PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for documentation feedback and bugs, please report to Documentation@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple instances for Asset Analytics

As a PI administrator I would like to be able to create multiple instances of "PI Analysis Service" windows service for these reasons:
    - avoid new potentially problematic analysis from affecting the ones that are operational and working correctly by setting one production instance and one test instance for example.
    - every instance could have its own log files and we could move some analyses to a new instance to troubleshoot them
    - make possible to distribute the resources usage for asset analytics on more than one server

54 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

29 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Future Data support for Rollup Analysis

Rollup calculations should support future data for the input attributes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Additional documentation and examples to reference non-primary referenced Elements on Event Frames Templates

Some users asked for an enhancement of the documentation/ guide videos regarding syntax for referencing a non-primary element on a PI Point attribute from Event frame templates. The OSIsoft live guide does not provide enough information and/or examples about this and may lead to confusion.

As an example, one customer wanted to create an attribute on an Event Frame Template referencing a Pi point attribute belonging to a non-primary reference element at the same level as the primary element on the AF elements hierarchy. In order to do this, it is necessary to use the following syntax and logic:

.\Elements[.]\..\.\[@Name…

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow changes to pitimeout table (tuning parameters) to be audited

I can be helpful when tracking down issues or troubleshooting past events what the values of tuning parameters were at a given time. Adding the ability to Audit this table would allow retrospective insight into tuning parameter configurations.

A similar enhancement specifically regarding Auditing can be found here:
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/18740068-track-if-auditing-was-turned-off

17 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow specifying Primary attribute category

Allow specifying primary attribute category in AF and allow to use following options in the "Group by -  Category" menu in PI System Explorer:
    - show attributes in all categories
    - show attributes in primary category only (hide duplicate attributes)

Currently attributes grouped by category are displayed multiple times which makes the attribute list very large and doesn't always meet end user needs. Some categories can be used for calculations only (for example, rollup) and should not be exposed to the end users. Having capability to display primary category only (not only in PI System Explorer but in PI Vision…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Analytics function for Last Good Value

We have come across a number of occasions where we want to bring in the last good value of an attribute as an input to an analytics.  But there is no way to do this without additional attributes and analytics.  It would be convenient if a function existed that brought in the last good value of the attribute.  This is particularly useful when your data source is known to send NULL value frequent which translate into No Data or Bad Input.  One specific example:

We have a number of analytics that only run if one of our engine is on. …

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Notification rules to return an EF attribute value belonging to a different event frame in AF

I have a scenario where I would like that a certain Notification Rule, set for an Event Frame analysis (EF1), allows to return the value of an EF attribute belonging to a different Event Frame (EF2).

On this scenario, the EF2 is triggered and finishes inside the time period of EF1.

I would like to have the possibility that when EF1 is triggered the notification rules allow to find the value of the attribute belonging to EF2.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Buffer subsystem to handle deleted values

Can buffer subsystem be enhanced to manage value deletions from tags? We have a collective and utilize buffering to send data to both collective members however we have to jump through hoops to delete data from both collective members. It would be nice if the buffer subsystem could handle value deletions just like how it handles all other value adds and replacements.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Have PI Analysis Service Automatically Update the Definition of Existing Digital States

If an existing digital state is edited, PI Analysis Service does not recognize the change until it is restarted. A digital state should not be edited too often. However, it would be useful if there is a process to update cache, including each digital state, which PI Analysis Service uses.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Notifications format editor "Create a Link" tool should allow the base address to be substituted from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute

As a Notifications user, I would like to be able to use certain features of the "Create a Link" tool for editing Notifications Formats, like the ability to display alternate text and add url parameters, when the url is held in an attribute that is a URI Builder Data Reference.

Currently, you must explicitly specify the base address in the Notification Format for the template (the base address does not accept substitution from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute). This is a problem when each element based off the template should have a different URL.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatic Recalculation of Event Frame in PI Analysis

As a user, I would like to have the option to automatic recalculation of event frame for out-of-order input events in AF analysis. The option is available for expression analysis in PI Analysis  2017 R2 but not for event frame generation analysis.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Undelete PI tags

Recovering a PI tag that was deleted accidently is extremly annoying.
    Why do I have to create a new tag and reprocess all historical archives to convert the old tag to the new tag in the archives? (https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/2651OSI8/)

It should be quite easy to just recreate the original tag if you have the pointid and recno. Maybe when deleting a tag you should only mark the tag as deleted instead of removing it from the pi point table.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide AF Analysis Function for Element Unit

There is a function in AF named TagEU(). This function returns the EU of the PI Tag, NOT the EU of the element. This presents problems in analysis if the Units in PI are not spelled the same as they are in AF or if the unit in AF different than the PI Tag.

Please add a function ElementEU() which returns the EU of the element. It should use the same EU from the element that Convert() uses.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. pipoint security af

In SMT there is the PIPOINT security table. When any new points get created it uses the PIPOINT table for the default security configuration. I would like to have a separate table for any points created from AF, so that they inherit a different set of defaults than the pipoint table

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Request that the install kit inform the user of pending installs and unintalls

Today a coworker requested that I install the web api and web crawler on an application server that already was running analysis and notifications.  I ran the AF install kit, selected api and crawler because I just wanted to add those and the software performed the install but also uninstalled analysis and notifications without warning.  It was probably a bad assumption on my part that it would only install what I asked it to and do nothing else.

Please pass this along to tech support and/or developers.  Request that the install kit inform the user of pending installs and unintalls.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Max Rollup to provide AF Element-attribute

Using the Max Rollup function - I would like to know which element provided the maximum value and output this as well so I can historize the information.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support User Information in Connection History Tool

(pidiag -connectionhistory)

Support the collection and retrieval of PI / Windows user information by the connection history database.  

Currently, the connection history database only stores IP addresses which can be misleading when multiple multiple users work from the same computer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. AF Transformer sync functionailty

1. AF Transformer should be able to sync changes made in the source AF Database: if an element is added, deleted or edited.  For the deletions there should be a way to select the behavior: delete an object from the target database, place it under a different hierarchy, rename or do nothing. 
    2. It would be also helpful to have an additional AF property in AF - deletion flag. A power user will be reviewing a list of elements flagged for deletion and will be making a decision - delete, rename, move or do nothing (similar to functionality in the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  AF Transformer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Basic GIS Support: in AF and Analytics

Considering that AF has latitude and longitude traits for elements and already supports files as attributes, would it be possible to provide basic GIS support?

The file attribute could be used to store a shapefile, geoJson or GeoPackage, while the location trait could be used as input to some simple geospatial analysis, like:

- Does a polygon contain a given coordinate?
    - What's the distance from one coordinate to another?
    - What's the minimum distance from one coordinate to a polygon?

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Thresholds for PI Points

It would be nice to have threshold attributes for pi points. Then we could configure that values received from the source outside this limits would be ignored (not stored), substituted by the respective threshold value or even by an "Over\Under Range" state. This discussion is pretty old in the community, and I find it quite odd this configuration was never considered (of course there could be specific reasons I am not aware of).

The need for filtering negative values of a flow tag, for example, when summarizing data is very common.

See this discussion below for better understanding:

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/31212-datalink-calculated-filtered-data-odd-behavior

Users…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base