PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Quality: Assess Data Integrity

Have a way to assess the data integrity so end users can trust the data and issues can be fixed quickly.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Association of Multiple Tags That Represent Same Measurement

As a PI admin, I would like to associate mutiple tags together that represent the same measurement at different time periods SO THAT users see one set of data together instead of the old data in the old tag and the new data in the new tag after DCS/PLC upgrades and platform changes are made that drive new tag naming conventions.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide mechanism to assist in Kerberos configuration / delegation testing

As a PI Admin, I need assistance configuring and testing Kerberos delegation, so that I can access the full functionality of the products without exposing my system.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Buffer subsystem to handle deleted values

Can buffer subsystem be enhanced to manage value deletions from tags? We have a collective and utilize buffering to send data to both collective members however we have to jump through hoops to delete data from both collective members. It would be nice if the buffer subsystem could handle value deletions just like how it handles all other value adds and replacements.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PI Archive File header should keep track of last modified recno

The PI Archive File should keep track of the last modified RecNo. This would make cases where historical archive last modified times are updated (and potentially causing large backups) much easier to track down.

In particular, this feature combined with the new Snapshot_TracePointID tuning parameter in PI Data Archive 2017+ would make figuring out what is updating archive last modified times much more straightforward.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. New attribute for a PI point type ID

To take full advantage of AF and substitution parameters it would be great to have a sort of type ID. Now i have to rename all tags to gain this possibility. It would be easy if i could use a portion of the tag name and a  type id. Then i could deploy AF templates with substitution parameters really fast.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Repeatedly loop future data

Customer would like to be able to loop future data.  For instance since yearly temperatures are about the same every year for a given month, it would be nice if only one set of the projections are stored somewhere and just repeated again and again every year.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Reduce archive file size by eliminating unused record numbers

Background:
    On a Data Archive where many points have been deleted, there will be many unused record numbers. Since the size of an archive file is tied to the highest existing record number (for performance reasons), this can result in archive files that are much larger than necessary.

Request:
    A method to eliminate unused record numbers, likely by modifying record numbers. As an example, three points with record numbers 1, 3, and 10 would turn into record numbers 1, 2, and 3.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow bi-temporal data archiving

PI DA Server should allow for more flexibility in terms of the format of archived data. A big advantage would be if PI could archive two timestamps per event. One timestamp will come from whatever the data source is (PI Interfaces, fiels devices, etc) - this is effectively what PI has now. In addition to that, PI Should be able to add a second timestamp recording when the event got into PI i.e. when either PI Snapshot or Archive Subsystem saw the event coming in their respective queue. Benefits and use cases:
    - any PI Client could make sure it…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Being able to activate the Log of abnormally long request made to the PI Data Archive

It would be helpful to determine which users or applications made heavy requests to the Data Archive Server.
    This could be an option to be activated or not.
    Logging the ip, user identity, concerned tags, duration of the request
    Those information are actually available in PI SMT but there is no way of storing and analyzing them.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Backup pre-commited

As a Pi Admin, it would be usefull to be able to locate the Precommit directory used during the PI backup process to a different location from the Backup directory

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Powershell PIArchive.Reprocess

A powershell method for reprocessing PI Archve Files.

$myPIArchive = Get-PIArchiveFileInfo -Connection $myPi -Name "someArchiveFile"

$myPIArchive.ReprocessArchive -NewFileName $false|"filename" -Type Dynamic|Fixed -OtherCoolOptions

Reading data from a reprocessed archive is significantly faster, so I am adding this as a maintenance-task currently using
    cmd /c "%PISERVER%\bin\piarcss.exe -if old -of new"
    (For some reason start-process didn't work for me)

I would also love a $myPIArchive.LastReprocessedTime for housekeeping. I am currently storing that in a separate hashtable.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Compression Standards

The ability to define and rollout compression standards on tags across the enterprise / sites. 

When this information is captured bottom up from sites, bad settings make it difficult to maintain a standard which inhibits cross site data comparisons.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make a point class similar to "base", but without zero, span, or typical value

Most of the time, zero, span, and typical value are unused, cause confusion, and/or lead to easy but costly mistakes.

Typical value is probably the most useless PI Point attribute. It doesn't affect the PI system. It is just there for the user's reference. Why not a range of typical values? Why not calculate it dynamically based on actual data? Typical value is superseded by limit traits in PI Asset Framework, so there is no need to force a typical value on every PI Point.

Zero is mostly used for Float16 PI Points, which is probably rarely used these days.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PI SMT: some plugins missing features for future data

Certain plugins in PI SMT do not have features to support future data
    1. Snapshot and Archive Statistics (is available only through piartool)
    2. Current Data does not subscribe to timeseries in Update Manager
    3. Stale and Bad tags

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Automated re-compression/average after a period of time

As a PI Administrator, currently there is no way to compress or average (then delete) your data automatically after an event reaches a certain age. It would be nice to have the ability to automatically compress or average specific tags after the events have existed for a certain period of times. For instance, I keep data for “Tag1” in 5 second intervals for 2 months. After 2 months, I average those events over 5 minute intervals and delete the 5-second interval data thereafter.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts should have pilogsrvX64

pisrvstart.bat and pisrvstop.bat scripts should have "pilogsrvX64" added to them.  Currently all services except the "PIPC Log Server x64" are started/stopped by these scripts.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Interpolation options for step tags

When the step attribute of a PI tag is "on", allow the user to specify an interpolation method.

The current method assumes that a value is constant until the next event, which works well in most cases.

For tags that track rolling averages, rolling totals, real-time derivatives of totalizer tags with respect to time, etc., it would be more useful to assume that a value is constant up to the previous event.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Prevent PI-TAGs to be overwritten with new data for certain time range

Normally our TAGs are filled with data coming from an analysis (or PI-Equation) by snapshot-data or recalculated data. But sometimes we have to do manual corrections due to data loss and have to write data to this PI-TAGs manually. And we are not allowed to change these corrections afterwards (e.g. when our obligatory technical account is already done).

In this cases it would be great if I were able to configure (in AF) time ranges for PI-TAGs in which all archive data for these TAGs is locked and cannot be overwritten by other data (independent from where it comes from).

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Convert incoming string data to float and provide division all in the same tag instead of a PE

OPC server is outputting data with the currency data type (VT_CY) and it needs to be stored in the float type.  As per the OPCtoCSV document, the OPCtoCSV tool/OPC interface invokes VariantChangeType in order to convert this currency value to it's string representation before PI receives it.

"Some OPC servers have property values that are type VT_CY. The VT_CY type is intended to represent monetary values. A VT_CY value is a fixed-point number with four digits after an implied decimal point that is scaled and stored as a 64-bit integer. When VariantChangeType converts a VT_CY value to string, the string…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED