a PI Data Archive

If PI OLEDB Provider is not going to be further developed, allow PI OLEDB Enterprise to connect directly to a PI Data Archive.
    There are times when an SQL type query is needed, but the data structure has not been mapped to an AF server yet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a new SQL query processing engine under construction. We call it the Real-Time Query Processing Engine, or RTQP Engine. We are targeting improved performance and scalability but we are also improving some of the table designs to make common queries a bit easier. We have talked to many customers about their use cases. It turns out that direct access to PI Data Archive tags is still very important. We also found several hybrid use cases such a summarizing values from a PI tag over the period of an Event Frame, and Kenneth Barber’s excellent example of aligning AF Attributes with PI Point attributes. So, we will be adding direct access to PI tags and data but not in the first release.

5. Improve AF Search PI AF SDK with ORed option

PI AF SDK - Search Query Syntax - Filters

Allow results to be ORed. Currently Results can only be ANDed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI AF SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is planned for the 2018 R2 release for AF based searches. Note that while the user interface in PSE will allow OR clauses to be typed in, there will not yet be a user interface in 2018 R2 to help you build OR clauses.

6. Service to find changes in the PI System

As a programmer, I want to be able to use the PI Web API to find out about changes in the PI System. This mean Elements, Templates, Attributes, Event Frames and PI Point configuration changes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mention in the AF SDK reference documentation that exception is not applied by the UpdateValues method

The UpdateValues method does not implement by itself the exception mechanism. Exception is applied on the client side, for instance by UniInt interfaces.

As a developer,  I would like this fact to be mentioned in the documentation to avoid confusion:
    https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Documentation/PI-AF-SDK/html/M_OSIsoft_AF_Data_AFData_UpdateValues_1.htm

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI AF SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Whitelist/Blacklist KST Members

As a user, I would like to restrict connections from the PI OPC Server to only some members of the KST by either implementing a whitelist or a blacklist.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PLANNED  ·  1 comment  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the “Create Timestamps” functionality back into the OPC DA Server product

In the PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 product, there was a “Create Timestamps” functionality (found in the OPCServerConfig Tool). This option had the PI OPC Server create timestamps for OPC clients. I rely on this functionality heavily for an OPC client I use every day. Thus, currently I have to stay on PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 since this functionality was removed from the newer version. I would like to have this functionality back.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand this feature is important and we are planning to restore it. We will give you an update on the release schedule when this is finalized.

10. Add searchFullHierarchy property for GetAttributeTemplates

It should be possible to get all nested attribute templates without having to make multiple calls to the Web API.

0 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base