PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for bugs, please report to OSIsoft Tech Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show attributes from base template on a derived template

When creating or editing  a new derived template or developing new analyses, I would like to have the option to show attributes from the base template.

I should also have the ability to change the default value of these attributes.

The attribute configuration could be greyed out to separate them from the attributes defined on the derived template.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add more advanced string handling functions to the String Builder data reference

I would like to use some more advanced string functions such as Split, Len (string length), and even regex filtering to allow more fine grained control of how some input strings (such as attribute values or substitution parameters) are manipulated to create a new string output.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

UNDER REVIEW / RESEARCHING  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Step Attribute in the AF Server for PI Point data reference

As an AF administrator I want to be able to specify that an attribute with a PI Point data reference should be displayed as a STEP function to clients without having to enable the STEP attribute in the underlying PI Point configuration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow element references to have a different name

Allow element references to have a different name be defined. This will make it easier to build alternate hierarchies in AF. A new string substitution parameter (perhaps %ReferenceElement%) would also need to be created to distinguish from %Element%.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multi tree-type hierarchy feature in AF

It would be great in AF to have multi tree-type hierarchy feature to be able to copy by reference a parent element (without its child elements attached to it).
    See the attachment

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support "abstract" templates in AF

There is a need to create "abstract" element templates in AF, and this has been requested several times.

2012: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/4172
    2014: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/27621#comment-27621
    2017: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/32721-possible-to-define-a-virtual-element-template

An abstract class/template is one that you must create a derived version of yourself, you cannot use it directly. It's a base template, but you want to prevent users from instantiating it directly.

You might implement the general attributes for pumps as an abstract template, but you require users to create a derived template for each pump type they have, and then instantiate an element from that.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support string values in formula data references

Formula data references do not support string value type attributes (e.g. if stringattribute="Yes" then "X" else "Y"). One workaround is to create an analysis on the element template with the same logic mapped to an attribute on the element template. In certain cases, however, an analysis will not work.

For example, for an event frame with manually-entered string data individual to each event frame that then determines the value of another event frame attribute based on IF/THEN logic), we need this value to be calculated per event frame and not on the element.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove timestamp from tooltip display for static or table lookup attributes in PSE

When hovering over an attribute in PI System Explorer for PI AF, the tooltip indicates a timestamp of 1/1/1970 12:00:00 AM. For static or table lookup attributes that have a Value Type of DateTime, this is confusing and misleading since two timestamps are displayed. The tooltip that appears when hovering should be modified so that the timestamp does not appear for DateTime attributes, and instead only the name and value are shown.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. AF XML Export and Import Should Be Version Aware

XML export and import should get the possibility to export and import all or any versions of an element, not only the actual one.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PI System Explorer should not jump between attributes when a field is selected for editing

In PI System Explorer, if you double click on an attributes Name (or Value fields when the value type is string), it highlights the contained text to show it is being edited. If you start typing, it will replace the existing text, and the Home and End keys work as expected (jump to beginning/end of field). However, if you double click the field and press Home or End without typing, it instead jumps to the beginning/end of the attribute list. I would expect that, if a field is being edited, the Home and End keys work as usual. Due to…

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Highlight attributes not matching template

PI System Explorer should visually highlight attributes of template based elements that have changes to the template.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. UOM class properties dimension table

If you double-click on a UOM class, you will see something like the attached picture. I feel that the "Base Units of Measure" list box should be a table with 2 columns: Base Dimension and Exponent. This would eliminate the ugly ^ and align the exponents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add "information" as a UOM class

An information UOM class is a natural fit for data that comes from the PI Interface for Performance Monitor and the PI Connector for PI System Health.

Units that should be included by default are bit, byte, kilobit, kilobyte, kibibit, kibibyte, ... up to tera-.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Saving the "Analysis Service Statistics" should be saved in XML instead of TXT since this is the actual format of the file

It is possible to change the format after it is saved, but it should natively  be saved as an XML.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Group By Template AND Category

I would like to be able to check both Group by Template AND Category In the attributes (template) editor.

This would be especially useful when using derived templates. Then I would like to group by template and to group by category within that template groups.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Which tags are being used by a PI Analysis

As a PI Administrator, I want to know which tags are being used at which PI Analysis so I can know exactly if there is already another Analysis writing to a tag and avoid duplicated or wrong data.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Substitution parameter from root

As an AF administrator, I want to configure templates with Point Creation using Substitution Parameters that can retrieve names and values from an element relative to the root element and working it's way down to the element wanted. A way for this to work, would be for the search mechanism to store the full path of the element and then work it's way down starting at the root.

Currently substitution parameters can be used to retrieve information from elements relative to the element in which the substitution parameter is configured.

Use case: I would use this template for elements that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Harmonize Attribute Editor and Attribute Template Editor

Currently Attribute Template Editor and Attribute Editor behave different regarding visualisation of templates when using derived templates.

Attribute Template Editor shows the attributes of the base template only if Group By Template is checked.

Attribute Editor always shows all attributes independent on which template the attributes belong and independent of the group-by-state. When you check Group By Template the templates get visible.

I think it would be a great to see all attributes also in the Attributes Template Editor, independend of the group by state. Maybe all attributes of the base template should be grayed out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base