PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to search for PI Points used by PI AF attributes

As a user, I want to be able to search for specific PI Points used by PI AF attributes, so that I can easily find where the PI Points are being used.

201 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

EVALUATING  ·  16 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow substitution parameters to be used in the SELECT and FROM clauses of the TableLookup Data Reference

As a user, I would like TableLookup Data Reference to be able to use substitution parameters to specify the column name(s) and table name for the SELECT and FROM fields respectively. This would allow for the use of attribute values like those from String Builder attributes to be used to identify the desired column(s) or table and facilitate the use of table lookup within Element Templates.

149 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add more advanced string handling functions to the String Builder data reference

I would like to use some more advanced string functions such as Split, Len (string length), and even regex filtering to allow more fine grained control of how some input strings (such as attribute values or substitution parameters) are manipulated to create a new string output.

136 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Attribute UOM Substitution Parameter

If you have a PI Point attribute with auto tag creation and you want the attribute UOM and PI Point engunits to match, you have to define it twice; once in the attribute UOM field and a second in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=m3. If there was a substitution parameter for the attribute's UOM, you could use it in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=%AttributeUOM%.

98 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Easily deploying and maintaining AF objects in multiple remote AF databases

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/5538-easily-deploying-and-maintaining-af-objects-in-multiple-remote-af-databases

Today, one of the method that can be used to selectively reconcile object changes (including templates, analyses, UOM, etc.) between source and destination servers is using Excel (in order to keep track of object changes and/or object deletions). However, it is very time-consuming and prone to errors.

Inspired in the current project I am working on (containing a central AF server and remote AF servers), it would be great to have a tool that allowed us to deploy and maintain all types of AF objects in a selective way in multiple remote…

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Highlight attributes not matching template

PI System Explorer should visually highlight attributes of template based elements that have changes to the template.

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow substitution parameters in attribute template description

As a user, I want to be able to use substitution parameters in attribute template descriptions, so that when elements are created from template, the attribute template description can be substituted with pertinent information.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 116200.

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Composite element templates

As an user I want to be able to create a template hierarchy (parent-child) all at once, so that I can easily create a hierarchy representing related assets. For example, create a motor, gearbox, compressor train with a single template that actually consists of (in this case) 3 templates.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve search Capabilities of Management Tab

A few minor improvements to the search and filtering capabilities of the management tab could save time when doing backfills at scale - for example after transferring several elements from a development server.  If possible the following search capabilities could be very useful:
    -Improve search by template: Currently when searching by template every analysis will be listed and in alphabetical order by analysis - not template name which makes it difficult to search. It could be helpful if it were possible to choose one template and every analysis associated with that template would be included.  At the very least, adjust…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Exclude analysis output attributes when the analysis is suspended

When the PI Analysis service determines an Analysis should be Suspended, it should also set any output Attributes to be Excluded. As the Analysis is Suspended, it will not output any results and if it has always been Suspended, the output Tags will never get created. Excluding the output Attributes will keep the Element looking clean and also allow dependent Analyses to go into a Suspended state instead of throwing an error when they can't find the Tags. Similarly it will prevent other applications (OSIsoft and third parties) from querying the Attributes and also throwing errors, causing performance issues.

Automatically…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to change the timezone used in PI System Explorer with a feature similar to what is found in PI DataLink or PI SMT 2017.

As an end user, I would like to be able to change the timezone referenced in PI System Exporer from client timezone to server timezone. Something similar to the "PI Data Archive Time Zone"  setting found in PI DataLink would be helpful.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to use substitution parameters in attribute template names

Would like ability to use substitution parameters in attribute template names.  Using PI-SNMP for Linux file partition data. We need to know the storage index# in AF since they vary server to server.  Want to provide users doing searches the actual partition name and the data for them, instead of using Storage Index name attribute (tag value) to determine which is which.

see https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/77201-substitution-parameter-in-attribute-name-of-template?q=substitution parameters in attribute

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add additional Analysis Search Criteria options to PSE Management

It would be helpful if you could search by Element Category or Element Description when searching for Analyses in PSE. My setup is 5 templates (CHW, Water, HW, Electric, Steam), each of which have accounts that can come from 5 different sources (selectable by element category). I can't filter by both commodity type AND source, I can only do Commodity type using the "Template" criteria option, as the "Category" and "Description" search criteria options relate to Analyses, not to elements. This severely limits the functionality of the search feature for me.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remove Templates for Elements in PI System Explorer

Currently, when you remove a template from an Element in PI System Explorer, you'll remove all existing attributes from the Element.

There should be a functionality in PI System Explorer to remove the template without making changes to the attributes for the element.

Currently, the only workaround is to use PI Builder to remove the template without removing the Attributes associated with said Element.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AF Audit Trail for deleted items should retain friendly database name

Would like AF audit trail to retain friendly database name for deleted items.  Currently it removes the friendly database name making it very difficult to track changes made to a specific database once an item is deleted.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PI AF Template Versioning

Allow for PI AF templates to be version controlled. Include the ability to revert to previous template version, or continue to use old versions for specific elements. This will reduce the risk of deployment and improve change/release management process.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PI System Explorer shows the creation date and last changed date of AF objects by default

As a PI System Explorer user I want to be able to see when was the creation date and last changed date of an AF object without enabling the Audit Trail, similar to the PI SMT feature which is easily accessible and works by default.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Export/Import Contact Groups and/or Delivery Endpoints to XML from PI System Explorer

Please allow one to export, and import, to XML from PI System Explorer Contact Groups and/or Contact Delivery Endpoints.  Doing this with AFExport.exe and AFImport.exe on the AF Server is cumbersome and restrictive.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED