PI Developer Technologies

Welcome to the PI Developer Technologies feature suggestion box. This forum covers the PI AF SDK, PI Web API, PI OPC DA and HDA Servers, and the PI SQL family. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for documentation feedback and bugs, please report to Documentation@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve PI Developer Technologies for you?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Options for PI Web API Call Statistics

Add auditing or a view of statistics for the calls or requests done by each individual application. Allow a PI Admin to see which user or application is making a specific call and see how long it takes to complete to monitor performance and potentially resource intensive Web API calls.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Implement a checkpoint system for index crawls

When the crawler fails on an incremental crawl, the index search must perform a complete rebuild of the index. It would be beneficial for there to be a way to revert to a previous built index just prior to the failed incremental crawl so that the index file is available. This is particularly useful for large data sources that take hours or days to crawl before they're usable again.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add bulk delete methods in the Web API

As a PI Web API user, I would like a simple method to perform bulk deletes of a particular attribute or PI tag. Currently, a bulk delete requires 2 calls. One to retrieve the event I wish to delete and another to delete it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow parameters to be passed to a request body in the Batch Controller

I would like the ability to pass response values from one request into the body of a dependent request using the batch controller to avoid making 2 calls to the PI Web API.

Currently,  I can only use Parameters in subsequent URLs, but not bodies.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add a PI Collective member info PI WebAPI controller

As an end-user, I want to be able to see to which PI Collective member I am connecting to. I also want to be able to toggle programmatically from one PI Collective member to the other so I can make sure the informaiton I am seeing is aligned and in synch accross all PI Collective members without going into thick PI clients or through log files.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Time Context Value Retrieval

Example Scenario:

We want to know the Specific Electricity Consumption (kWh/mt) over a time period (selected by users).

Specific Electricity Consumption = (Electricity Consumption(kWh)) / (Raw Feed Consumed(mt))

Where, Electricity Consumption (kWh) and Raw Feed Consumed (mt) are both attributes with PIPoint data reference, using value retrieval method: TimeMethod = Time Range; TimeRangeMethod = Total; EventWeighted

Then, Specific Electricity Consumption is attribute with Formula data reference, simply: A=Electricity Consumption; B=Raw Feed Consumed;[A/B]

So, on PI Vision, it can display the specific electricity consumption with the correct values. However, if we query through PI Web API for our own webpage, it…

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Restrict Access to Web API Endpoint by User

As a PI Web API administrator, I would like to natively restrict which users can and cannot see particular URLs and controllers on my PI Web API endpoint.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support attribute types referencing AF Elements and Attributes

We use attributes to reference elements and attributes extensively to model context and relationships in our AF models. Is this going to be supported in the future? Kind regards, Gregor

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This item is under review. Currently considering the following behavior for attributes links:
    Current behavior:
    Error returned: “Unsupported data type: ‘OSIsoft.AF.Asset.AFAttribute’.”
    Similar error for AFElement.

Change under consideration:
    Value link for Attributes of value type “Attribute” returns the referenced attribute’s GET response (“/attributes/[webid]”)
    Value link for Attributes of value type “Element” returns the referenced element’s GET response (“/elements/[webid]”)

9. AdHoc StreamSet actions fail if there is at least one bad WebId

Currently calling any of the AdHoc StreamSet actions causes the entire call to fail if the request includes at least one bad WebId. It would be better if the response came back successful and only the sub-items with bad WebIds included an error message.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Service to find changes in the PI System

As a programmer, I want to be able to use the PI Web API to find out about changes in the PI System. This mean Elements, Templates, Attributes, Event Frames and PI Point configuration changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is still planned. This will be included as part of Stream Updates. The Stream Updates feature is a “Community Technology Preview” and is not intended for use production.

Check out PI Web API 2018 SP1 (available soon), for the revision of Stream Updates that implements much of this feature.

11. Annotate Elements with Web API

Add functionality to annotate AF Elements using Web API.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add support for AFElement Versions

Add support for AFElement versions to PI Web API.
    1. Create a new Element Version by defining the effective date and an optional version comment. 2. Add Get and Find methods which support querying AFElements by setting a QueryDate.
    See also https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/122510-re-how-to-create-a-new-af-element-version-with-pi-web-api and https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/59027

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Return Partial Results From Event Frame Search in PI Web API

Currently when searching for event frames, a 400 error is returned if not all elements in the search exist.

piwebapi/eventFrames/search?databaseWebId=WebId&Element:IN("\\server\AssetSwap\Site2\Asset1";"\\server\AssetSwap\Site2\Asset2"

This is cumbersome especially in the case of asset swapping in PI Vision when parent elements could contain variable child elements. For any parent element that contains less than the max child elements, a 400 error will occur when searching for event frames for related parent elements.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support Performance Equation Syntax for time parameters in the PI Web API

As a Web API developer, I would like to be able to use time PE functions in the Web API using the streams/streamsets controller to allow for complex time queries.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Get Values by Count in the PI Web API

As a PI Web API developer, I would like to retrieve values by specifying a count like you can do in PI SMT and other PI clients. This functionality is exposed by the RecordedValuesByCount in the AF SDK.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow subscribing/unsubscribing to attributes on existing channel connection

The channel/websocket feature of PI Web API would be more useful if it was possible to subscribe/unsubscribe to attributes on an existing channel connection. Currently you have to open the connection with all the WebIds you want in the resource URL. If you want to change which values you are receiving, you would have to close the connection and open a new one. Adding this new feature would also solve issues with maximum URL length limitations.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an issue we definitely need to address for both the reasons you suggested. We should be able to add and remove attributes while a channel is open. We also need a mechanism for signing up for large numbers of WebIds when the list would be too long for a URL.

17. Reset Attribute to Template method in PI Web API

Synced to PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/29447

As a developer using PI Web API, I would like to have a Reset an attribute to template method using the Web API so I can program with greater flexibility.

I am attempting to create a .NET Core App and this limitation prevents us from using PI Web API exclusively in automated AF Builds

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide programmatic interface to manage OMF applications

Enable Create,Read, Update, Delete operations for OMF applications via an API so that the process is standardized and efficient/effective as opposed to manual and error prone, especially for larger numbers of apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Schedule PI Web API Crawls

The customer would like the ability to schedule crawls for a specific AF database (it's quite large), so that crawls don't interrupt users who need to access the elements in the PI Vision search during their working hours.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add support for AFFile type

To support reading/writing files stored in AF. Read is more important though.
    Started from here: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/37635-access-pdftextdoc-files-from-af-server

I want to be able to use AF as a one-stop place to access my Asset Data. Therefore i want to be able to access Files stored in AF to provide this data alongside all other data through the PI Web API.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED