PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Analysis need to be able to query Event Frames

the ability to rollup or sum event frame data for a month would be great!

10 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Properly handle Event Frame edits on Event Frames that are generated by the PI Analysis Service

Users manipulate open event frames that are generated by the PI Analysis Service. The manipulation can be:

1) Write to an attribute on the EF
    2) Write an annotation
    3) Acknolwedge the EF

When these manipulations are being performed the Event Frame is checked out to the user performing the changes. From time to time, it happens that a closing event is received and the PI Analysis Service fails to close the Event Frame as it is checked out to another user. This causes the analysis to stop and the event frame remains opens.

A possible solutions could be:

Retry…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Analytics Service Utilization

The current 'Analysis Service Statistics' explain quantitatively "what is happening", but do not quantify the available capacity of the analytics engine. Managing a large and busy AF Server involves far too much guesswork as to how much additional throughput is available.

At any given moment, hundreds of analytics are running in parallel across dozens of calculation threads, using several or dozens of paralleldatapipes - but as far as I can find, there is no meaningful way to monitor the overall activity levels.

Bottlenecking occurs in many different ways - available CPU, available RAM, available threads, available data pipes, available data…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Display time when analysis went into error

PI System Explorer should show the last time an analysis went into error on the Management tab.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Totalizer that resets to 0 with Asset based Analytics

I need to calculate a running sum (totalizer) of a PI Point and reset it to 0 at the beginning of each month. I would like to do this with Asset based Analytics. There are workarounds to do this, but none are great. For example, one workaround involves an intermediate PI Point and another work around does not work with backfilling.

There is this request already on user voice: https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17442598-event-weighted-summary-functions

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for because I need my total to be reset periodically (1 month in my specific case).

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AF Analytics overwrites data in real time

Current AF analytics cannot overwrite data in real time, only appends new value with the same timestamp.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to easily split Event Frame on a time range

Users have requested to have Event Frames split up based on a time range to more easily visualize the data and make reports.

For example, if an Event Frame is triggered Monday at 4pm and closed on Wednesday at 6pm it would be nice to have 1 event per day. On Monday it would be from 4pm-midnight, Tuesday all day and Wednesday till 6pm.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide function to allow users to get n-th event before/after a certain time

Provide the functionality in AF analytics to get the nth event of an attribute before/after a certain point in time where n is a variable.

In cases where n is small or fixed we can use the PrevEvent() or NextEvent() functions n times to do this, perhaps with some IF statements to handle small variations in n.  This is not practical for cases where n is large or varies over a large range of values,

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Future analyses whose values update as the present approaches

I would like to use the analysis service to create a forecast whose values update as a given timestamp approaches the present. A forecast 5 minutes into the future is more likely to be accurate than a forecast an hour into the future.

Currently, I can use multiple analyses to write to the same tag at different points in the future, e.g. an hour ahead, 30 minutes ahead, and 5 minutes ahead. This results in multiple values at the same timestamp which is problematic for client tools.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Curve Function to reference attribute and internal variable values for numeric constants (x1,y1) (x2,y2) (xn,yn)

As a End User I would like the Analysis Curve Function to accept referenced attributes and internal calculation variables for numeric constants (x1,y1) (x2,y2) (xn,yn) so that the resulting y value is based on a dynamically updating curve function, where the updates are references to the most recent attribute values. Currently the hard-coded curve definition is insufficient for our needs.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Flexible Analysis Scheduling Options

Users should have flexible Analysis scheduling options, similar to the Outlook recurring meeting options.

See attached image for date-based recurrence patterns. Similar patterns for time would be helpful as well.

As is, many PI Analysis users are cluttering their Analysis Templates with timing checks to work around the absence of scheduling options. Ideally, periodic scheduling should not have to be built into Analysis expressions.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Trigger automatic recalculation for snapshot changed values

As for now, automatic recalculation is not triggered by changes on snapshot (KB01790), which means auto-recalculation does not work with snapshots values.
    The idea of it doing otherwise is to help users that mistakenly added a wrong new event to a manual data entry tag to fix it and all related analyses.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Failed Calculations to Output a Value Rather Than 'Calc Failed'

As an AF Asset Analytics user, I would like there to be an option to output a value rather than 'Calc Failed' if an analysis fails to evaluate.  I have several aggregate analyses which are dependent on other analyses (which will occasionally fail (which I expect)). When these lower level analyses fail, I would like to have the option of setting the output of the failed analysis to 0 (or some other value), so that the higher level analysis may continue to function properly (instead of failing as well).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Performance equation to calculate tag median over time range

Currently we do not have functionality to calculate a median over a set of tag archive values. For example a function such as TagMed('sinusoid', '*-2h', '*-30m') to return the median of that set of archive values.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. High availability options with Big-IP F5 for Notifications and Analytics instead of only Windows Clustering?

We have redundant servers for AF components (Notifications & Analytics). In a virtual environment, our IT doesn't support Windows Clustering due to the way storage is implemented enterprise wide.

What does it take to support F5? Our IT engineers argue that F5 and Windows Clustering work on the same principle.

We set everything up but during configuration in (AF), when we setup F5 FQDN, the Notification/Analysis services won't even start.

We are willing to provide more info to make this work. Thanks.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pass the default attribute UOM to PI Point created via auto tag creation feature

As I user, I want to create my analysis output tags with the eng units matching the defaut UOM set for the element attribute. That would require the implementation of a substituition parameter like %UOM%.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. NoOutput() function in Asset Analytics

I want to use the NoOutput() function in my analytic even when the output Attribute is not mapped to a PI Point

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Rollup analysis to output to to an Analysis Data Reference

I would like there to be a way to output the results of a rollup analysis to an Analysis Data Reference, so that I can view a trend without having to write to a PI point. Currently, there is no option to have a rollup analysis that does not write to a PI point other than changing it to a None DR after the fact, and if you do this you cannot see a trend of the attribute (it shows a flat line).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Analysis Preview Results - Remove Table and Graph

When using the preview analysis function an an analysis with many variables the preview graph and table struggles to keep up, and uses a long time to update. When there are many variables, these are also quite useless.

It would therefore be an improvement if these could be made optional so that the preview output could be taken directly to a .csv file.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enhance functionality of NumOfChanges

By now the NumOfChanges Function in AF Analytics does not take into account the value at the start of the timerange. NumOfChanges only counts the amount of changed values of the recorded values in the given timeframe.
    If I query the NumOfChanges for today 12 am till now and my Archived Values are:
    Val1, 11:59 pm (day before)
    Val 2, 4 am
    Val 2, 12 pm
    Val 2, 8 pm

the function will result in 0 although in the time from 12 am to 4 am there was Val1.
    Regarding TechSupport this is not a bug in the functionality, only…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED