PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add functionality to tables to make it more dynamic and easier to configure in a format.

As a notification user I want to see a table of all the attributes and its values on the target element in my email, furthermore when I add or remove attributes I want to see it automagically updated in my email without me having to reconfigure the table in my format.  

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Send notification to additional persons based on change in severity

A way to configure a notification rule to send to additional contacts when the severity status changes without creating a new analysis.

Customer use case:
    Customer wants to scan devices. If a device fails to respond (I/O Timeout) over a short period of time, the event frame Severity is set to Warning and a notification is sent to IT. If the device remains offline for an extended period of time a child event frame is created and severity changes to major. When this occurs the customer would like additional people to be notified so they can go investigate the issue.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Drag and drop multiple contacts into subscriber list.

Enable users to drag and drop multiple contacts into the subscribers pane, rather than selecting each contact one at a time.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Format Painter in notification formatting

Put Format Painter into notification message formatting, as in Word.
    It takes a lot of time to set separate format of each content.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SOAP Header for authentication

The Notification Webservice only authenticates HTTP header for now and not SOAP header.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Notifications format editor "Create a Link" tool should allow the base address to be substituted from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute

As a Notifications user, I would like to be able to use certain features of the "Create a Link" tool for editing Notifications Formats, like the ability to display alternate text and add url parameters, when the url is held in an attribute that is a URI Builder Data Reference.

Currently, you must explicitly specify the base address in the Notification Format for the template (the base address does not accept substitution from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute). This is a problem when each element based off the template should have a different URL.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Resend Interval value inside an attribute

As a PI System Administrator, I want to set the Resend Interval at an attribute so I do not have to enter every time at the notification and take some time to change it.

From time to time we have different priority levels on our equipment that needs more monitoring due to unwanted conditions, especially if there might be something going wrong. Doing it directly at attributes would save a lot of time.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PI Notifications: Run exe on notification trigger

When a trigger condition is satisfied run an executable. This might be possible using Custom Delivery Channel but Custom Delivery Channels are no longer supported in PI Notifications 2.x

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide option for backfilling history and details within notification email

The Notifications rules email format should include backfilling history and details of its respective event frame in the content options. The backfilling content can include:
    - Completed Time
    - Start Time
    - End Time
    - Last Evaluation
    - Events Processed

See the screenshot attached to see an example of the dialog that appears when hovering over the event frame or analysis. This would provide information to the users to know if these were recalculated.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Event Frame Variable values to be used in a Notification Rule email

I have a scenario where we are sending alerts on how well a fermentation batch has performed. I need look at attribute values at a specified timestamp and compare the other values at that same time. Easy enough right? The problem is I cannot send those values in the email alert because the attribute/pinpoint may have already received some new values or some may have been entered out of order causing the values in the email alert to not match up with what actually happened for that particular batch.

I can get the email alert to go out no problem…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give users the option to search existing Notification Contact Groups

In the "Contacts" pane, allow users to search through existing Notification Contact Groups.
    Additionally, give users the option to organize contact groups in some way, either by who created the group or by extending AF Categories to the contacts pane.

Example:

Notification Contact Groups can be configured to match how various engineers are organized into different teams throughout a company.
    However, another engineer using AF may unknowingly create duplicate notification contact groups, as they cannot easily find an existing contact group with the desired configuration.
    This leads to inconsistencies between notifications (different contact groups that reference the same list of…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Notifications new option to not be notified if child event frames are created

Currently there are options in a radio button configuration under "Choose when to be notified if child event frames are created for multiple trigger conditions" but there isn't a "do not notify for child event frames" option.

Please add the "Do not notify for child event frames" option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change "EMail" to "Email" in the results of contact searches by email address

Throughout PI System Explorer, the capitalized form of "email" is written as "Email" except in the results of contact searches by email address, where it is written as "EMail". Please change this to "Email" for consistency and correctness. See the attachment.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enable headers for SOAP web service end point

As a PI Administrator I need PI Notifications to support custom headers for SOAP web service end points. Some external systems require specific headers and currently it is only possible to customize headers for REST end points. As an example of an external system, to utilize Maximo security a custom header must be included.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Set WebService Notification Delivery Point Parameters on Contacts tab

When setting a Delivery Channel of the type WebService, SOAP style, be able to set the Value of a Web Channel Parameter on the contacts tab (without needing to go to the element and edit subscriptions)

That functionality was available on PI Notifications 2012, we can see that implementation on the video: https://youtu.be/HMZty1XFG-s?t=321
    But now, we can only set the Value of a Parameter of a Web Service when editing the subscription of the Element that has a notification configured, when clicking editing subscriptions

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to change notifications in bulk for delivery channel

API Rest delivery channel has one format, it is configured for one template. Customer would like to implement it for all of the templates in bulk.

Two Notification Templates could be linked to two different Analysis Templates that can be linked to two different Event Frame templates. Therefore the options to populate the delivery end point could be different between notification template. SQL stores a GUID in the properties of the delivery format, applying in bulk would also mean copying over GUIDs which would result in the wrong configuration.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable Trace logging per Notification or Notification Template

As an PI System administrator, I would like to leave the Trace flag on for important Notifications. This would avoid having to wait for an issue to reoccur to troubleshoot. Currently the Trace flag is a service wide property. If left on for an extended period of time, the logs get flooded and the log files consume quite a bit of disk space.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. As a notifications admin, I have to move between the management plugin and elements page when I want to edit multiple notifications

With PI Notifications 1.X, a notifications admin, had the ability to use the “Notifications” tab in PSE. Some users would frequently use this tab to run a search on their notifications and return a results set (list of notifications matching their search criteria). Then they would navigate through this list and find the notifications they want to make an edit to. For example, if they wanted to remove a contact from several notifications in this list, they could choose one notification, remove a contact, check-in, select a different notification in the list, remove a contact, check-in, rinse and repeat.

With…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow new Delivery Endpoints to auto-populate with Active Directory fields

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide configuration option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Notification email Acknowledgment via an app

The idea would be to have a way of acknowledging the notification email in a specific and simple app. When the notification is pushed to this app the user simply acknowledges it and the system would recognize it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED