PI Developer Technologies

Welcome to the PI Developer Technologies feedback page!  

This forum covers the PI AF SDK, PI Web API, PI OPC DA and HDA Servers, and the PI SQL family. We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve PI Developer Technologies for you?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Introduce a PI OPC UA Server

The OPC landscape is shifting away from DA/HDA and towards UA servers. A significant number of OPC client tools are being created that connect to OPC UA servers, and none of these are compatible with PI without the use of a third party UA wrapper since we only provide DA and HDA servers.

79 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

19 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been gathering use cases and information about OPC UA Server functionality as it pertains to OSIsoft products.

There are a number of different requirements to consider, and as such we’re changing the status back to “UNDER REVIEW / RESEARCHING” to more accurately reflect the current status of the work.

At this time, we are not committing to bringing this capability to market.

We will update this thread if the status changes.

2. Allow configuration of the PI OPC DA Server's ProgID

The ProgID of the 2015 PI OPC DA Server is OSISoft.OPCDA2.DA.1, while the ProgID of the 2010 PI OPC DA Server is OPC.DA.1.

Existing client tools that pointed to the 2010 PI OPC DA server will need to be reconfigured to point to the new ProgID after the PI OPC DA server is upgraded to 2015.

While this is done because of an architecture change between the 2010 and 2015 servers, potentially necessitating changes to be made to the client application, it is still desirable in some cases to point it to the new server without changing the ProgID.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Whitelist/Blacklist KST Members

As a user, I would like to restrict connections from the PI OPC Server to only some members of the KST by either implementing a whitelist or a blacklist.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PLANNED  ·  1 comment  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the “Create Timestamps” functionality back into the OPC DA Server product

In the PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 product, there was a “Create Timestamps” functionality (found in the OPCServerConfig Tool). This option had the PI OPC Server create timestamps for OPC clients. I rely on this functionality heavily for an OPC client I use every day. Thus, currently I have to stay on PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 since this functionality was removed from the newer version. I would like to have this functionality back.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    PLANNED  ·  Ray Verhoeff responded

We understand this feature is important and we are planning to restore it. We will give you an update on the release schedule when this is finalized.

5. Windows authentication of clients

As a PI user, I want the OPC DA and HDA Servers to honor the Windows identity of any connected OPC client.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the requirement. It makes sense. We have been looking into it but it turns out to be difficult to do. We used a third-party framework to build the PI OPC DA Server which separates interactions with the OPC client from interactions with the PI Data Archive. It solved a number of problems but unfortunately there is no easy way to have OPC client user credentials flow to the PI Data Archive. We are evaluating our options.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED