PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set WebService Notification Delivery Point Parameters on Contacts tab

When setting a Delivery Channel of the type WebService, SOAP style, be able to set the Value of a Web Channel Parameter on the contacts tab (without needing to go to the element and edit subscriptions)

That functionality was available on PI Notifications 2012, we can see that implementation on the video: https://youtu.be/HMZty1XFG-s?t=321
    But now, we can only set the Value of a Parameter of a Web Service when editing the subscription of the Element that has a notification configured, when clicking editing subscriptions

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to change notifications in bulk for delivery channel

API Rest delivery channel has one format, it is configured for one template. Customer would like to implement it for all of the templates in bulk.

Two Notification Templates could be linked to two different Analysis Templates that can be linked to two different Event Frame templates. Therefore the options to populate the delivery end point could be different between notification template. SQL stores a GUID in the properties of the delivery format, applying in bulk would also mean copying over GUIDs which would result in the wrong configuration.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Enable Trace logging per Notification or Notification Template

As an PI System administrator, I would like to leave the Trace flag on for important Notifications. This would avoid having to wait for an issue to reoccur to troubleshoot. Currently the Trace flag is a service wide property. If left on for an extended period of time, the logs get flooded and the log files consume quite a bit of disk space.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. As a notifications admin, I have to move between the management plugin and elements page when I want to edit multiple notifications

With PI Notifications 1.X, a notifications admin, had the ability to use the “Notifications” tab in PSE. Some users would frequently use this tab to run a search on their notifications and return a results set (list of notifications matching their search criteria). Then they would navigate through this list and find the notifications they want to make an edit to. For example, if they wanted to remove a contact from several notifications in this list, they could choose one notification, remove a contact, check-in, select a different notification in the list, remove a contact, check-in, rinse and repeat.

With…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow new Delivery Endpoints to auto-populate with Active Directory fields

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide configuration option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Notification email Acknowledgment via an app

The idea would be to have a way of acknowledging the notification email in a specific and simple app. When the notification is pushed to this app the user simply acknowledges it and the system would recognize it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable to change the font settings for dynamic content values in Notifications Message Format

customer wants to change the font settings for a dynamic content values in the Notification E-mail message format. Only fixed text are only allowed to change. Once the Content value is selected, the Designer icons grey out.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Notifications 2012 Email Acknowledgment System

To have an email acknowledgement system where recipients can reply to the email and have the notification acknowledged

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Change Event Frame Analysis Category of the Specific Element

If I have an element template with event frame analyses and notifications, I might want to change the event frame analysis category of a specific element. I thought this could be done by selecting “Allow Extensions” for the element template, but I can’t seem to change the analyses category or notification category for a specific element even when I allow extensions. From a management standpoint it would be nice to filter on these categories to turn on/off specific analyses and notifications.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PI Notifications REST endpoint message formats more customizable

As a user, I would like to have more customization over the message formats of REST endpoints by being able to use substitution parameters.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Setting to send email notification to all subscribers on one email

I believe this has been requested before by someone but I can't find it so I am submitting a new feedback/request. It would be very useful if there was a setting for PI Notifications that would allow for sending emails to all subscribers on a notification rule in a single email instead of sending individual emails to each subscriber. For example, if there was a setting that would allow sending one email for a notification rule with all subscribers on the "TO" line that would allow users on the email notification to see who else received the alert and provide…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow multiple Notification Message Formats for the same Notification

For Notifications which send on Event Start and Event End, it would be useful to have the ability to have multiple Message Formats for the same Notification (one to send out at start, one to send out at end).

Advantages:
    -Can include "End Time" in only the Notification sent at end (rather than showing an erroneous 1/1/1970 00:00:00 included in the Notification sent at start)
    -Can include "Duration" in only the Notification sent at end
    -Can fully customize different messages for start and end of the Event Frame

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Access to Analysis Variable Values in Notification Rules

I tried to look but didn't see this requested. It would be very useful if the values of the variable(s) created in an Analysis could be accessed from the Manage Formats page of a Notification Rule. I know you can create output attribute and map the output of an Analysis to an attribute, then reference that from the Manage Formats page. However it would be much better if any variable created in the Analysis that is tied to the Notification Rule could be accessed when creating the email format. This would provide an easy way to for example create a…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Global Resend and Non-Repetition Interval setting

It would be nice to have the possibility of setting a global resend and non-repetition interval.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Patch the persistent Test Send window outside of PI System Explorer

From tech support case 00602329:

In PI System Explorer, click on an element that has notification rules set up. Go to the Notification Rules tab, select a notification rule, click on Manage Formats, and click on Test Send. Enter an email address and click on Test Send. While the button still says "Testing", switch to another window. When the send is complete, the Test Send window will appear overtop of the window that you switched to. The only way to make it go away is to switch back to the PI System Explorer window.

This situation came up when I…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include Creation date in event frame properties for Notifications

We see issues where notifications appear to be delivered late but then find the event frame was created at a later time than the actual event because of connectivity issues. Having the creation date of the event frame exposed for a notification would be helpful in informing of such issues.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Notification Display of the target attribute using any UOM

We default Element Templates to SI Units as standard, which makes sense, but we have Sites that are Imperial and Sites that are metric. This extends to certain department (wells, for example) using different units of measure to the default.
    I need to be able to send notifications to some people in a unit of measure that is not the template default (i.e. imperial), but there is no ability to do this without making duplicate attributes with different default UOM's.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. delivery endpoint

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Omit the predefined comment "Notifcation sent to 1 subscriber" in an event

Is it possible to omit the predefined comment/annotation "Notifcation sent to 1 subscriber" in an event?
    We want to send notifcations but these related comments in all events are undesirable.
    We want the operation staff to comment every event and then we want to evaluate the events and comments in excel or have a look at the comments in PI Vision.
    And there it's unconvenient if in front of every user comment is an unwanted Notification info which make sorting and getting a quick overview difficult.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED