PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Further development of PI AF scripting functions

In many UseCases we need more programability functions in PI. As example loop functions. We like the AF Framework, beacuse if you search in case of a problem you are very fast. But the functionaclity is unfortunatly not very rich.

Please integrate some more functions or integrate NodeJS, Phyton or
    other scripting capabilities

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add support for multiple SortFields in AF Search

Currently, AF search results can only be sorted by a single field. It would be useful to have the capability to specify 2 (or more) SortField values so that the order of results can be guaranteed in the result of a tie.

For example, being able to sort Event Frame Search Results by both StartTime and EndTime.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Improve PI Data Security

The assignment of a PI tag on which the currently logged in user has no authorization as PI point reference to an AF attribute must not (as currently) be possible.
    It is possible to bypass the PI Archive authorization mechanism (point and data security) by using such attributes in AF-Analytics.

The error messages that appear when saving in the System Explorer should not be allowed to be skipped.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Export option to only include objects directly referenced by the export object

Currently the Include All Referenced Objects option propagates down to each referenced object. This can lead to excessively large xml files for the export of a relatively simple object.

For example, exporting an AFEventFrame that references an element several levels deep in the hierarchy will require an export of each element in the path to the referenced element. However, because Include All Referenced Objects is propagated to each of these elements, the entire hierarchy under the root element will be exported along with relevant templates and other objects.

For the sake of performance and efficiency it would be useful to…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to move an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE by right-clicking on the element

When moving an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE using the "Shift key + Drag and Drop" approach, it can cause to create an Element reference if the release of the "Shift key" is done before dropping the element.
    Having the option of right-clicking on the element and select "Move" would eliminate issues with pressing/releasing shift key and dragging/dropping the element and creating Element References by mistake.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ignore errors during server library import

As a PI AF administrator or power user, I would like to be allowed to continue loading content from a server library into a database, even if a UOM conflict is detected.

Upon finding a UOM conflict, the library import feature does not allow me to ignore the error and continue loading the content (screenshot1.png), in contrast with the file import feature (screenshot2.png).

Tech Support case #00957957 concluded that this was not a bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Create substitution parameter for parent of referenced element

I would like to be able to reference the parent of a element reference. As it currently stands, it is only possible to reference the original parent element of an element.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Transfer Saved searches: This option will allow to transfer event frames "saved searches" from one computer to another.

Transfer Saved searches: This option will allow transferring event frames "saved searches" from one computer to another. For customers who have many search criteria, it is time-consuming to rebuild again on another PC.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Sort values numerically/by size when using Time Series Data in PI System Explorer for a numeric attribute value type

Currently when viewing Time Series Data for a numeric attribute value type (e.g Double, Single) in PI System Explorer, sorting the value column will sort the results alphabetically (e.g. 1, 10, 2, 20, 3...) and not by size (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 10, 20). PI System Explorer should be able to sort Time Series Data for a numeric attribute by the size of the value in addition to or instead of the alphabetical order of the values as strings.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make tooltip for output attributes analysis in PI System Explorer readable

When mouseover on a output attribute analysis icon the analysis is displayed in the tooltip on a single line. The analysis will quickly become unreadable.

It would be nice if the analysis could be presented in a readable way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow nested attribute references for String Builder Data References

As a PI System Admin, I would like to reference an attribute value as part of my attribute data references for a String Builder data reference. For example, suppose I have a parent asset 'Parent' with an attribute of 'XD5' and a child element 'Child' with an attribute 'ID' with a value of '5'. It is currently not possible to build an attribute with a String Builder data reference at the 'Child' level that both:
    1. Builds an attribute reference string by referencing the value of an attribute at the current asset level (e.g. 'ID')
    Then retrieves the value of…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow extensions in PI AF Analysis template

Ability to allow extensions in PI AF Analysis template, in order to modify specific element analysis.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option for Calculated Data when selecting "Time Series Data" of an attribute

As a user, I'd like to have a Calculated Data option when i select the Time Series Data of an attribute. This would let me pick out things like 5 minute averages, 1 week range etc etc.
    It would put data in end users hands without having to request it from the engineering team or learning PI Datalink.
    Right now, its only Sampled Data or Archive (Raw) Data available.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Include AFDiag /AddIdentity functionality to PSE

Adding an identity to an established large system can cause a flood of change records, leading to performance issues.

The AFDiag /AddIdentity feature will bypass this issue, but it would be more convenient to have this functionality included in PSE.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Value Retrieval Method should read integer value of Digital tag, not string

If you try to do Value Retrieval Method (like Min) of a Digital type tag, you will get an error saying non-numeric data. AF should be smart enough to realize that the data is actually a set of integers and not try to read the string representation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Validating AF Servers Match

As a PI Admin in a highly regulated environment, I need to demonstrate that the AF Servers in my production and qualification environments are identical.

OSIsoft does not recommend comparing PIFD databases directly, and there are small differences in XML exports (perhaps influenced by which information has been loaded recently).

I would appreciate a tool that I can use to programmatically demonstrate that two AF Servers are functionally identical (that is, they'd provide the same client behavior and the same outputs given the same inputs).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve table lookup to allow both blanks and units

I am trying to pull control limits for many different types of measurements from a single table. Some control limits do not have a high limit and others do not have a low limit but I do not want a blank to be recognized as zero because that is misleading. The only solution I am aware of currently is to assign the values in the table as strings but read them as singles at the attribute. Values that are not a number are then read as "No Data".

Although, this creates another issue in that these strings that are read…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add dynamic number of Attributes in AF Element Template

Currently it is impossible to create AF Element Template that has dynamic number of Attributes. Example scenarios I have been struggling with are focused on monitoring:
    - monitoring many virtual servers with checking available free storage on each disk - each server may have from 2 up to 10 disks
    - monitoring of PI OPC Interfaces - some are single interfaces, some in failover which affects a number of machines, heartbeat points etc.

Alternative solution would be to allow Element Template to be created with a group of sub elements in number depending on certain conditions. For one of my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ensure all AF Attribute types' support Timestamps Updates upon value entry

Currently, when creating an Attribute in PI AF using "String Builder" or "None" Data References, the system does not update the timestamp associated with the attribute's value upon value change. When the end-user looks at the timestamp they see a static value: "1/1/1970 00:00:00" which is not representing the last time when the value has changed and thus very confusing. I believe that every value change should have a timestamp associated with it regardless of the Attribute type.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to automatically create children and grand children when creating elements from a template that has them

I have a template Vessel Mobile and also Templates Vessel Processvalues and Vessel Setpoins. I already created Refrence Typse, so a Template Vessel Processvalues is a child of a Vessel Mobile.

But when i add a Element based on my Template Vessel Mobile, only the Element Vessel mobile is created - i miss the child templates "vessel Processvalues" and Vessel Setpoints":

Of course i can add these Elements manually

but i search for an automatic way. So i only include my Element based on vessel mobile and the child templates for process values and setpoints are added without doing it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED