How can we improve PI Developer Technologies for you?

Introduce a AF OPC DA/UA Server

Title says it all!
It would be awesome to have an AF OPC Server exposing real-time data from AF element hierarchy using any type of attributes data reference.

3 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

acote shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  Ray Verhoeff responded  · 

We have started work on an OPC UA server for the PI System which will expose asset and time series data in the PI System through the OPC UA specification. We consider this experimental work. We will certainly release it if we are sure we can meet your requirements of features, performance, and scalability. The OPC UA spec is large so I need to know what parts are the most important. Names of OPC UA client applications would be helpful.

This is an identical request: https://feedback.osisoft.com/admin/v3/suggestions/18844639/activity

3 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Vincent Kaufmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While the name may not imply it, any implementation of of OPC UA within the PI ecosphere that did not include AF functionality wouldn't be worth the time. I Since you seem quite interested in an OPC UA solution, I would encourage you to reach out to the product manager of our Developer Technology suite for a possible interview to discuss what you would like to see in the product.

Ray Verhoeff - ray@osisoft.com

• acote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Vincent Kaufmann, "I believe this request would be encompas..."
    No. having a PI OPC UA server is its own thing... and it only applies PI Points access from PI Servers

Having an AF OPC server (whatever the type) exposing AF Attributes is fundamentally different, and way more important in my opinion.

Let's take an exemple:
    I have a Speed PI Point which I need to look summaries over 10mins (Min, Max, Avg, StdDev)... If I want to display these information into an external system through PI OPC DA, I need to build an Analysis that records every summary in individual PI Points. Therefore overloading Analysis with useless calculation, multiplicating PI Points and Data (ok this could be severely compressed) where all of this could be avoided.

With an AF OPC Server, the same PI Point could be the source of multiple AF Attributes configured to show the desired summary, each attributes exposed as OPC Item.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED