PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Track if auditing was turned off

I want the ability to track if auditing was turned off for the PI System (PI Data Archive and AF) so that I can determine if there was the risk of potential changes that were not captured by PI System audit functions.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How would you like to track this information? For example, is it sufficient to be a message in a log file, a performance counter? Do you want to maintain the history of all the changes you want on this flag? This will help us understand how to implement it.

2. Allow changes to pitimeout table (tuning parameters) to be audited

I can be helpful when tracking down issues or troubleshooting past events what the values of tuning parameters were at a given time. Adding the ability to Audit this table would allow retrospective insight into tuning parameter configurations.

A similar enhancement specifically regarding Auditing can be found here:
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/18740068-track-if-auditing-was-turned-off

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Auditviewer App Suggestion

I want the ability to determine what PI System Configuration Changes (AF & PI Data Archive) are legitimate and approved, with the criteria of being able to focus on changes that occurred during a user defined time range. I want to minimize the time it takes to confirm that changes were appropriate with the ability to focus on certain tags/af attributes and/or time for the change.

I want the ability to associate a change control record to PI System Configuration Changes.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Native configuration promotion from test to production servers

As a PI Administrator with a test PI Server, I need to be able to easily promote configurations from our test environment to our production environment. Currently this is extremely difficult and a very manual process.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have de-prioritized this work in order to focus our efforts in other areas. This will remain in our longer term backlog. Please continue to provide your feedback to help us continually re-validate and re-prioritize our backlog.

6. 8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Skip Numbers in Digital State / Digital Set

There are other similar ideas out there on this site but I would like to see the ability to skip numbers in the Digital States Enumeration. We have areas of the plant that have states which don't map well to a 1,2,3.... set of states. Some are bit settings and others are just high numbers. Let users skip numbers and enter what they want (100,200,300, etc.) Numbers that aren't defined will be filled in by the system as "undefined" or something similar when shown in vision. It's difficult to create a set with 250 values and doesn't need to require…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow PI Buffer Subsystem (pibufss) to be managed by Powershell tools for the PI System

Powershell is a convenient way to administer a PI Server. One limitation, however, is that there is no built-in functionality for administering pibufss with powershell. Please add PI Buffer Subsystem (pibufss) management to Powershell tools for the PI System.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. MarkArchiveGaps tuning parameter description should be more descriptive

The description for the MarkArchiveGaps tuning parameter for a value of 2 is unclear.

A user might interpret:
    2 - Gap markers only when there is an actual gap between two consecutive archives.

to mean that markers are shown when a tag does not have a value for two consecutive archives. However, it means that markers are shown if a time/archive gap exists between two consecutive registered archives.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove the PI Interface Configuration Utility (PI ICU) from the PI System Management Tools (PI SMT) install kit

PI System Management Tools is more of a client-side program, so it does not make sense for it to be packaged with a server-side program like the PI Interface Configuration Utility. This increases the size of the install kit, increases the extraction and installation time, and leaves the user with lots of junk programs that they are not sure if they can safely uninstall (PI Interface Configuration Utility, PI Buffer Subsystem, PI Spt DLL, PIGenericNames DLL).

Please remove anything specific to the PI Interface Configuration Utility from the PI System Management Tools install kit. Also grey out "Interface Configuration Utility"…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pre-installation system wide compatibility check

As a system administrator, I would like a comprehensive tool to validate system and version compatibility across my entire PI system.  When performing upgrades / adding components to my PI infrastructure, it takes considerable time to comb through the installation guides and manually compare prerequisites to determine the impact a software change will have on the system. 

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Dynamic inventory of PI System components

Provide a way to have an online, dynamic inventory of installed PI System components, especially interfaces.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Sizing sheet should include at least minimal support for AF Audit Trail

Currently there is not a single hint nor guidance on the impact of the Audit Trail in the sizing sheet, while the Audit Trail can have a major impact on the storage requirements.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. in point builder remove the ability to delete pi point on right click.

Remove the ability to delete pi point on right click in PI SMT Point Builder
    Put this function elsewhere

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Align the Archive_AutoArchiveSize and Minimum Archive Size to be based on Tag Count, not Record Number Count

Schedule data archive shifts occur and create archive files based upon a Minimum Archive Size calculation. This calculation is based upon the total count of record numbers. When large amounts of tags are deleted, the total number of tags is reduced but the record number count remains the same...thus creating a huge discrepancy between the two counts.

The minimum archive file size is based on total record numbers. Thus, if you delete a large number of tags (e.g. Reduce a 5M tags system down to 1M tags after splitting a collective into multiple collectives)....then the system will artificially create very…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Warn the user of unsaved changes in the Archive Editor

Currently, unsaved changes in the Archive Editor are silently discarded if the user refreshes the tab, closes the tab, performs a new search in the same tab, or exits PI System Management Tools. Please instead warn the user of their unsaved changes by displaying a window that contains the "Discard Changes" and "Cancel" buttons.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. By default, do not install the PI Module Database Builder when the PI System Management Tools install kit is run

Similar to how the PI DataLink install kit includes PI DataLink (Legacy) but requires manual modification to setup.ini in order to install it, the PI Module Database Builder should continue to be included in the PI System Management Tools install kit but should not be installed by default. This will make it clearer to users that the PI Module Database is deprecated and it will declutter the list of installed programs for users that never used the PI Module Database Builder.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support for Windows event logging

As a system administrator, I need to integrate PI System logging into my SEIM, so that I can manage PI System events consistent with other applications in a centrally managed system.

Most PI System applications leverage the Applications and Services Logs in the Windows event logs. As the built-in logging mechanism for the Windows platform, there are a number of forwarding, aggregation, and management options for the Windows event logs. The PI Data Archive logs to the Windows Application event logs as a fallback if the PI Message subsystem is unavailable, but some of the metadata for the events is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This appears to be a bug rather than a new idea. In researching our backlog, some work was done in this area with the BufSS 4.3 or 4.4 version that should’ve corrected this problem.

Please contact tech support so we can further identify the issue.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED