PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enumeration Sets and Asset Analytics Intellisense

It would be nice if Intellisense would automatically fill enumeration sets as it does for attributes. It would make the setting of analyses and event frames easier when we are working with long strings.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filtered calculation in PI ProcessBook

In PI Calcs inside PI ProcessBook or even PI AF, the could be a way of filtering calculations, such as the following

1. Tag VALUE stores a process value
    2. Tag STATUS stores the asset status

We want to determine how long VALUE was higher than a threshold, filtering it by the condition 'STATUS'="running"

Currently, we need to use at least one additional PI Point per conter, but it would be nice if we did not need any and could do it directly from PI PB.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to generate Event Frame on invalid data reference

I would like to build an analysis that generates an event frame when one of the referenced PI points is unavailable - i.e. the point does not exist, permissions are missing, or the Data Archive server is unavailable.

Currently when these conditions occur, the analysis will go into an error condition, but there is no way I can be notified of the situation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would like the ability to move searches defined on the PSE management tag from computer to computer

I have created numerous searches on the management tab of the PSE, but if changing computers or even sharing the searches between workers you currently have to recreate the searches on each computer. Not sure where these are stored currently, but a way to import/export the searches would be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Out of the Box Event Weighed Analytics

It would be useful to have event-weighed totalizers as out of the box formulas in Analytics for common calculations such as Week-To-day, Month-to-day.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \\Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Expose triggering input to Analytics

If an analysis with multiple trigger attributes is triggerred, it is difficult to assess which attribute produced the trigger. Hasvaluechanged has it's limitations, and comparing PrevEvent is also cumbersome.

Instead of only receiving a timestamp for the Analysis to evaluate, i would like to receive both the Attribute name/path and value that triggered this event.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Quick watch" function for analyses

While creating and/or debugging analyses in PI System Explorer, I would like to have available an instant evaluation dialog.

This would be something I can bring up empty, and start typing (if in template, use the context of the currently selected Example Element) to evaluate a formula.

If I right click a formula or expression already placed in a variable I would like to see "Evaluate in Instant Window" or "Evaluate instantly", where the dialog is brought up with that text pre-defined. If the expression you right clicked contains time expressions (such as start time, end time) I would like…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add thermodynamic properties air tables to Functions list in AF Analytics

In addition to steam tables, it would be nice to see air tables, particularly for analytics on combined cycle and simple cycle units.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. enhance rollup analysis to perform more complex calculations.

I would like to enhance rollups analysis so I can perform more complex calculations. Ideally I would like to be able to build my own functions for example sum of squares...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Analysis managament filters for all users and able to export between diferent AFs

It was so useful for us if we can use filters on Analisis management for all users. We are a 5 people support team, we have the same AF structure in different servers and we must do the same filters user by user, AF by AF.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add External Support for AspenTech Functions in Analysis within AF

Add support to import AspenTech functions into Asset Framework to use with Analysis.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Increase the discoverability of the windows that are accessible by right-clicking on the Operations pane

In PI System Explorer → Management, with the Analysis radio button selected, right-clicking in the Operations pane gives the user access to additional windows. Even though this is documented, it is not very discoverable. Users do not expect right-clicking on a dialog-box-like pane to do anything. The windows also serve minor, but still useful, purposes, so the user is unlikely to search the documentation wondering where to find the functionality that these windows offer.

Please consider eliminating the right-click menu and allowing the windows to be accessed by links, buttons, or icons.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Confirmation Yes/No Dialogue Box When Deleting an Expression within an Analysis

Please add a Confirmation Dialogue Box e.g. Yes/No when deleting an expression from within an analysis.
    It is too easy to hit the X and delete an expression accidently.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Trigger analysis on events since time creation of new version AF element.

Situation: Attribute of an AF element is one of the triggers for Event Frame analysis for sending critial Notifications.
    Currently: After creating a new version of an AF Element and setting a new value for the attribute the changed value will possibly not trigger the (Event Frame) analysis (if start trigger is true). This results in missing critical Notifications.
    Reason is that the analysis is restarted after a new version is created and the value may be changed before the analysis is operational again. The analysis doesn't see the changed value as an event than.
    Periodic triggering may not be…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Reason Code value to AF element attribute or PI Tag

As a PI system user, I need the ability to use reason codes to develop reports and dashboards. The current functionality of PI Vision symbols and analytics do not really enable the use of the current data type of EF attribute.

The ability to map a reason code to an AF attribute either via analytics of via the reason code configuration window would allow this data to be used for much more than currently available.

The use case from a customer workshop last week that I'm thinking of is OEE - not all equipment has the necessary information to properly…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatic recalculation on template based analysis without automatic recalculation

It should be possible to check "Recalculate analysis for out-of-order input events" if the analysis is based on a template and the re-calculation is not checked in the template.

A change of the output time stamps is already possible.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED