PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Order by name (alphanumerically) the Analysis in the Management tab in PI System Explorer

I would like to be able to order by name (alphanumerically) the Analysis in the Management tab in PI System Explorer after retrieving a list of analyses through a search/filtering. This could be done by clicking on the Name column.

20 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow changes to pitimeout table (tuning parameters) to be audited

I can be helpful when tracking down issues or troubleshooting past events what the values of tuning parameters were at a given time. Adding the ability to Audit this table would allow retrospective insight into tuning parameter configurations.

A similar enhancement specifically regarding Auditing can be found here:
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/18740068-track-if-auditing-was-turned-off

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Auditviewer App Suggestion

I want the ability to determine what PI System Configuration Changes (AF & PI Data Archive) are legitimate and approved, with the criteria of being able to focus on changes that occurred during a user defined time range. I want to minimize the time it takes to confirm that changes were appropriate with the ability to focus on certain tags/af attributes and/or time for the change.

I want the ability to associate a change control record to PI System Configuration Changes.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Track if auditing was turned off

I want the ability to track if auditing was turned off for the PI System (PI Data Archive and AF) so that I can determine if there was the risk of potential changes that were not captured by PI System audit functions.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search Mappings and Trusts in SMT

We have hundreds of mappings/trusts in SMT and there's no way to search them (apart from exporting it all to Excel, and searching there, then going back to SMT to make necessary changes - not user friendly). There needs to be a basic search bar at the top of that panel, and it should search all fields (except server and collective) in whatever tab has focus (mappings or trusts). 

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Native configuration promotion from test to production servers

As a PI Administrator with a test PI Server, I need to be able to easily promote configurations from our test environment to our production environment. Currently this is extremely difficult and a very manual process.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide "Point Last Accessed" information to determine clients' use of PI Points

It would be useful to be able to determine when (or even if) a PI Point was last accessed by a client application to retrieve its data.  This would enable redundant points to be identified and removed.

Alternatively/additionally some form of access tracing such as used to be provided by the AAG tool would be useful to determine which clients access which points.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is the type of functionality that makes sense to add into the PI System Manageability portal that we are starting work/research on now. Although it is not an imminent release, understanding these use cases, and how often customers want to do this type of filtering will help us prioritize this feature implementation.

9. Avoid naming SQL management scripts Go.bat

It is possible to name these files more specifically to convey what to expect when running them:
    Example 1: AF_SQL_295.bat
    Example 2: AF_SQL_290.bat
    Example 3: Vision_SQL_320.bat

Currently a single name of Go.bat is assigned to SQL management scripts associated with many products with many versions.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to use templates from a different database

On the AF server we have things structured in different databases. When working in a database it would be great if I could use a database template (e.g. element template) from a different database. In some cases these templates are valid for both databases and I don't want to copy them when they are changed.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PI System Management Tools (SMT) as a web application

Please consider creating a web application like PI Vision Admin, PI Web API Search, PI Manual Logger for Web, and the various integrators, but for PI System Managment Tools (SMT).  I would prefer this to the client-server design now.  It would make version management, software dependency management, upgrading, firewall/network-services management, etc. easier.  This would obviate the need to re-package the OSIsoft installers in whatever software package management software an organization uses.  Another solution would be to use the Windows 10 application store.  However, that wouldn't mesh well with using Cloud IaaS services.  OSIsoft could even offer this new SMT Web…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow PI Points to use the UOM database in PI AF

The Engineering Unit attribute of PI Points does not offer the same robustness as UOMs, which are only available in PI AF. Also, the user must set both the PI Point Engineering Unit and the element attribute UOM manually and separately, which is redundant.

Please implement a way for PI Points to use the UOM database. This way, the user only needs to set the PI Point's UOM attribute once. Then element attributes in PI AF can automatically inherit the PI Point's UOM.

This would also mean that the UOM database would have to be "detachable" from the rest of…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Suppress [-15011] PIvalue Type is Not Numeric

An option to suppress "[-15011] PIvalue Type is Not Numeric" when there is a non-numeric OOO event (e.g. string or digital value) between the pibufss last compressed event and snapshot event. While these messages are only informational they can quickly fill up message logs.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Progress Bar for deleting large volumes of data in SMT->Archive editor.

Progress bar for SMT->Archive Editor when deleting large volume of data.

Currently, when deleting around 30,000 events it takes approx 20 mins and the GUI appears to hang and become unresponsive (it is actually working). A progress bar would alleviate this concern.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a "save changes" warning to the SMT Point Builder

In the Point Builder, if the user makes a change to one tag and they click on a different tag, ask them if they want to save/discard changes.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. ICU startup on high latency networks

On high latency networks, it can take ICU many minutes to start because every interface on the PI Data Archive is checked. Minimize startup time by caching a node's registered interfaces.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow import of PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups similar to the functionality present for the PI Mappings and PI Trust table.

As a PI system administrator, I would like the ability to import PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups via SMT because I need an easy way to push changes in the security configuration on my development nodes to my production nodes.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pre-installation system wide compatibility check

As a system administrator, I would like a comprehensive tool to validate system and version compatibility across my entire PI system.  When performing upgrades / adding components to my PI infrastructure, it takes considerable time to comb through the installation guides and manually compare prerequisites to determine the impact a software change will have on the system. 

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Prevent piarchss from logging messages about overflow record insertion

When backfilling historical data, piarchss logs messages like this one:
    Inserting overflow record 4035947. Point: 41455, archive start: 4-Jan-17 20:34:10, first event time: 25-Jan-17 09:49:00, record event count: 100, overflow count: 98

When a large amount of data is backfilled, the large number of such messages makes searching more difficult and may alter performance.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show Connectors list along with Interfaces in SMT

Show the list of connectors(SMT->Interface List) along with the list of interfaces associated with the Data Archive.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED