PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Analysis Data Reference Step Functionality

Use case: User wants to trend Analysis Data Reference in client tools (Processbook, Coresight). User doesn’t want to create a PI tag for this output. Currently, the AnalysisDR ignores step, even if it’s input attributes are step.

24 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add IsDST() function to AF Analytics

Use Case: calculating which Shift is working within a rotating-shift cycle, which must the follow Daylight Savings Time offset.

This function is available in the Performance Equation library, but not in AF. The function itself is simple once one knows it, but is not obvious (kudos to Nicola Gargano):

IsDst = Floor(Float('*'-'1-jan') / 3600) Mod 24 <> Hour('*')

It should be added to the AF function library.

For more background, see this link:

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/99046-re-need-isdst-function-is-daylight-savings-time-in-af#32418

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enlarge area for editing analysis expressions

When editing an Analysis Expression, only 4.5 lines appear. It would helpful if more lines appeared (greater than 20 lines).

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error analysiss

As an AF administrator. I want a simple way to generate a complete list of all analyses in error for an entire AF Server. Currently, the only way to retrieve analyses in error is in PI System Explorer which is restricted to a single database and there is no way to export the list.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. % good property of rollup analyses

As a user, I would like to configure my rollups to display a value only if the quality of my inputs reaches a minimum % good (configurable). Currently, it's not clear which inputs are used in the rollup calculation- even if some inputs have bad values, the rollup calculates and appears normal.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a function to calculate the week number of the year

In order to calculate the current shift operating at a plant, I need to calculate where in the 28-day cycle the current week is. Knowing which week of the year it is allows me to do that. Note that current PI weekday functions always count Sunday as Day 1, while some Excel functions count Monday as Day 1. It might be important to have an option to specify which day of the week is Day 1.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Asset-Analytics: Restrict users who can start/stop analyses

As a PI Administrator/Super User, I want to control which users can start or stop analyses. This would allow users to create analyses and preview their results, and for administrators to review them before they are put into production.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show Child Attribute in Analysis PE Editor Auto-Complete

As a user configuring Analyses, I would the the Performance Equation (PE) Editor's auto-complete to suggest any child attributes as well as regular attributes.  Note: This was previously Enhancement 109589.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow nested operations in AF Asset Analytic functions for 'attribute attname'

KB00868 recommends Asset Analytics as the right job, but there are some major limitations that inhibit ease of use and deployment, specifically around operations on >1 attribute or tag simultaneously.

To improve this, AF analyses functions that take in data of type "attribute attname" should be able to process an expression that returns type attribute. Perhaps limited to periodic analyses other toggleable somehow, as there is potential to use a lot of CPU cycles.

== Example 1: Totalized Mass Flow ==
    Given FIT-001 and DIT-002, return the totalized mass flow (say, kg) over an interval. The current process:
    1. Create…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable tracing for one individual Analysis

On a highly loaded system with thousands of analysis i have one analysis that is misbehaving, missing executions but no skipped count, etc. Currently tracing enables tracing for ALL analysis creating an ocean of logging to plough through for that one event every few days.

As an AF administrator i would like to turn on Tracing for one or more individual analysis to investigate rare issues that happen over time, without logging ALL analysis evaluations as 99.9999% runs fine.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add reset and hold triggers to SQC analytics

Add the triggers to SQC rules to reset or hold the SQC rule. When monitoring a periodic or batch based process, a user needs to be able to hold the SQC rule or put that rule in a hold state until the process resumes. Without this feature, virtually all violations to the SQC rules are caused by the downtime periods - not the steady state process users are really intending to monitor

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Which tags are being used by a PI Analysis

As a PI Administrator, I want to know which tags are being used at which PI Analysis so I can know exactly if there is already another Analysis writing to a tag and avoid duplicated or wrong data.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow writing arrays as a time series to an output

I would like to be able to configure outputs in an analysis to write at multiple time points (which are defined by the result of an array function).

My use case is to:

1. Configure an attribute as a Time Series Table Lookup
    2. Create an analysis that retrieves the values of this attribute as an array, e.g. using RecordedValues
    3. Transform the data using MapData
    4. Write the result back to another attribute that is configured as a PI Point

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Scheduled backfilling for a specific time frame on analyses

Add the capability to perform scheduled backfills for a specific time frame, for analyses created on PI System Explorer.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option to not capture value for event frames generation

As an engineer I need the option to not capture values for event frames generation so that if I have out-of-order events, I don't have to recapture the values.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 114349.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Max Rollup to provide AF Element-attribute

Using the Max Rollup function - I would like to know which element provided the maximum value and output this as well so I can historize the information.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Variable True For parameter for Event Frame Analyses

As an AF Administrator, I want to configure an Analysis Template for Event Frames with a True For parameter that would have it's value stored in an AF Attribute (configuration item). The use case is that elements built from the template will have Event Frames that will require a different True For value. I would like to have the analysis both base off a template and with the possibility of having different True For values. It would also be nice to have a True For parameter for the End Time. This is already a request:

https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17648182-event-frame-end-trigger-time-true-functionality

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dynamic element search/view for rollup

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to have more flexibility in including elements in my rollup calculation so that I would not need to build large hierarchies just for the purpose of rollup analyses.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED