PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ARMA function in Asset Analytics

As an analysis user, interested in implementing event detection for micro-grid and PMU deployments, given the model parameters, I would like to be able to compute ARMA (Auto Regressions Moving Average) model, so that I can easily identify events that indicate deviations from normal operation

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Split Event Frame on secondary trigger

Currently if we define multiple start triggers, a child Event Frame is generated when a next star trigger fires.

I would like to 'split' the Event in this case. Thus close the EF and start a new one.
    Example use case: I need separate tracking of a status. Nowi have 10 different statusses, requiring 10 different analysis for each status. With this change i can create 1 analysis with 10 different start triggers.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The capability of generating consecutive event frames based on a trigger attribute will be available in the AF 2018 release. For example, let’s say you have an attribute that is a digital PI Points that can change between different states, you can configure 1 analysis to close the previous event frame and open a new event frame when the PI Point goes from one state to another. Does this solve your needs? BTW, this is currently in beta.

3. Octave integration with AF Analytics

Like Mathlab, Octave is a powerful free calculus software which is used commonly in machine learning. I think it could be a good idea to integrate this software with PI Analytics just for these purpouses and others like just make advance calculations.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Conditional Analytics within event frame templates

As a PI Admin, I'd like to be able to calculate conditional based analytics within my event frames rather than in an outside calculation that you need to reference within the event frame. This causes timing issues when trying to schedule that calculation and the event frame generation. Having an expression analysis and event frame generation analysis is additional work to set up and to maintain.
    Work around is to use Datalink or another client tool.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make the second parameter of PrevVal optional

The PrevVal function currently requires two parameters: an attribute and a timestamp. However, I find that 90% of the time that I use this function I am looking for the previous value with respect to the current time ('*'). The error which analytics throws does not make this error apparent, and it seems like making the second parameter optional (with the default being '*' would provide a better user experience).

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Limit the load of the PIRecalculationprocessor when backfilling

We had a few issues with key-users creating inefficient AF Analysis and starting a backfill over a longer time period.
    This resulted in a CPU load of 100% (caused by the PIRecalculationprocessor).
    The whole PI System got not responsive incl. PI System Explorer so unable to see anything.
    Killing the PIRecalculationprocessor.exe process didn't work because a new process (with new PID) was running in a split second. Also setting process priority to Low didn’t make any difference.

Need a way to limit the time period user can use to start backfill and / or limit the load of the PIRecalculationprocessor…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Retrieve an Attribute Reference from a String variable

Because some functions in PI AF Analytics require an attribute reference (instead of a tag number or tag value), it would be useful to be able to retrieve an attribute reference using a String variable. This functionality would allow dependent attributes to be referenced using the Concat() function.

In the attached example, entering the parent attribute once is all that's required, as opposed to having three separate tag entries restating the hierarchy of attributes. While it is trivially easy to write this hierarchy out for one analytic, it gets cumbersome when you write a significant amount more.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow output expressions when using implicit Event Frame generation modes

In AF/Analytics 2018, implicit modes of Event Frame generation were introduced (Pulse, Step, and Step Continuous), but they do not allow for an output expression like the explicit trigger. Adding this functionality would allow for EF attribute values to be written directly to PI tags when using any implicit mode.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Better show current analysis in template

We have a template called AnalogPVAsset with an analysis called BadValues (see attachment level 1).

Derived from that template we have a template AnalogPVSTSEuLoHiAsset where we have overridden the BadValues analysis (see attachment level 2). The overridden method is greyed out so that one can recognize which analyses is the currently active one.

Derived from template AnalogPVSTSEuLoHiAsset we have another template called AnalogPVSTSEuLoHiDysfMaintAsset where we do not change the BadValues analysis. (see attachment level 3).
    Unfortunately both versions (from level 1 and 2) are greyed out and you can not easily distinguish which one is the active analysis version.

Maybe…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Which attribute triggered analysis

I have an analysis that is event-triggered by multiple attributes.
    This analysis has the purpose of merging input attribute events with output tag, therefore I need to know which attribute triggered analysis to save only the newest event to output tag.

The workaround for it is feasible, but gives a lot work in case there are more than 10 input attributes.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Substitution Parameters in Analysis Template Names

As an AF administrator, I want to configure analysis template names using Substitution Parameters to distinguish analysis from each other with PSE and in AF SDK Applications.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support full dimensional analysis

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like the UOMs to be consistent and meaningful throughout the calculations that might involve various complex operations so that the written output values are meaningful and with the correct units.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add an analysis function to find the Kth largest value in an array

Expression analyses allow you to find the largest value of an attribute over a specified time range using the TagMax function. A function which offers the ability the find the Kth largest value (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, etc.) would be useful. Something similar to the LARGE function in Excel would be ideal.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow analysis to utilize event frame properties such as event frame start time in the analysis

Support analyses on event frames by allowing accessing event frame properties such as StartTime of the event frame as an input to the event frame analysis.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow analyses to trigger after MaxTime has passed

Trigger analyses "On Any" but also allow for a MaxTime and trigger after MaxTime has passed. Helpful to keep the timestamp current.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New functions for analysis

New functions are needed for most problems in our fileds process and quality:

* countif (count with conditions over specified horizon)
    * for loop (even it might be hard to implementate)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Event Frame Generation - Step Continuous Mode need not be based on Digital State Sets

If there are no zeroth state needed for this type of operation then I don't see the need for the triggering input to be tied to a Digital State Set.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Shutdown states should not be written into the analysis output PI Point by default

There should be an easy way to change the default value of the shutdown flag for analysis output PI Points. Right now, the default value is True, which means my analysis will show a "Shutdown" value every time I restart my PI Data Archive. The easiest way to modify it right now is in the attribute configuration and we can't easily use PI Builder to modify this parameter.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Improve version control mechanism to consider also PI AF Analysis & Notifications Elements

Improve version control mechanism to consider also PI AF Analysis & Notifications Elements:

Background:
    When adding or removing an attribute to an Element in PI AF, the element's revision number is incremented (as expected) which makes the revision history to be correctly represented to the end user with a clear picture of the changes performed.
    Currently PI Analysis & PI Notifications are not version controlled (at least not from an end-user perspective). Changes performed via PI System Explorer are audited but there is no version\revision number exposed to the end user to enable a clear view of history of changes…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Analysis Management Plugin should ignore\ not allow backfill of non-history Analyses

Analysis Management Plugin should ignore\ not allow backfill of non-history Analyses.  This will improve manageability.

In the management pane, one can select analyses and then  queue for backfill, even if the analyses have no PIPoint Data Reference attribute outputs.  This appears to take some processing.  The management plugin should ignore these or even unselect with messaging that these analyses are not eligible for backfilling.

This comes up most often when users are doing a bulk backfill of analyses and do a select all of their analyses.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED