PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SecSinceValueChange

One of the items i need to build frequently, yet no support in analytics yet.
    I want to habe an AF Analysis function that returns the number of seconds a value of an attribute has changed. E.g. to calculate how long a pump is running, how long a batch is running, etc.

Currently i need to workaround using a secondary trigger attribute and SecSinceChange, so two analysis and an additional PI Point.

Also see topic here: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/14374-af-analyses-secsincechange-strange-output

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dynamic element search/view for rollup

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to have more flexibility in including elements in my rollup calculation so that I would not need to build large hierarchies just for the purpose of rollup analyses.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve UI for Analysis Service Statistics

It can be difficult to locate an analysis group in the current (2.9.5) UI for the Analysis Statistics in a large system. Currently the groups are organized in decreasing order of lag which is great to troubleshoot latency issues. However, if one wants to keep an eye on the performance of a particular group, they must scroll through the list to find the group which can be painful in a large system. This comes up frequently when trying to see if a group is has some skip counts.

One way of improving the UI could be to include the type…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to not capture value for event frames generation

As an engineer I need the option to not capture values for event frames generation so that if I have out-of-order events, I don't have to recapture the values.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 114349.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to use Good Data only in Analyses.

Analyses can suffer from bad calculations due to bad events for a tag, such as system digital state events returned for a numerical tag.

Although BadVal() can be implemented to avoid using bad events in these analyses, they add another layer of complexity the expression.

The addition of a "Use Good Data" only option in the analysis tab in PSE that applies BadVal handling on top of an analysis would help simplify expressions.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow default value for rollup analysis

Allow a default value to be specified for rollup analysis. This value would be used when the rollup cannot find any matching attributes, thereby eliminating a lot of rollup analysis errors and Calc Failed values from being written.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enhance functionality of NumOfChanges

By now the NumOfChanges Function in AF Analytics does not take into account the value at the start of the timerange. NumOfChanges only counts the amount of changed values of the recorded values in the given timeframe.
    If I query the NumOfChanges for today 12 am till now and my Archived Values are:
    Val1, 11:59 pm (day before)
    Val 2, 4 am
    Val 2, 12 pm
    Val 2, 8 pm

the function will result in 0 although in the time from 12 am to 4 am there was Val1.
    Regarding TechSupport this is not a bug in the functionality, only…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow dynamic PI Point data references for analysis outputs

Created on behalf of a customer:
    In order to use fewer attributes in an element, a customer hoped to output analysis results to an attribute with a dynamic PI Point data reference. Unfortunately, with the use of substitution parameters or with string builder, the "dynamic" PI Point data reference will only resolve the tagname once - upon creation (or when the data reference is manually updated). It doesn't act dynamically because it's not actually designed to act that way.

The current workaround is to create all necessary output attributes, categorize them, and flatten/hide/minimize all categories containing the attributes that are…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Trigger automatic recalculation for snapshot changed values

As for now, automatic recalculation is not triggered by changes on snapshot (KB01790), which means auto-recalculation does not work with snapshots values.
    The idea of it doing otherwise is to help users that mistakenly added a wrong new event to a manual data entry tag to fix it and all related analyses.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Analysis - Default Backfill configuration for service startup

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is an urgent need for a DEFAULT per-analysis configuration in case of service startup, therefore not using the last executed backfill but to have it's own planned recovery which I hope would include the last executed date as an option.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Analysis - Remove backfilling

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is actually no feature to manually remove a configured backfill on a specific analysis.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide a way to backfill/recalculate analyses from Analysis Template tab in PSE

It is difficult to find all the analyses from template to backfill/recalculate after making changes in Analysis Template.  Currently one has to navigate to the Management plug-in, do some sort of search/filter, then queue the analyses.  This is a multi-step process.  Consider providing a better user experience.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom Delivery Channels in PI Notifications (newer versions)

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/3778-custom-delivery-channels-in-pi-notifications-newer-versions

Customer would like to have the Custom Delivery Channels in PI Notifications 2012 upgraded to the newer versions. This limitation is preventing him from updating to the latest technology.

Originally posted on UserVoice

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Manage Analytics for Multiple Databases or Entire AF Server

Currently, the "Management" tab in PSE only allows you to view and manage analyses for the current AF database. Requesting the ability to select and manage analyses for multiple databases or an entire AF server without having to switch between databases.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow analyses to have both Scheduled and Event triggers

Allow analyses to have both Scheduled and Event triggers, rather than having to choose just one of the triggering mechanisms

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add the option to select or add custom triggers on Rollup

Currently Rollup triggers can only be "All attributes" or periodic. But sometimes, especially when you are dealing with lots of attributes been rolled up together, you may want to specify one (or a couple) attributes to the be triggers of your Rollup, while the other attributes wouldn't need to me monitored.

Giving our case as an example, currently we have an asset with 100+ attributes with mixed online and manual data. The online data will come each 15 minutes while the manual data comes once in a week. And all online data comes basically together. So, ideally for us instead…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow users to specify time zone per input

As an analysis user in a multi-national corporation with data from different time zones, I want to be able to designate a time zone per input when configuring analyses so that any relative time used in the analysis refers to the correct data.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Put an Asset into Offline Mode which stops related analyses and notifications

Have a way to manually (or automatically via another calculation/analytic) put the status of an asset/equipment into an offline/maintenance mode that has the effect of turning any analyses and notifications for that asset off.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED