PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide 'GoTo' like Funciton

Please provide a 'GoTo' like Funciton for Analysis Expressions to skip expressions or maybe even go back to a previous Expression.
    I realize you don't have line numbers per se, but if the Expressions operate in order, could you use the Variable Name?
    This would be extremely useful for skipping a block of code under certain scenarios where it's just too difficult for a mile long nested if/then.
    @ Kevin G., don't decline this, vote for it ;)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PI Analysis Service should pick up change in Cache Refresh Interval of AF Tables

It would be nice if the PI Analysis Service could pick up a change in the Cache Refresh Interval of any AF Table being referenced by input attributes with a table lookup data reference. Currently, a service restart is required.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Abililty to minimise Preview result window

When you develop an expression it is very useful to use the preview function. Quite often you can discover and debug directly from this, but you are not abel to close down the window and check the code!
    So either you memorise or you export the csv file ... which is quite cumbersom.
    I suggest that you are allowed to minimse the preview window to revise your code so you can easily crosschek your findings. This small change would speed up development .

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Prioritize Recalculation of Analyses acting as Inputs into other Analyses (Daisy Chains)

During bulk recalculation or backfill, enhance the PI Asset Analytics engine to prioritize the calculation of analyses that act as inputs into higher level "daisy" chain analyses. This would address performance issues at large scale, as described in Known Issue "Autobackfilling or recalculating a large number of analyses with dependencies can be slow"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Trilinear Interpolation

The ability to utilize three columns as input for interpolation from an AF Lookup Table to determine the result for a fourth column could be beneficial for predictions and analysis.

Currently, only linear and bilinear interpolation is possible from an AF Table Lookup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. AF/Analysis Number Base Conversion Functions

There are no number base conversion functions available in AF Analysis. There are many situations where I need to convert numbers between different 'number bases'. I frequently work with MODBUS devices and there are many times number base conversions are needed to properly get data.

Example: Convert decimal to hex, hex to binary, etc.

I test many of my functions using Excel before implementing them in Analysis. Excel has functions such as HEX2BIN, DEC2HEX, etc. I'm actually surprised that, after many years of AF/Analysis development, these type functions are not available. These are valuable functions that should be implemented.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Function to extract Data Reference Type

We would like to be able to extract the data reference type (PI Point, None, Formula, Table Lookup, etc.) for an attribute using PI Analysis, similar to the TagType function for PI points.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PI Tag Renaming Detection for PI Vision/PE Calculations

When input PI Tags are referenced in PI Vision 2020+ calculations, they do not automatically detect PI Tag name changes. For users with a lot of calculations, this can be extremely problematic in the event of a PI Tag name change. In the event of a name change, the following error is produced: [-12301] Performance Equation parsing error. Possibly updating the PE scheduler to reference the PointID instead would be beneficial.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PSE Analysis Preview Results to indicate the origin of the event times

In PI System Explorer, when using the Preview Results function for analyses, I want the dialog to indicate which of the input attributes the current timestamp originates from.

Example: Two inputs with update frequency 1 min, Input1 without offset and Input2 with offset 00:00:30. In my Preview Results dialog I will see timestamps 12:00:00, 12:00:30, 12:01:00, 12:01:30, etc. for an analysis triggering from these two inputs. When hovering the generated timestamp I want to see if this originates from Input1 or Input2 (or both).

This is, of course, a simplified example, but in the real world I would typically have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve Scalability of PI Analytics

Currently you can only run a single PI Analytics instance at a time. We have two VMs running PI Analytics in a failover situation, but this means that one of the VMs is sitting idle 99% of the time.

We are starting to hit the limits of scaling with analytics falling behind. Ideally, the analytics should be able to run on multiple VMs.

For example, if you have 10 AF Databases and 2 Analytics servers, it should run the analytics for 5 of the databases on each VM. In a failover situation it could send the Analytics for all 10…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Extension of Rollup Scope without Excessive Computational Cost

If something I'll call lists are implemented following the model of categories (that is an element can belong to multiple, arbitrarily named entities) and rollup is extended to allow that as an option in addition to the parent element, this would allow many level rollup without the cost of recursion/tree-walking. A simple utility for list maintenance could be built that could do the recursion if that is viewed to be useful since performance would not be a problem for a one-off operation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Check box option at attributes to handle PI tags that are bad and questionable

This suggestion is on how you manage the input tags into calculation that at some point it returned bad value (like I/O Timeout, Bad Input, Snapfix, etc...) or became questionable. These tags will make your calc at analysis become "Calc Failed". I know that we can use Exit() or NoOutput() function but it's impractical to do this again and again in each statement.

Generally "Calc Failed" can be caused by 2 reason, either the tag is bad or the calc itself cause error. But at least on the PI tags error we can handle at attributes level, and would be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change the default triggering for Analytics from Any Inputs

Leaving the default to Any Inputs for expression analytics can cause some performance issue as a calculation could end up triggering multiple times per second if there are several inputs. Since this is the default, some users may not take the time to evaluate the performance impacts and will leave it to that default configuration. Users should be required to select the input(s) they want for triggering before being able to save the analytics, or at least be warned that Any Inputs could be too expensive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Preserve analysis configuration when switching types

It would be nice if the configuration of an analysis was saved in memory when switching between types (expression, rollup, event frames or SQC). This way if a user accidently changes type, their work would not be lost.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow BadVal to handle 'No Data' when querying before input tag creation

It is currently not possible to use BadVal and if-then-else logic to handle the 'No Data' system digital state which is returned by a formula data reference or analysis data reference attribute when one of the input tags for the calculation was created after the query time.
    The present workaround requires making the analysis store its history and then backfill the data onto that tag, but this consumes a PI Point.
    As a custom application developer, being able to handle this digital state with formula or analysis logic would help me have only good quality data in my calculations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PI Point User Settings in AF Client

The Suggested PI Point Name configuration item in the AF Client should be able to be set on a AF Server basis instead of a User basis, at least as the initial default. There are default parameters we need to enforce from an enterprise/site level but it become unmanageable when the setting is based on user and PC.

Example parameters we would have as a default for all users:
    \%Server%\164-%..\Element%.%Element%.%Attribute%-AFA;descriptor=%Attribute|Description%;exdesc=AFPath:%System%\%Database%\%ElementPath%;ptsecurity=piadmin: A(r,w) | piadmins: A(r,w) | PIWorld: A(r,w);step=0

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PI Integrator for Business Analytics extend the decimal places

Found out that the decimal points is up to 3 decimal only. Can you improve the PI Integrator that has its own decimal places? and also not depending on the AF for adjusting the display digits?

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Analytic Expression Editor window bigger

The editor window for analytics is so small. If you create an analytic variable longer than 5 lines you have to start scrolling.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. analysis template extension

Analysis templates are useless if one need to adapt the analysis for some elements, for example in my case I need to change the "True for" clause in an Event Frame Generation Analysis, but I can't because it is created by a template.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Analysis variable configuration from attribute value

Having the ability to store analysis variable configuration (calculation) in an attribute value would help a lot in creating assets from template that have diverging analysis configuration.

For example, an attribute named attribute1 with a string value type could have the value "if '<attributeN>' = "OPEN" then 1 else 0. Then in the analysis, a variable could be simply configured as 'attribute1' and the configuration of the variable would be resolved and evaluated at runtime.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED