PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Offer extended support for PI ProcessBook for security updates only past 2022

As other vendors do, offer customers the option to purchase extended support for PI ProcessBook for security updates only past 2022 for at least one year, and reevaluate annually based on number of customers interested.

This would only apply to security-related fixes, not enhancement or other functionality updates.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make a way to know the statistic of use of every PI TAG in Data Archive

When you have thousands of tags in your Data Archive, you need to know wich tags are beign used and witch don't. It would be very usefull to have some diagnostic that shows wich tags are being cosumed more and from wich client.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include AFDiag /AddIdentity functionality to PSE

Adding an identity to an established large system can cause a flood of change records, leading to performance issues.

The AFDiag /AddIdentity feature will bypass this issue, but it would be more convenient to have this functionality included in PSE.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide 'GoTo' like Funciton

Please provide a 'GoTo' like Funciton for Analysis Expressions to skip expressions or maybe even go back to a previous Expression.
    I realize you don't have line numbers per se, but if the Expressions operate in order, could you use the Variable Name?
    This would be extremely useful for skipping a block of code under certain scenarios where it's just too difficult for a mile long nested if/then.
    @ Kevin G., don't decline this, vote for it ;)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide a means to parse/extract data from the response received by PI Notifications after sending a notification to a web service endpoint

A web service endpoint, for instance ServiceNow, may response with useful information to a notificate, like a ticket number. There should be a way to associate that information with the event frame that triggered the notification.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow nested attribute references for String Builder Data References

As a PI System Admin, I would like to reference an attribute value as part of my attribute data references for a String Builder data reference. For example, suppose I have a parent asset 'Parent' with an attribute of 'XD5' and a child element 'Child' with an attribute 'ID' with a value of '5'. It is currently not possible to build an attribute with a String Builder data reference at the 'Child' level that both:
    1. Builds an attribute reference string by referencing the value of an attribute at the current asset level (e.g. 'ID')
    Then retrieves the value of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. PI Analysis Service should pick up change in Cache Refresh Interval of AF Tables

It would be nice if the PI Analysis Service could pick up a change in the Cache Refresh Interval of any AF Table being referenced by input attributes with a table lookup data reference. Currently, a service restart is required.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Abililty to minimise Preview result window

When you develop an expression it is very useful to use the preview function. Quite often you can discover and debug directly from this, but you are not abel to close down the window and check the code!
    So either you memorise or you export the csv file ... which is quite cumbersom.
    I suggest that you are allowed to minimse the preview window to revise your code so you can easily crosschek your findings. This small change would speed up development .

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include usernames in pidiag -xa export of PI Archive audit trail

As a PI Administrator in a regulated environment, it would be helpful if the Archive audit trail data exported by the pidiag -xa command included the username associated with each action. Currently, the pidiag -xa exports of archive audit logs do not include the associated username for archive edit operations.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. More flexible search results for PI Builder

Allow users more selection of which columns to include in search results (before tag selection). Some customers may wish to reference tag metadata that cannot currently be displayed, including InstrumentTag and UserInt1.

Note that this is not referring to the information PI Builder puts into an Excel file, but the results of the tag search before even selecting which metadata for each tag to include in the Excel export.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Auto Archive Management - Shift vs. Delete

Currently, there are two methods to 'shift' archives:
    1. "ArchiveAutoArchiveFileRoot" set to blank
    2. "Archive
    OverwriteDataOnAutoShiftFailure" enabled
    Neither method shifts to dynamic archives. We have three sites that merged PI servers, thus half our archives are merged and dynamic. this negates any automated form of archive management.
    I suspect the two shift methods came about thru an evolution, but there should be a way to 'rotate' thru all archive types so that we don't need to manually manage archives, mess with additional drives, etc.
    What about a new tuning parameter?: 'Archive_DeleteOldestOnAutoShift'
    We are only required to keep 'x' number…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to automatically create children and grand children when creating elements from a template that has them

I have a template Vessel Mobile and also Templates Vessel Processvalues and Vessel Setpoins. I already created Refrence Typse, so a Template Vessel Processvalues is a child of a Vessel Mobile.

But when i add a Element based on my Template Vessel Mobile, only the Element Vessel mobile is created - i miss the child templates "vessel Processvalues" and Vessel Setpoints":

Of course i can add these Elements manually

but i search for an automatic way. So i only include my Element based on vessel mobile and the child templates for process values and setpoints are added without doing it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Prioritize Recalculation of Analyses acting as Inputs into other Analyses (Daisy Chains)

During bulk recalculation or backfill, enhance the PI Asset Analytics engine to prioritize the calculation of analyses that act as inputs into higher level "daisy" chain analyses. This would address performance issues at large scale, as described in Known Issue "Autobackfilling or recalculating a large number of analyses with dependencies can be slow"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Event Frame Re-capture/Backfill Option to Save Annotations/Reasons

When a backfill or "recapture events" option is selected for Event Frames, give the user an option to "Save Annotations" for that specific event frame. Right now, we use Event Frames to copy in Reason Codes and Comments (that are logged as annotations) so we are limited in backfill or recapturing the data if historical data changes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Outputs at close available for all generation modes

‘Outputs at close’ is very powerful and flexible. It allows one to use expression analysis syntax in event frames. Unfortunately, it is only available for generation mode 'explicit trigger', but not for 'pulse', 'step', or 'step continuous'.

If you want e.g. a new event frame started every time a value of an input tag changes (and closed again when it changes again), generation mode step continuous is what you need.
    In that case it would be very helpful to also be able to use outputs at close.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PI Data Archive - import tags and merge historic archives together

As a customer who is moving their PI Data Archive historic data to a Centralized IT Facility, hosting another PI Data Archive, and that would like to import tags and historic data from another PI Data Archive, it would be great to have a functionality on PI Archive Subsystem and PI System Management Tools that allow to import PI Points and their historic data to the centralized PI Data Archive without having to perform all the steps for the Merge procedure.

Another option would be to have an improved PI Base, Snapshot and Archive Subsystem services, that allow to have…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add the ability to specify NULL values in manually created AF Tables

When manually creating an AF Table (i.e., an internal AF table) in PI System Explorer having the ability to specify a NULL value would be beneficial. Not all datasets require a value for each cell and not all tables need to be linked to, or imported from, external systems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Trilinear Interpolation

The ability to utilize three columns as input for interpolation from an AF Lookup Table to determine the result for a fourth column could be beneficial for predictions and analysis.

Currently, only linear and bilinear interpolation is possible from an AF Table Lookup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. AF/Analysis Number Base Conversion Functions

There are no number base conversion functions available in AF Analysis. There are many situations where I need to convert numbers between different 'number bases'. I frequently work with MODBUS devices and there are many times number base conversions are needed to properly get data.

Example: Convert decimal to hex, hex to binary, etc.

I test many of my functions using Excel before implementing them in Analysis. Excel has functions such as HEX2BIN, DEC2HEX, etc. I'm actually surprised that, after many years of AF/Analysis development, these type functions are not available. These are valuable functions that should be implemented.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED