PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for bugs, please report to OSIsoft Tech Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get the content of a string array in a Notification email

An AF attribute with a data type of String Array and a data reference of table lookup retrieves multiple values from an imported table (number of rows always vary). Would like to get the content of the string array in the body of the Notification or provide a URL link to a PI Vision display with the content of the string array.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Notifications Time Zone Format

In Notifications 2016 R2, when configuring a custom Date format (via the TimeFormat attribute in the AF Configuration database), I would like an option to have the time zone display as EDT, PST, etc. The only option is to show it as a +/- offset from GMT. You can hardcode the time zone (i.e. MM-dd-yy hh:mm:ss tt EDT), but then it doesn't change based on daylight savings time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow Copy & Paste of Notification Rules

I would like to be able to copy a notification rule in PI System Explorer from an existing element or template and paste it on another element or template. That way when I have similar notification rules, I can copy/paste and make only the changes I need instead of recreating the rule.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enable authentication headers for SOAP and REST Web Service Notifications

There's no way to configure headers for Notification Rules associated with a PI AF Services v2017 SP1 Elements with a SOAP or REST Web Service Endpoint.  Authenticated web services, such as our company's Maximo's meter data inbound service requires a MAXAUTH header with a base64-encrypted username:password string.  As a result, you can't use PI as a source of data for Maximo's condition-based maintenance triggers and automated asset meter reading updates, if Maximo uses authentication on its web services.  That's a fairly common scenario with a high rate of return on the PI-Maximo integration efforts for a lot of customers.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom time formats for specific notifications

Customer would like a specific Notification to use a 24 hour time format, while all other Notifications use the 12 hour time format.

For Example: Notifications A sends out emails in a 24 hour time format. All other notifications sends out emails in a 12 hour time format.

Currently it is possible to change all Notification time formats but it is not possible to change individual Notification time formats.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Implement contact-level time formatting specification

I want to be able to configure a time format setting at the contact level. This will allow me to send notifications with the user's desired time format.

We can currently change time formatting options at the notification service level, but I have users receiving notifications from the same system who have different formatting requirements.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Send Notification Alert only on Close

As of now, there are the options to send a notification at the start of an event and at the start and end of an event.

There should be a third option to send a notification only on closure of an event.

17 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Option to change (or extend) mail format on element level

For some elements, i would like to add some extra agreement specific text to the notification mail.

There is currently no good method for doing this, since this is locked to the template.

I suggest that which mail goes out to each subscriber could be changed on element level (treat as the value of an attribute).

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Value at End Time in PI Notifications 2.X

It would be nice to have the ability to drag and drop the value at end time of  an attribute in the message format of a Notification. We can do this with the value at start time and the value at send time, but not the value at end time. There are some ways to workaround this, but it would be nice to have it as a drag and drop option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Propagate renames of event frame generation analyses to the notification rules

Currently, if an event frame generation analysis is renamed, all notifications rules that use it will display an error message, saying that the event frame generation analysis might have been renamed or deleted.

This message is fine for deletions, but it would be much more user-friendly if the notification rules were to automatically update to reflect the rename of the event frame generation analysis.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PI Notifications: Run exe on notification trigger

When a trigger condition is satisfied run an executable. This might be possible using Custom Delivery Channel but Custom Delivery Channels are no longer supported in PI Notifications 2.x

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Notification Resend Count

It would be nice to have a Notification Resend Count that could be used as a content in notification formats.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide option for backfilling history and details within notification email

The Notifications rules email format should include backfilling history and details of its respective event frame in the content options. The backfilling content can include:
    - Completed Time
    - Start Time
    - End Time
    - Last Evaluation
    - Events Processed

See the screenshot attached to see an example of the dialog that appears when hovering over the event frame or analysis. This would provide information to the users to know if these were recalculated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Dialog for configuring notifications

I would be good to have a dialog for configuring notifications setting as it was available in the old notifications version.
    It seems strange to me to change values in the configuration database.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It would be great to have an option to backfill/recalculate Event Frame analysis without sending notificaiton.

I know, that notifications are not sent for event frames older than 72 hours, but that 3 days is still too long.

Usually we just want to recalculate  Event Frames to have a proper statistic about the past in reports. The notification is used to alert users about current situation. It is very confusing when we are sending out 2 days old messages.

It is even more problematic, if we just recalculate EventFrames. Recalculation means, that the notifications for the same issues are sent out second times.

I understand that these backfilled notifications might be useful sometimes, but it would…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Recipients of Notification able to see all recipients

Everyone who received notification can view other recipients of email notification in "To:" field.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Self Sign Up for Notification

As a User I wants to decide if I am interessted to receive a Notification or not. There should be the option that I can see all Notifications for an Element, and I want to sign me to receive those Notifications.
    This should be full User driven directly e.g. in PI Vision

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Follow all notifications status & be able to resend a notification

When a notification is not sent, it's very difficult to follow which notification has been sent or not. In case where the notification has'nt been sent, have the possibility to send manually the notification.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Attachment in a Notifications from a file path

As an AF administrator, I  would like to send in an attachment of a Notification files that are specified by file path in AF attributes. I currently do this by specifying the value at start time of an AF attribute that contains the changing file paths,  in the body of the email. I would like to have this as an attachment instead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. List all Notifications and its subscribers

Managing thousands of notifications can be difficult. There should be an option to export all the notifications and its subscribers. In PI Builder, you can find information about notifications via Contacts and Elements. There should be a direct way to list all the notifications.

27 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base