PI Developer Technologies

Welcome to the PI Developer Technologies feedback page!  

This forum covers the PI AF SDK, PI Web API, PI OPC DA and HDA Servers, and the PI SQL family. We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Introduce a PI OPC UA Server

The OPC landscape is shifting away from DA/HDA and towards UA servers. A significant number of OPC client tools are being created that connect to OPC UA servers, and none of these are compatible with PI without the use of a third party UA wrapper since we only provide DA and HDA servers.

133 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

33 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have decided at this time that we will not create a PI OPC UA Server. We will continue to evaluate the OPC UA data egress use case in the future, but this capability is not on our current roadmap.

We will update this thread if the status changes.

2. Implement a checkpoint system for index crawls

When the crawler fails on an incremental crawl, the index search must perform a complete rebuild of the index. It would be beneficial for there to be a way to revert to a previous built index just prior to the failed incremental crawl so that the index file is available. This is particularly useful for large data sources that take hours or days to crawl before they're usable again.

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that PI Vision 2020 has been released and no longer uses the crawler, this work is now unnecessary. Therefore the status is updated to declined.

3. Tools to assist in configuring and testing Kerberos delegation

As a PI Administrator, I need assistance configuring and testing Kerberos delegation, so that I can access the full functionality of the products without exposing my system to potential threats.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DECLINED  ·  Frank Garriel responded

Configuring Kerberos continues to be difficult and important. While testing the tools that were in development, we found it was unable to reduce the difficulty in configuration.

4. Add DATEADD and DATEDIFF functions to PI SQL Commander

When any time related functions need to be performed against timestamp columns in PI SQL Commander, one needs to utilize a significant amount of conversions to make this work. For example, if one needs to round timestamps to the nearest minute or the nearest hour, a CASE statement with multiple CASTs needs to be done to get this to work.

If T-SQL DATEADD and DATEDIFF commands were implemented, this would simplify the query by a significant amount. Similarly, in PL/SQL, the ROUND function is able to round the datetime value directly, which would fit perfectly to this scenario.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Store index files somewhere other than the program data folder

As a PI system administrator I want to specify where search index files are stored or make sure that the index files are not consuming space on an OS drive , so that I can manage/optimize the disk usage on my server machine.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that PI Vision 2020 has been released and no longer uses the search index, this work is now unnecessary. Therefore the status is updated to declined.

6. Allow PIOLEDB Enterprise to connect directly to a PI Data Archive

If PI OLEDB Provider is not going to be further developed, allow PI OLEDB Enterprise to connect directly to a PI Data Archive.
    There are times when an SQL type query is needed, but the data structure has not been mapped to an AF server yet.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This capability is not currently a priority. As such, I am setting the status of this idea to declined. We will update this thread if there is any change.

7. Service to find changes in the PI System

As a programmer, I want to be able to use the PI Web API to find out about changes in the PI System. This mean Elements, Templates, Attributes, Event Frames and PI Point configuration changes.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature is not a priority at this time. We will continue to evaluate the use case for this capability and update this thread if the status changes.

8. Support multiple entries for nameFilters.

We would like to GET elements/id/attributes?nameFilter=attr1name;attr2name;attr3name - like an OR statement in SQL. This would be consistent with selectedFields=webid;path;name

Currently we would have to either make more or heavier batch calls, or micromanage with categories, or strategically rename attributes to allow wildcard nameFilters like attr?name above.

Kind regards, Gregor

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. PI Web API - return queries in custom timezone

Add functionality to do the above instead of making the client application perform the task

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DECLINED  ·  Ray Verhoeff responded

We would like to restrict the features of PI Web API to just data access. Client libraries exist on almost all platforms to convert UTC timestamps to local time.

10. Web based client using PI Web API

Just as we have clients like PSE(AF SDK), SMT(PI SDK) it will be very useful to have one which is based on PI Web API. This can be used for CRUD operations along with making configuration changes and testing security.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

DECLINED  ·  Frank Garriel responded

This is not a good fit for including in PI Web API. Perhaps one could be built using PI Web API, but there are no plans to develop one in PI Web API

11. Add the “Create Timestamps” functionality back into the OPC DA Server product

In the PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 product, there was a “Create Timestamps” functionality (found in the OPCServerConfig Tool). This option had the PI OPC Server create timestamps for OPC clients. I rely on this functionality heavily for an OPC client I use every day. Thus, currently I have to stay on PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 since this functionality was removed from the newer version. I would like to have this functionality back.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Let PI SQL Client access SQL Tables

Let PI SQL Client access SQL Tables

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI SQL Client  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PI SQL Client provides access to the PI System in a relational view. It is purely a tool for access OSIsoft resources, and there are no plans to allow access to external resources.

That being said, we do support adding the PI System as a linked server inside SQL Server Management Studio, so that both SQL calls and PI OLEDB calls can be made in the same work space. More information is available here: https://customers.osisoft.com/s/knowledgearticle?knowledgeArticleUrl=KB01143

13. Allow decimal representations of days, months, and years in time strings

PI Time offsets only allow for integer numbers of days, months, and years. For example, -1d is allowed, but -1.5d is not. Hours, minutes, and seconds allow decimals. There are a number of client tool situations where the customer would like to offset by a decimal number of days; in these cases, they will need to convert to hours before proceeding.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI AF SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We cannot use fractions in many cases due to variability. For example, DST, leap year, # of days in a month, etc.

From our documentation for AFTimeSpan.Add:
    “Intervals year, month, and day do not allow fractions because they are variable length. For example, adding a fraction of a month would require choosing between a month containing 28, 29, 30, or 31 days.”

14. Commit to combining PI Web API and PI AF SDK

By my understanding, PI Web API is cross-platform but is slower than and lacks some of the features of PI AF SDK. Over time, PI Web API's speed and feature set approach those of PI AF SDK, making platform compatibility a progressively more significant difference where PI Web API wins out. The writing is on the wall but no one is saying anything.

Please officially commit bringing the speed and features of PI AF SDK into PI Web API so that PI Web API is the only API that developers use, and then PI AF SDK can be deprecated. This…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PI Web API is based on the AF SDK, so deprecating the AF SDK is not a viable option.

That being said, what specific capabilities are you looking for to enhance the PI Web API?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED