PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to search for PI Points used by PI AF attributes

As a user, I want to be able to search for specific PI Points used by PI AF attributes, so that I can easily find where the PI Points are being used.

85 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  10 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow substitution parameters to be used in the SELECT and FROM clauses of the TableLookup Data Reference

As a user, I would like TableLookup Data Reference to be able to use substitution parameters to specify the column name(s) and table name for the SELECT and FROM fields respectively. This would allow for the use of attribute values like those from String Builder attributes to be used to identify the desired column(s) or table and facilitate the use of table lookup within Element Templates.

64 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add more advanced string handling functions to the String Builder data reference

I would like to use some more advanced string functions such as Split, Len (string length), and even regex filtering to allow more fine grained control of how some input strings (such as attribute values or substitution parameters) are manipulated to create a new string output.

60 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  21 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow substitution parameters in attribute template description

As a user, I want to be able to use substitution parameters in attribute template descriptions, so that when elements are created from template, the attribute template description can be substituted with pertinent information.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 116200.

46 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Looking for a feature  which makes merging multiple databases seamless with a version control system like Git

Looking for a tool that would compare two databases (that originated from the same parent) then gives user option to keep or discard changes from each and eventually merge them to form a working production database.

39 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PI System Explorer (PSE PI AF) Web

Please consider creating a web application like PI Vision Admin, PI Web API Search, PI Manual Logger for Web, and the various integrators, but for PI System Explorer (PSE, PI AF). I would prefer this to the client-server design now. It would make version management, software dependency management, upgrading, firewall/network-services management, etc. easier. This would obviate the need to re-package the OSIsoft installers in whatever software package management software an organization uses. Another solution would be to use the Windows 10 application store. However, that wouldn't mesh well with using Cloud IaaS services. OSIsoft could even offer this new PSE…

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to link UOM field in AF to attribute value within PSE

We use a custom data reference to store UOM information in an AF Attribute, which is then stored in PI using Tag Creation and substitution parameter. Currently there is no way to automate the UOM written in an AF attribute to the UOM field of the "target" attribute.

A possible way of doing this, from a user perspective, would be to allow substitution parameters to be used in UOM definition.

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Attribute UOM Substitution Parameter

If you have a PI Point attribute with auto tag creation and you want the attribute UOM and PI Point engunits to match, you have to define it twice; once in the attribute UOM field and a second in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=m3. If there was a substitution parameter for the attribute's UOM, you could use it in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=%AttributeUOM%.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Composite element templates

As an user I want to be able to create a template hierarchy (parent-child) all at once, so that I can easily create a hierarchy representing related assets. For example, create a motor, gearbox, compressor train with a single template that actually consists of (in this case) 3 templates.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for localized element and attribute names

As an user, I want to be able to have a localized element and attribute name in addition to the base language, so that my users do not have to learn a different language.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Be able to sort Elements and be displayed in ways other than alphabetically.

We have seen several instances where we would like to have the order of element displayed in AF/Vision be sorted by process order, not alphabetically.  Suggest adding a "sort" field and an option to have element arranged by that rather than alphabetically.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Highlight attributes not matching template

PI System Explorer should visually highlight attributes of template based elements that have changes to the template.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. AF Elements reference across AF Databases

Customer would like to be able to use AF Data References to reference AF Elements that reside in different AF Databases. This would allow him to not have to replicate elements and attributes across multiple databases.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Attribute Synonyms

As a AF Administrator, I would like to be able to define a list of synonym names for attributes associated with an element template SO THAT different sites leveraging the template can have their attributes shown based on their "local" terminology.

For example, one site might call an attribute 'Speed' and another site might call it "RPM".

It's a challenge to get sites to agree on what to call things in a standard template which can result in little progress of building out AF.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Filter Expressions for PI Point Data Refences

Allow the use of filter expressions, similarly PI DataLink Compressed Data, so that you can visualize or perform calculations on filtered data (e.g., excluding bad values, certain digital states, etc.).

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improvement of AF Identities/Mappings - Make it similar to PI Data Archive

When adding a Mapping to an Identity in the AF Server this will always generate a new mapping linked to a user/group account.

If this user/group account it's already mapped to an identity then, by default, it will add 1 to the mapping name.

If I have a user called PISCHOOL\u602 and I add it to an identity Engineers it will generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U602. If I add this same user to another identity like Support then it will by default generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U603.

This can be misleading since the PISCHOOL\U603 user might already exist and we…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use %Duration% with Formula Data Reference as Best Practice for EF Duration Attribute (AF 2017 R2+)

This is a followup to discussions with Roger Palmen and Rick Davin about their excellent writeups on the topic of EF Duration attributes; see Event Frame duration - easy way in AF2.6 or higher & Duration attribute on an Event Frame - Part 1 , respectively.
    With the addition of the %Duration% substitution parameter and it's support in the Formula Data Reference, the following is suggested as a standard way to add a Duration attribute with values in a Time class UOM for newer versions of AF.
    Create an EF attribute template with the following configuration:

Note 1: no parameters…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve search Capabilities of Management Tab

A few minor improvements to the search and filtering capabilities of the management tab could save time when doing backfills at scale - for example after transferring several elements from a development server.  If possible the following search capabilities could be very useful:
    -Improve search by template: Currently when searching by template every analysis will be listed and in alphabetical order by analysis - not template name which makes it difficult to search. It could be helpful if it were possible to choose one template and every analysis associated with that template would be included.  At the very least, adjust…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. As an avid user/admin of AF, in PSE I would like an option to display large attribute values with commas (Internal WI 36575)

Currently, in PSE there is no way to display attribute values greater than or equal to 1000 with commas for the thousands separators. Ex: 1,234,456 instead of 123456. This option exists in other PI Clients (i.e. PI Vision) and should be available in all PI Clients.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED