PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enumeration Sets and Asset Analytics Intellisense

It would be nice if Intellisense would automatically fill enumeration sets as it does for attributes. It would make the setting of analyses and event frames easier when we are working with long strings.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to generate Event Frame on invalid data reference

I would like to build an analysis that generates an event frame when one of the referenced PI points is unavailable - i.e. the point does not exist, permissions are missing, or the Data Archive server is unavailable.

Currently when these conditions occur, the analysis will go into an error condition, but there is no way I can be notified of the situation.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New Date and Time Functions

I like the new feature of providing an output timestamp via analysis.
    To use this even more I would like to see more date and time functions:
    - AddMonths(), AddDays(), AddHours(), ... for adding or subtracting time ranges.
    - DateSerial(yy, mm, dd [, hh, mi, ss]) for creating a new date time
    - PIString() function that outputs a date time as a string using the PI time format
    - String() function with custom formats
    - Useful could also be WeekDayName() and MonthName() (both in English and in local time format)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow more pens in analysis preview results window

The bottom trend of the Analysis Preview Results window shows 8 pens. More pens would be better or at least allow me to choose which 8 inputs/outputs I’d like to view.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Do not add additional analysis variable when last line is a comment

When the last line of an expression is a comment (i.e. //My Comment Here), an additional variable is added to the expression.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Easy simplification for working with AF analysis

Working with AF Analysis the following usability enhancements are requested.

1.  Clicking on an analysis variable to edit it would automatically put your cursor at the beginning of the variable string.  Current behavior is: you click on the analysis which then expands into a kind of drop down which you then have to click on to begin your work.

2.  Creating a new analysis or analysis variable would position the cursor in the Name area as a starting point.  Don't know about everyone else, but I like to name my stuff as I'm working.  Current behavior is: clicking to create…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Analysis Console Programming

A slightly bigger console window while typing analysis would be fine. At least the functionality of failurewith pointing on the used "line/function/variable" would be also great.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Trigger Time

Need a way to utilize the trigger time in analysis functions.

'*' refers to now or snapshot values

Using timestamp('triggered attribute','*') only works if there is only one triggered attribute configured.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Analysis - Edit periodic scheduling in bulk

Would be good to have one screen to manage the periodic scheduling for  all analyses in a given AF database.  This way, you can standardize where it makes sense to, and look for outliers (analyses that may have been scheduled incorrectly).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to filter analysis by backfilling status

It's sometimes very important to wait the end of a backfilling operation before ask for another backfilling operation.
    That's why, it should be convenient to filter the analysis list to point out the analysis still in progress.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. enhance rollup analysis to perform more complex calculations.

I would like to enhance rollups analysis so I can perform more complex calculations. Ideally I would like to be able to build my own functions for example sum of squares...

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A pop-out/undocked editor for PI Analysis Expressions

Editing expressions that have multiple rows of statements can be difficult in PI System Explorer due to small editor window. It would be useful to be able to pop-out/undock the editor window so it can be maximized/re-sized/etc.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow a select feature on rollup using the mouse.

Currently you have to type the attribute you wish to rollup by hand. Some of our customers have expressed interest in being able to select one attribute with the mouse rather than typing anything. Wildcard characters do work but some customers who use templates often have large similarities between attribute names.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

For functions with arguments that have named values, provide enumerated choices (not AF enumeration but analysis native)

For instance, the LinRegr function returns an array of results (slope, intercept..).   Rather than specifying the number for the dimension of the array, here is example analysis code:

Name                            Expression
    RegressionData1  |       LinRegr(‘Xvalues’,’Yvalues’,2, ‘t’,’*’)
    Slope                     |       RegressionData1[LinRegr.Slope]
    Intercept                |        RegressionData1[LinRegr.Intercept]

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add functions to perform table queries on AF tables

To access data on AF Tables i now need to add these to an attribute and then access these from analytics

I would like to be able to create a lookup using a Analytics function, so that i can create a lookup of a value in a table based on other calculations i do within my analysis.

This can be limited to the current functionaltiy in the Table Lookup DataReference.
    E.g. to perform forecasts, i currently create attributes where i sum values based on timestamps for x-days forward in time using analytics. Then i use these attributes again in another…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reason Code value to AF element attribute or PI Tag

As a PI system user, I need the ability to use reason codes to develop reports and dashboards. The current functionality of PI Vision symbols and analytics do not really enable the use of the current data type of EF attribute.

The ability to map a reason code to an AF attribute either via analytics of via the reason code configuration window would allow this data to be used for much more than currently available.

The use case from a customer workshop last week that I'm thinking of is OEE - not all equipment has the necessary information to properly…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Display the data type of functions

The Functions pane in PI System Explorer shows the data type of the function arguments but not the data type of the function's return value. The data type of the return value lets the user know how and where the function can and cannot be used.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Additional parameters for analysis function "EventFrame"

Currently the analysis function "EventFrame" supports parameters "StartTime", "EndTime" and "Duration".

I would like to see additional parameters "StartTriggerName" and maybe also "StartTriggerExpression".

That could be useful for creating different "Outputs at close" for different start triggers.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Handling of data flood scenarios (like alarms)

When a flood of data comes into a tag like in an alarm situation, sometimes the EF analytics don't trigger as some of the data comes in at the same second.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED