PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Archive Reprocessing Backup

The current automated Archive reprocessing creates a backup of the original archive in the archive directory. This can lead to a situation where the archive drive runs out of space.

It would be useful to be able to configure the backup location for the reprocessed archives. This should be a tuning parameter.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Confirmed Write methods

All methods exposed through AF SDK and other Developer Technologies are "fire and forget". Please add methods, at least for time series data, which return when the data has been processed.

A write operation that returns when data has been processed allows to postpone dependent operations until the acknowledgement is received. A client application using a Confirmed Write needs to handle failures and a Confirmed Write requires an active communication channel. For this reason the implementation should be un-buffered.

Offer Confirmed Write methods through AF SDK and later with other dependent Developer Technologies.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. PI Data Archive: Improve piarchss performance

PI Archive Subsystem should be able to use operating memory more efficiently. For example by loading as many non-primary archives into its process memory as possible (perhaps it could be affected by a user setting).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you please provide more details and examples of what you want to do? The Archive Subsystem already manages the files in memory, and in the file system cache. So, what are your specific situations where you see inefficient memory usage today?

5. Make a GUI for PI Backups for easy management

It would be interesting to have a GUI, maybe inside PI SMT, that would allow users to configure their PIBackups directly without having to mess around in 2-3 batch files.

Checkboxes for the most common options, Active/inactive box etc. You could determine the paths, full backup or incrementa optionsl. SiteBackup active or not. As an extra maybe we could also have the scheduling included in the tool.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Association of Multiple Tags That Represent Same Measurement

As a PI admin, I would like to associate mutiple tags together that represent the same measurement at different time periods SO THAT users see one set of data together instead of the old data in the old tag and the new data in the new tag after DCS/PLC upgrades and platform changes are made that drive new tag naming conventions.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Reprocess fixed archives to dynamic or visa versa

Currently, PI SMT will only allow archives to be reprocessed according to it's original type. User would like to be able to choose whether to reprocess the archives from fixed to dynamic or vice versa.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support storing data quality

As a user I want to be able to collect, store and analyze quality information associated with real-time events and assets. This feature will allow the user to determine the trustworthiness of the data when decisions are made.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 161240.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support different data retention policies

As an administrator, I need to ability to configure the life span of my PI data, so that data are kept or deleted accordingly. For example, data that should be deleted based on corporate mandates and data that should be kept forever are handled accordingly.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 25774OSI8.

59 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ensure data is identical between collective members

As a PI Administrator, I need to trust that the data is identical between my collective members. Currently, there is no way for me to be sure it is the same unless I do a side by side comparison. Data can be missing, or slightly off, and I have no easy way to understand this right now.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide mechanism to assist in Kerberos configuration / delegation testing

As a PI Admin, I need assistance configuring and testing Kerberos delegation, so that I can access the full functionality of the products without exposing my system.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide more user-friendly way to configure backups

As a PI admin, I wish there was a GUI way to set up backup tasks instead of needing to go to the command line to set up my backup task.
    (FS, 415 hrs)

As a PI admin, I have a hard time setting up backup scripts to write to an external data source.
    (FS, 415 hrs)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide more granular configuration for default ACLs

As a PI Administrator of a PI System with complex security requirements, I need to set up different default permissions for various users so they can create tags that automatically have the proper security instead of having to rely on a process/procedure to correct security after the tags are built.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Data Quality: Assess Data Integrity

Have a way to assess the data integrity so end users can trust the data and issues can be fixed quickly.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED