PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. % good property of rollup analyses

As a user, I would like to configure my rollups to display a value only if the quality of my inputs reaches a minimum % good (configurable). Currently, it's not clear which inputs are used in the rollup calculation- even if some inputs have bad values, the rollup calculates and appears normal.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Built-in PI Identities with minimum permissions by default

It currently takes more effort to follow OSIsoft's recommendation of setting minimum permissions for all PI service accounts than it is to use fewer service accounts with more permissions.

To help steer PI administrators in the right direction, please bundle the PI Data Archive with one PI Identity for every non-deprecated PI programs and assign them minimum permissions in the Database Security table by default.

This way, it is easier to simply use the built-in minimum-permission PI Identities than it is to create a new PI Identity that encompasses multiple programs.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Notifications for events in the past

Currently notifications are not triggered (send) by events that are more than 72 hours in the past. For me it is necessary to get notifications from events in the (endless) past. Ideally I would like to configure for each notification separately the time range (from now on backwards) in which the notification should be triggered.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Notifications Time Zone Format

In Notifications 2016 R2, when configuring a custom Date format (via the TimeFormat attribute in the AF Configuration database), I would like an option to have the time zone display as EDT, PST, etc. The only option is to show it as a +/- offset from GMT. You can hardcode the time zone (i.e. MM-dd-yy hh:mm:ss tt EDT), but then it doesn't change based on daylight savings time.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Additional parameters for analysis function "EventFrame"

Currently the analysis function "EventFrame" supports parameters "StartTime", "EndTime" and "Duration".

I would like to see additional parameters "StartTriggerName" and maybe also "StartTriggerExpression".

That could be useful for creating different "Outputs at close" for different start triggers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

StartTriggerName and StartTriggerExpression can be saved to an event frame attributes via the Advanced Event Frame setting dialog box.

It is unclear what you want to do with these two parameters. Can you further clarify?

6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This appears to be a bug rather than a new idea. In researching our backlog, some work was done in this area with the BufSS 4.3 or 4.4 version that should’ve corrected this problem.

Please contact tech support so we can further identify the issue.

7. Extend PI audit trail to include changes made to snapshot using SMT

Using the SMT tool with the PI archive editor you can enter current values using * as time. This enters directly into the snapshot but is not recorded in the audit trail. All changes made should be recorded

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow substitution parameters in attribute template description

As a user, I want to be able to use substitution parameters in attribute template descriptions, so that when elements are created from template, the attribute template description can be substituted with pertinent information.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 116200.

76 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Percentile function

As a user of analyses, I would like to have a Percentile function so that I can filter out atypical events when doing summary calls. The function would look like this: Percentile('attribute', 'timerange', value). This is related to enhancement request WI 44140.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support different data retention policies

As an administrator, I need to ability to configure the life span of my PI data, so that data are kept or deleted accordingly. For example, data that should be deleted based on corporate mandates and data that should be kept forever are handled accordingly.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 25774OSI8.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Possibility to change units of template based attributes

I have template based elements including analysis that can be used for calculations with a variety of units (tonnes, MWh,...). So it would be great to have the possibility to change the units of template based attributes. At the moment they are fixed to the template.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selectable Write Mode for Analyses

As an analysis user I would like to define what should happen if multiple triggers occur with the same timestamp.
    Currently AF analysis are using "Replace" mode when writing to the archive (meaning if multiple triggers have the same timestamp, the last one will overwrite all previous ones). AF SDK supports using "Insert" mode (which allows for multiple values having the same timestamp). I would like to have an option to select the write mode for each analysis.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Remove Templates for Elements in PI System Explorer

Currently, when you remove a template from an Element in PI System Explorer, you'll remove all existing attributes from the Element.

There should be a functionality in PI System Explorer to remove the template without making changes to the attributes for the element.

Currently, the only workaround is to use PI Builder to remove the template without removing the Attributes associated with said Element.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add description to internal AF tables

When defining an internal AF table, i would like to have a description column. That i can use to make the AF model more self-documenting.

Now i need to describe the table and all the columns in the table description which is too limited for tables with many columns

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow PIWorld and piusers to be deleted

Nobody should be using the "PIWorld" PI Identity or the "piusers" PI Group. The most that we can do at the moment is disable them. It would be much better if we can just delete them and never look back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 64-bit Unix time

Consider upgrading from 32-bit Unix time to 64-bit Unix time so that PI can support dates past January 19, 2038. Reasons:

1. This date is fast approaching as a future value. It is only 20 years away.

2. OSIsoft will need time to implement the 64-bit time stamps and convert all existing and supported PI Data Archives to use the 64-bit time stamps. At least a year of time will be used up for leeway.

3. Once 64-bit Unix time is implemented, then OSIsoft can exclude from training presentations the (very high) upper limit of supported time. This gives the user 1 less…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. List Notifications by User

It would be useful to add a feature to list notifications by user. This feature would be helpful in managing the list of notifications as more notifications are created and as users change job roles.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Audit Trail Scope

I am unable to implement Audit Trail due to the performance implications associated with auditing my entire server. Being able to audit very specific attributes, elements, or trees would allow me to take advantage of the Audit Trail feature in a practical way.

I want the ability to audit attribute changes with the following details:
    * old value
    * new value
    * timestamp
    * user

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have implemented additional filtering capability in the AF Audit Trail in recent releases. Please have a look and let us know if it’s sufficient for your needs.

Regarding AF Audit Trail for individual databases, we currently do not have any plans to implement that idea.

20. Support import/export of AF tables in PI Builder

As a user, I want to be able to import/export AF tables using PI Builder, so that I can make changes as needed.

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED