PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Referencing attributes on other Elements for PI Notifications 2016 Message

Request : Being able to show Attribute values from other Elements other than the attributes on the Referenced Element for the Message in Notification 2016.

Description : From the old version, it was possible for a notification message to display a value not only the target element but also an attribute of other elements (by browsing down elements and selecting the attribute)

In the 2016 version, it does not allow for the user to choose attributes in other elements but only the attributes of the Referenced (or targeted) Element.

The screenshot (Attached file) shows a relative path of an attribute…

95 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. List all Notifications and its subscribers

Managing thousands of notifications can be difficult. There should be an option to export all the notifications and its subscribers. In PI Builder, you can find information about notifications via Contacts and Elements. There should be a direct way to list all the notifications.

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multistate values on Notification emails

As a user of PI AF and Notifications Service, I would like to send emails, with contents whose color will be changing according to the condition, like a Multistate Symbol on PI Processbook. I would like to avoid creating a number of email formats with the personalized contents.

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It would be great to have an option to backfill/recalculate Event Frame analysis without sending notificaiton.

I know, that notifications are not sent for event frames older than 72 hours, but that 3 days is still too long.

Usually we just want to recalculate  Event Frames to have a proper statistic about the past in reports. The notification is used to alert users about current situation. It is very confusing when we are sending out 2 days old messages.

It is even more problematic, if we just recalculate EventFrames. Recalculation means, that the notifications for the same issues are sent out second times.

I understand that these backfilled notifications might be useful sometimes, but it would…

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. List Notifications by User

It would be useful to add a feature to list notifications by user. This feature would be helpful in managing the list of notifications as more notifications are created and as users change job roles.

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Notifications email acknowledgement

To have an email acknowledgement system where recipients can reply to the email and have the notification acknowledged

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable headers for SOAP and REST Web Service Notifications

The feature added in 2017 R2 was for authentication of the SOAP payload, not for managing headers within the payload.  PI remains unusable as a secure source of data for Maximo without it because you can't configure a MAXAUTH header.

There's no way to configure headers for Notification Rules associated with a PI AF Services v2017 SP1 Elements with a SOAP or REST Web Service Endpoint.  Authenticated web services, such as our company's Maximo's meter data inbound service requires a MAXAUTH header with a base64-encrypted username:password string.  As a result, you can't use PI as a source of data for…

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Copy & Paste of Notification Rules

I would like to be able to copy a notification rule in PI System Explorer from an existing element or template and paste it on another element or template. That way when I have similar notification rules, I can copy/paste and make only the changes I need instead of recreating the rule.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Self Sign Up for Notification

As a User I wants to decide if I am interessted to receive a Notification or not. There should be the option that I can see all Notifications for an Element, and I want to sign me to receive those Notifications.
    This should be full User driven directly e.g. in PI Vision

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to send a notification without being triggered by an event frame

As a notification user I want to receive a report on daily or weekly basis but I don’t want to store any associated data about it like the event frame information or the notification history since I use event frames for other purposes and I don’t want to clutter my PI system

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email When a Notification Triggers

It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email when the notification first triggers.
    At this time, and End Time of 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time (GMT-06:00:00) is displayed even though an event is not closed.
    Note: in this case notifications have been set up to send at Event Start and End Time.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow Notification rules to return an EF attribute value belonging to a different event frame in AF

I have a scenario where I would like that a certain Notification Rule, set for an Event Frame analysis (EF1), allows to return the value of an EF attribute belonging to a different Event Frame (EF2).

On this scenario, the EF2 is triggered and finishes inside the time period of EF1.

I would like to have the possibility that when EF1 is triggered the notification rules allow to find the value of the attribute belonging to EF2.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Date Format in AF Event Notification

In AF please provide a way to suppress time zone and/or to format the timestamp in AF Events, particularity, Notifications. For example, in the message format in e-mail notification I do not need to indicate the time zone it was triggered in.
    Please make this available in the AF SDK as well as in PI System Explorer.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PI Notifications (2.X) Acknowledgement Page

Currently, the only way to acknowledge a notification in PI Notifications (2.X) is to acknowledge the event frame in PI Vision. Not all customer's have PI Vision.

Therefore, the Acknoledgment Site from PI Notifications (1.X) should be upgraded to include event frames with the functionality of (2.X).

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Notifications for events in the past

Currently notifications are not triggered (send) by events that are more than 72 hours in the past. For me it is necessary to get notifications from events in the (endless) past. Ideally I would like to configure for each notification separately the time range (from now on backwards) in which the notification should be triggered.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Do not re-send alert when Notifications service is restarted.

When the Notifications service is restarted, any alerts with an event that has not closed will be re-sent.  This is annoying and misleading.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to override sender email per notification

Feature of Notifications 2012 that was not carried forward - big mistake.

Need the ability to customize the sender email on notifications.  Makes it easier for users to configure email rules to take actions such as file in certain folders, forward, etc.  Also - with iPhone VIP setting, can set up phone to alert differently for critical notifications.

Huge swing and miss...

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Access Tag Properties for Notification Content

As an AF user, I would like to be able to store a tag’s instrument tag value in an attribute so that it can be used in the content of a Notification. For example, notifying someone on data from a PING interface where the instrumenttag property holds the IP Address.

I am able to create an AF analysis to store a tag’s description in an attribute using the TagDesc PE function, but there is no similar PE function to pull in a tag’s instrument tag.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Display XY Plots and Events table data in Notifications embedded PI Vision screenshot

When Notifications e-mails are configured to include a screenshot of a PI Vision display, the screenshot will show blanks where the data should appear. This is due to a limitation of Phantom JS, the browser used to render the screenshots, which does not support Negotiate (Kerberos/NTLM) for authentication. XY Plot and Events table data require Kerberos authentication since they are supplied by PI Web API. This can also happen with other PI Vision symbols if Negotiate is the only provider listed in IIS for Windows authentication.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Edit Notify Option in bulk

They want to know if it is possible to set the Subscriber Notify Option as Event start and End as default in the new PI Notifications Rules

They claim it is hard to set it for all the subscribers one by one.

There is currently no way to do that and they would like to have at least the option to do that in bulk.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED