PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for multiple SortFields in AF Search

Currently, AF search results can only be sorted by a single field. It would be useful to have the capability to specify 2 (or more) SortField values so that the order of results can be guaranteed in the result of a tie.

For example, being able to sort Event Frame Search Results by both StartTime and EndTime.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to move an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE by right-clicking on the element

When moving an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE using the "Shift key + Drag and Drop" approach, it can cause to create an Element reference if the release of the "Shift key" is done before dropping the element.
    Having the option of right-clicking on the element and select "Move" would eliminate issues with pressing/releasing shift key and dragging/dropping the element and creating Element References by mistake.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include AFDiag /AddIdentity functionality to PSE

Adding an identity to an established large system can cause a flood of change records, leading to performance issues.

The AFDiag /AddIdentity feature will bypass this issue, but it would be more convenient to have this functionality included in PSE.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow nested attribute references for String Builder Data References

As a PI System Admin, I would like to reference an attribute value as part of my attribute data references for a String Builder data reference. For example, suppose I have a parent asset 'Parent' with an attribute of 'XD5' and a child element 'Child' with an attribute 'ID' with a value of '5'. It is currently not possible to build an attribute with a String Builder data reference at the 'Child' level that both:
    1. Builds an attribute reference string by referencing the value of an attribute at the current asset level (e.g. 'ID')
    Then retrieves the value of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to automatically create children and grand children when creating elements from a template that has them

I have a template Vessel Mobile and also Templates Vessel Processvalues and Vessel Setpoins. I already created Refrence Typse, so a Template Vessel Processvalues is a child of a Vessel Mobile.

But when i add a Element based on my Template Vessel Mobile, only the Element Vessel mobile is created - i miss the child templates "vessel Processvalues" and Vessel Setpoints":

Of course i can add these Elements manually

but i search for an automatic way. So i only include my Element based on vessel mobile and the child templates for process values and setpoints are added without doing it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add the ability to specify NULL values in manually created AF Tables

When manually creating an AF Table (i.e., an internal AF table) in PI System Explorer having the ability to specify a NULL value would be beneficial. Not all datasets require a value for each cell and not all tables need to be linked to, or imported from, external systems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Multiple AF Attribute reason

Looking for a way to have multiple reason types for AF attributes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Use different Windows account for linked table authentication

As a user, I want to have the option of entering a service account's Windows credentials when authenticating to a Table Connection in PI System Explorer. Currently, the Windows authentication mode only allows impersonation of the user running PI System Explorer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. follow Display Digits on the PSE Pop-up Trends

large value display as 1.23 E+008 format instead of the orginal value in PSE Pop-up Trends

if the trend can follow display digits, it will not show scientific nonations

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Connect PI AF to Industry-standard physical properties databases

Can PI AF be connected to physical properties databases (libraries) such as AIChE Dippr or Aveva Thermo or others in order to programmatically call for physical properties data in realtime. (Centralize calcs in AF)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow AF to use any PI Point metadata (descriptor, UoM, Compression, etc.) as Attributes.

Some metadata can be used in Analyses, which is helpful, but means constantly running an analysis on static data in order to use it at all in AF, which is inefficient, and we have been told to pull in data as a linked table into AF, which seems unnecessary as the data already exists in the PI environment.

Please allow us to pull in metadata as Attributes in AF, which then makes things much easier to view, check for accuracy, and update, using all of the extra capabilities of AF which are much more robust and easier to use than…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Customized PI System Explorer view

Currently PI System Explorer views lots of stuff that is not used by most users (ports, models etc.) also, there are some things that may depend on decisions of particular client - for example, I don't want my users to use Formulas.
    I suggest to provide way to either customise PI System Explorer on each client (choose which part of Explorer is visible, which not - this seems to be a easier way to implement) or move that config to AF server so that every instance of PI System Explorer shows only that content which is allowed on connected AF…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add the ability to display UOMs in different languages in the PI AF Client

Automatically display UOMs in the PI AF client in the language of your choice i.e. not a conversion of units. For example, to change the display of UOMs to Russian instead of English, kg becomes кг, V becomes B.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Colour Data field in AF Attribute

We are creating hundreds of different attributes in AF, mostly based on templates and using these in PIVision.

One thing that is annoying is when you make the PIVision image you have to manually change the colour of the symbol you use/trend you created etc to reflect the medium of the attribute that is used. Sometimes you even have to change the HEX colour code since it does not match the standard colour palette.

What I am suggesting is to have a Colour Datafield in System Explorer for attributes.

Here we can define the colour (via HEX code or another…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to retrieve only all top-level Attributes

In an AF Hierarchy where an element contains dozens of Attributes - each with Child Attributes - I am interested in only bringing back all top-level attributes. The use case is that the top-level attributes may not have any naming convention in common but are all defined as PI tags (Child attributes may or not be PI tags). I would like to just bring back the top-level attributes in PI Builder so I can quickly modify tags en masse.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide Alarm management function

I would like to monitor and manage alerts & events gathered from PI Interface for OPC AE to create a report like Top 10 alarms, Floating Alarm, Operator Alarm, because by default PI System will collect AE as a string and stored it. Should we have any plugin or 3rd party system which integrates with PI System to provide Alarm management function.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Substitution parameter for base template

It would be nice to have a substitution parameter to fetch the name of a base template. There is a substitution parameter to retrieve the name of a template: %Template%, but none to retrieve a parent/base template.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Expose the ExDesc of a PI Point on an AF Attribute.

Expose the ExDesc of a PI Point on an AF Attribute. This would permit to retrieve additional metadata from PI Points that can be used in AF.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Remove the annoying sound when searching for tags in PI System Explorer

When clicking Ctrl - Shift - 8 to bring up the tag search in PSE, you type your tag name to search for, and in most cases click the 'Enter' button after. This will perform the search, but it also responds with an annoying DING sound in Windows. Clicking the "Search" button with the mouse does not produce this sound.

Please remove this sound when hitting 'Enter' after typing your tag to search for!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. AF enumeration sets should support values with the same name

The feature introduced in 2018 SP2 to manually synchronize digital state sets with AF enumeration sets has a limitation where state sets with duplicated names aren't imported correctly into AF. This is due to the current design of AF enumeration sets that don't allow duplicated names for enumeration values. It would be nice if AF enumeration sets supported multiple values with the same name as it is supported in digital state sets in the Data Archive.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED