PI Developer Technologies

Welcome to the PI Developer Technologies feedback page!  

This forum covers the PI AF SDK, PI Web API, PI OPC DA and HDA Servers, and the PI SQL family. We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Return Partial Results From Event Frame Search in PI Web API

Currently when searching for event frames, a 400 error is returned if not all elements in the search exist.

piwebapi/eventFrames/search?databaseWebId=WebId&Element:IN("\server\AssetSwap\Site2\Asset1";"\server\AssetSwap\Site2\Asset2"

This is cumbersome especially in the case of asset swapping in PI Vision when parent elements could contain variable child elements. For any parent element that contains less than the max child elements, a 400 error will occur when searching for event frames for related parent elements.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we appreciate the interest the community has for this suggestion, we have decided to decline this item in favor of other high priority work. Thank you for your feedback, and please continue sharing suggestions for how we can improve the PI Developer Technologies for you!

2. af sdk PIPointQuery should allow multiple use of filter name per AND condition, so ranges can be searched

Currently the PIPointQuery cannot contain a filter condition with same filter name twice per AND condition of the query string.

PointId:>5 AND PointId:<10.

This would cause an error.

Therefore filtering for a certain range is annoying as both result lists then have to be compared for common elements, workaround for the AND in above condition.

Enhancement:

Introduce a "BETWEEN" operator for the filter condition.

Allow multiple use of filter names in the same AND condition.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI AF SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Apologies as I meant to set this item to declined with my previous update.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have no plans to work on this feature in the near future, so I am setting the status to declined. I will update the status if we eventually schedule this work.

3. Support Performance Equation Syntax for time parameters in the PI Web API

As a Web API developer, I would like to be able to use time PE functions in the Web API using the streams/streamsets controller to allow for complex time queries.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have no plans to work on this feature in the near future, so I am setting the status to declined. I will update the status if we eventually schedule this work.

4. Expose AF element modification timestamps to WebAPI

Expose AF element modification timestamps to WebAPI so that caching mechanisms in middle ware or consumer apps have a programmatic way to determine if the structure needs to be crawled/refreshed.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5. Add 'Time Zone = Server' to PI OLEDB Enterprise

'Time Zone = Server' is available in PI OLEDB Provider, but has not been added to 'PI OLEDB Enterprise'.
    We have PI Data Archives in multiple time zones and require the ability to select the data in the server time zone.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6. Automatically update Transpose Function in SQL Commander when referenced Element Template name is updated

In PI SQL Commander, users can create Transpose Functions that are linked to Element Templates in AF. When the referenced Element Template is renamed in PI System Explorer, the Transpose Function in PI SQL Commander is no longer able to find the Element Template which breaks the Function and underlying Data Table.

Users are not aware that the Transpose Function or the underlying Transpose Data Table are broken until they attempt to query the Table or Transpose Function.  It would be ideal if the Transpose function could either update this reference automatically or if the function referenced the GUID of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7. Add in the Element Hierarchy table information to determine the primary reference of a copied reference element

When an element is copied as reference (parent-child) elsewhere in the tree it then has multiple parents. One of it is the primary parent. This information needs to be added to the hierarchy tables.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8. PI Web API - return queries in custom timezone

Add functionality to do the above instead of making the client application perform the task

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

DECLINED  ·  Ray Verhoeff responded

We would like to restrict the features of PI Web API to just data access. Client libraries exist on almost all platforms to convert UTC timestamps to local time.

9. Web based client using PI Web API

Just as we have clients like PSE(AF SDK), SMT(PI SDK) it will be very useful to have one which is based on PI Web API. This can be used for CRUD operations along with making configuration changes and testing security.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DECLINED  ·  Frank Garriel responded

This is not a good fit for including in PI Web API. Perhaps one could be built using PI Web API, but there are no plans to develop one in PI Web API

10. Allow PI OLEDB Enterprise client to specify which member of a PI Data Archive Collective to connect to.

Enable functionality for PI OLEDB Enterprise that will allow the client to specify which member of a PI Data Archive collective they wish to connect to. This functionality has already been enabled for PSE and would like something similar for PI OLEDB Ent.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11. Add point attributes such as "instrumenttag" to "fields" for search controller

Currently, as shown in the link below,

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Documentation/PI-Web-API/help/controllers/search/actions/query.html

The "instrumenttag" as well as other PI point attributes are not selectable in "fields".

The selectable ones are shown below:

afcategory; attributes; datatype; description; endtime; haschildren; itemtype; links; matchedfields; name; plottable; starttime; template; uniqueid; uom; webid

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have reviewed this idea, and it’s not something we plan to implement at this time. Even though we are declining this idea for now, it is still open to comments. We do want to hear your opinion. Thank you for the feedback, and please, keep sharing!

12. structured annotations oledb

Have PI OLEDB work with structured annotations.Hopefully at the very least with String Type annotations.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI OLEDB Driver  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have reviewed this idea, and it’s not something we plan to implement at this time. Even though we are declining this idea for now, it is still open to comments. We do want to hear your opinion. Thank you for the feedback, and please, keep sharing!

13. Be able to override the default value for the maximum number of items returned by a query.

We would like to override the default value for the maximum number of items returned by a query. Currently, the MaxCount parameter needs to be added to every query that will return more than 1000 results.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add the “Create Timestamps” functionality back into the OPC DA Server product

In the PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 product, there was a “Create Timestamps” functionality (found in the OPCServerConfig Tool). This option had the PI OPC Server create timestamps for OPC clients. I rely on this functionality heavily for an OPC client I use every day. Thus, currently I have to stay on PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 since this functionality was removed from the newer version. I would like to have this functionality back.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow PI Web API to access the AFPort Class

Customer is referring to the AF Elements Ports that can be seen with PSE and are implemented in AF SDK in AFPort class.

Customer wants to access to the same features with PI Web API, which is currently not possible. Customer wants to know are there alternative options? Or will it be implemented in Web API in the future?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Web API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16. Windows authentication of clients

As a PI user, I want the OPC DA and HDA Servers to honor the Windows identity of any connected OPC client.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  OPC DA & HDA Servers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17. Let PI SQL Client access SQL Tables

Let PI SQL Client access SQL Tables

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI SQL Client  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PI SQL Client provides access to the PI System in a relational view. It is purely a tool for access OSIsoft resources, and there are no plans to allow access to external resources.

That being said, we do support adding the PI System as a linked server inside SQL Server Management Studio, so that both SQL calls and PI OLEDB calls can be made in the same work space. More information is available here: https://customers.osisoft.com/s/knowledgearticle?knowledgeArticleUrl=KB01143

18. Allow conditions in Batch Controller

I would like to be able to have conditionals in my requests to the batch controllers.
    Consider this use case : I want to create an element and its parent, but the parent may already exists.

At the moment, I have to make 2 seperate calls: One to check if the parent exists. Then a use the appropriate batch requests to create only the child or create both the parent and child

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Don't install SQL Commander Lite with OLEDB Drivers Automatically

We did install the SQL Client software on our SQL server, but there was no option to exclude the SQL Commander Lite. So, we had to turn around and uninstall SQL Commander Lite. I'd just like to suggest for future install packages that there be an option to exclude SQL Commander Lite.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI OLEDB Driver  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

SQL Commander Lite is included so that customers can easily test the functionality of their installation. As the default tool for testing functionality and building queries, we will continue to ship SQL Commander Lite with PI OLEDB.

20. Reset Attribute to Template method in PI Web API

Synced to PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/29447

As a developer using PI Web API, I would like to have a Reset an attribute to template method using the Web API so I can program with greater flexibility.

I am attempting to create a .NET Core App and this limitation prevents us from using PI Web API exclusively in automated AF Builds

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED