PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a Flag for AFGetTrace to Show Calculation Steps for Analysis Data References

Background:
    Currently, the only why to troubleshoot the analysis service is to set the trace levels through the various config files.  This only works when the analytic engine is being used.  In other words, this only works if the analysis is historizing values or writing to PI Tags.

Analysis Data References are handled by the client and uses the AF SDK to get values from the PI Server and make calculations.   Therefore, an AF SDK Trace is needed to troubleshoot analysis data referenced attributes.

However, the AF SDK Trace only shows the function calls to PI.NET and does not show…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to send a notification without being triggered by an event frame

As a notification user I want to receive a report on daily or weekly basis but I don’t want to store any associated data about it like the event frame information or the notification history since I use event frames for other purposes and I don’t want to clutter my PI system

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to use archived data in Notifications

I am trying to do weekly emails on some PI points.  It would be very nice if I could have both the value at start of event and an archive value based on a specified time stamp. 

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auditviewer App Suggestion

I want the ability to determine what PI System Configuration Changes (AF & PI Data Archive) are legitimate and approved, with the criteria of being able to focus on changes that occurred during a user defined time range. I want to minimize the time it takes to confirm that changes were appropriate with the ability to focus on certain tags/af attributes and/or time for the change.

I want the ability to associate a change control record to PI System Configuration Changes.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Access Tag Properties for Notification Content

As an AF user, I would like to be able to store a tag’s instrument tag value in an attribute so that it can be used in the content of a Notification. For example, notifying someone on data from a PING interface where the instrumenttag property holds the IP Address.

I am able to create an AF analysis to store a tag’s description in an attribute using the TagDesc PE function, but there is no similar PE function to pull in a tag’s instrument tag.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. User-defined functions

Allow arguments/parameters to be passed to variable definitions, effectively creating user-defined functions.

For example, suppose that I want to define the function TagSum, which adds the values at all events in a time range. Then:
    TagSum(tag, start, end) = TagMean(tag, start, end) * EventCount(tag, start, end)
    https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/7591

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Include root cause data into Notifications message

Include event frames root cause data into Notifications message. A customer ask about how to include event frames root cause data into notifications message because he has a notification message generated when an equipment fails but to diagnose the cause of fail he has setup a root cause event frame and he needs to see this root cause data into notifications message.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The current architecture has a 1:1 relationship between the main event frame and the notification rule. The notification rule has no knowledge of the root cause event frame. As a workaround, since the root cause event frame is based on the same EF template as the main EF, you can include additional EF attributes with a time offset as the root cause event frame to capture the information. You can then include these additional attributes in your notification email.

8. Keep escalating Notification until it is acknowledged, even if no longer active

I would like the option to configure a Notification to continue to be escalated until it has been acknowledged, even after the trigger condition has become false and the Notification is no longer active.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have de-prioritized this work in order to focus our efforts in other areas. This will remain in our longer term backlog. Please continue to provide your feedback to help us continually re-validate and re-prioritize our backlog.

10. Aggregate event frames to a time series

As an user, I want to be able to treat event frame like time series data, such as number of active event frames, sum of an attribute, so that I can continuously monitor the evolution of event frames over time.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. As a PI Administrator, we should be able to see which PI mapping was used for a Windows AD user in PI message logs.

Through PI message logs I want to see which PI mapping was used for a Windows AD user, currently only the PI identity associated the windows AD is visible in the Logs. PI mapping information will give us more idea/facts about the particular Windows AD user.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Notification Reporting

With the arrival of AF 2016R2 notifications changed considerably. One of the features "lost" is reporting on notification delivery. You now simply get an annotation that x number of subscribers where notified.

I would like this to be improved to include a notification delivery report. I would suggest implementing this as a sub event frame that contains the list of subscribers, how they where notified (email, webservice, ...) and the status of the delivery.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Native configuration promotion from test to production servers

As a PI Administrator with a test PI Server, I need to be able to easily promote configurations from our test environment to our production environment. Currently this is extremely difficult and a very manual process.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide more granular configuration for default ACLs

As a PI Administrator of a PI System with complex security requirements, I need to set up different default permissions for various users so they can create tags that automatically have the proper security instead of having to rely on a process/procedure to correct security after the tags are built.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Better Error Handling and Reporting

On more than one occasion, have missed several days worth of calculations with no indication of a problem. There were errors in the log, however there is nothing monitoring this log. The analytics service was running, but not actually doing anything. It would be better if the service would shut down, or, have some method of raising an alert.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Auditviewer separation of roles

I want to separate the security roles between 1) the ability to run an Auditviewer report and (potentially) associate a change control record to a configuration change and 2) the PI Admin Role in order to minimize security risk.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Put an Asset into Offline Mode which stops related analyses and notifications

Have a way to manually (or automatically via another calculation/analytic) put the status of an asset/equipment into an offline/maintenance mode that has the effect of turning any analyses and notifications for that asset off.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Under the "Event Frame Search" option, give users more options for triggering on Attribute Values

When setting a notification's trigger criteria and specifying the "Event Frame Search" option, give the user more options for triggering on Attribute Values.

Current options: Equal, Not Equal
    Suggestions: Greater Than, Less Than, Greater Than Or Equal, etc.

Additionally, allow the user to specify AND/OR clauses between multiple Attribute Value triggering criteria. Currently, this seems to be an implicit AND only.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide the ability to have attribute template that can be used in multiple element templates (attribute sets)

As an user I want to be able to configure attribute templates that can be used in multiple element templates, so that I can used common attributes between different templates. For example, create three templates representing 3 different kinds of motor but each template can use an attribute template consisting of input current, input voltage, casing temperature.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PI Data Archive - Data Share - Distributed, Scalable, Load Balanced

OSI should get together and devise a proper data synching mechanism that should guarantee synching archives for all backfilled events and so on.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED