PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide function to allow users to get n-th event before/after a certain time

Provide the functionality in AF analytics to get the nth event of an attribute before/after a certain point in time where n is a variable.

In cases where n is small or fixed we can use the PrevEvent() or NextEvent() functions n times to do this, perhaps with some IF statements to handle small variations in n.  This is not practical for cases where n is large or varies over a large range of values,

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Future analyses whose values update as the present approaches

I would like to use the analysis service to create a forecast whose values update as a given timestamp approaches the present. A forecast 5 minutes into the future is more likely to be accurate than a forecast an hour into the future.

Currently, I can use multiple analyses to write to the same tag at different points in the future, e.g. an hour ahead, 30 minutes ahead, and 5 minutes ahead. This results in multiple values at the same timestamp which is problematic for client tools.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set name of Event Frame on close (or by the value of an EF output attribute)

It would be useful if Analysis Service would set the name of the Event Frame on close rather than open.

The use case is customer wants to dynamically set the name by a value of an EF attribute (possibly an EF output attribute) - for example, if a value changes while the event frame is opened, the customer wants to output the status of whether it has changed or not to an EF attribute and use that value such as  "<Event Frame name> - changed" instead of just "<Event Frame name>"

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Analyses Rollup should support Range and more functions

I want the Rollup to use the Range or Delta function.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use Event Frame attributes as inputs to Event Frame analysis in the Outputs at close section

It would be nice if it was possible to access Event Frame attributes in the Outputs at close section of an Event Frame analysis.

Use case:
    I have an event frame generation analysis and I would like to write a few outputs to the event frame on close. I want to write outputs based on the duration of the event frame and whether someone has already edited the event frame while it was open.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Sampled Data with Analysis Data Reference

Customer would like to have Sampled Data with Analysis Data Reference (periodic values output) without creating tags as output for the Analysis.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Failed Calculations to Output a Value Rather Than 'Calc Failed'

As an AF Asset Analytics user, I would like there to be an option to output a value rather than 'Calc Failed' if an analysis fails to evaluate.  I have several aggregate analyses which are dependent on other analyses (which will occasionally fail (which I expect)). When these lower level analyses fail, I would like to have the option of setting the output of the failed analysis to 0 (or some other value), so that the higher level analysis may continue to function properly (instead of failing as well).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Performance equation to calculate tag median over time range

Currently we do not have functionality to calculate a median over a set of tag archive values. For example a function such as TagMed('sinusoid', '-2h', '-30m') to return the median of that set of archive values.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pass the default attribute UOM to PI Point created via auto tag creation feature

As I user, I want to create my analysis output tags with the eng units matching the defaut UOM set for the element attribute. That would require the implementation of a substituition parameter like %UOM%.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Conditional Analytics within event frame templates

As a PI Admin, I'd like to be able to calculate conditional based analytics within my event frames rather than in an outside calculation that you need to reference within the event frame. This causes timing issues when trying to schedule that calculation and the event frame generation. Having an expression analysis and event frame generation analysis is additional work to set up and to maintain.
    Work around is to use Datalink or another client tool.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Analysis Preview Results - Remove Table and Graph

When using the preview analysis function an an analysis with many variables the preview graph and table struggles to keep up, and uses a long time to update. When there are many variables, these are also quite useless.

It would therefore be an improvement if these could be made optional so that the preview output could be taken directly to a .csv file.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Filter/Flag PI System Generated Error Message as Analysis Inputs to prevent False Positive Evaluations

The PI data archive (and potentially other systems) can generate many automated error messages to assist with troubleshooting. One such key example is "[-10767] Client exceeded maximum concurrent queries in RPC thread pool", which occurs when a service (such as AF Analyses) doesn't have adequate threads to retrieve input values.

If this error is given because of a system issue, the Asset Analysis service will still process the logic with that error message being used a generic string. If the logic is something similar to Input <>1, then this would resolve as TRUE. In this scenario, this would be a…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Asset Analytics should have a performance counter to indicate data loss on the UpdateManager queue

Currently there is no way to know if Analytics missed important updates (e.g. start of a batch) without analyzing the message logs.
    However, the AFSDK does provide an indication on the DataPipe if the pipe is in an overflow state, allowing for a consumer to detect if updates have been lost.

I would like AF Analytics to include a Performance Counter that indicates the UpdateQueue size and/or an indication of lost Events. That allows to monitor if any important data is potentially missed by Analytics.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PI Analysis upgrade with Service Failover Cluster

When upgrading PI Analysis service it prompts to select the current server as the one registered for Analyses. If you do not select it, the installation does not pass.
    The PI Analysis installation should allow to not change the server registered to execute analysis.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have PI Analysis Service Automatically Update the Definition of Existing Digital States

If an existing digital state is edited, PI Analysis Service does not recognize the change until it is restarted. A digital state should not be edited too often. However, it would be useful if there is a process to update cache, including each digital state, which PI Analysis Service uses.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integrate Anaconda python

It's important to have Anaconda python with Af to perform machine learning and it will be easy to implement those models to have maximum benifits combined with pi and machine learning

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Version dependent analysis

It should be possible to change the used analyses dependent on the version of an element. Currently the analyses are used across all element versions.

For example I want to calculate the expected output of a machine. Starting on 01-Oct the machine is revised and I have to use a different formula for the calculation.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Analysis service should be able to use both the string and integer values of attributes with an enumeration set data type.

If an AF attribute is based off an enumeration set, currently an analysis will only evaluate accurately if that attribute is compared to the string portion of the enumeration set. An analysis should be able to use both strings and integers when evaluating.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Better search criteria in Management tab of PI System Explorer

PI System Explorer Management Tab should have better search criteria. For example, select specific elements in which to rerun an Analysis. Maybe use Element = something OR/AND Element = something else. Or search by element path.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED