PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show pending changes in the Archive Editor of PI System Management Tools

Currently, there is no visual distinction between:
    • rows that contain no changes,
    • rows that contain unsaved changes, and
    • rows that contain saved changes that have not been processed by the PI Data Archive yet (this happens when you refresh too quickly after saving changes and the refresh does not return your changes).

Please consider adding an extra "Changes" column that indicates what changes the user made (e.g. "Event will be deleted", "Edited value and annotations", "New event", or "Processing…"). Also consider changing the cell/row background colour, font colour, or font formatting (bold, italic, etc.) to reinforce the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable to change the font settings for dynamic content values in Notifications Message Format

customer wants to change the font settings for a dynamic content values in the Notification E-mail message format. Only fixed text are only allowed to change. Once the Content value is selected, the Designer icons grey out.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Omit the predefined comment "Notifcation sent to 1 subscriber" in an event

Is it possible to omit the predefined comment/annotation "Notifcation sent to 1 subscriber" in an event?
    We want to send notifcations but these related comments in all events are undesirable.
    We want the operation staff to comment every event and then we want to evaluate the events and comments in excel or have a look at the comments in PI Vision.
    And there it's unconvenient if in front of every user comment is an unwanted Notification info which make sorting and getting a quick overview difficult.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tool for SQL Security and Consistency Check for the PI AF Server

It is difficult to manage the AF security complexity and ensure proper authorizations so that there are no security holes.  I would like a built-in tool that can go through and check various aspects of AF/PIFD security and integrity and generate a report.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Set the Configuration Item on attribute templates by default and remove when a data reference is added, similar to attributes

Attributes have Configuration Item set by default. If a data reference is added, Configuration Item is removed.

Attribute templates have Configuration Item not set by default. Please change this so that attribute templates are consistent with attributes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Automatic recalculation on template based analysis without automatic recalculation

It should be possible to check "Recalculate analysis for out-of-order input events" if the analysis is based on a template and the re-calculation is not checked in the template.

A change of the output time stamps is already possible.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. If the reference UOM of a UOM changes, relabel the sample conversion immediately

If you add or edit a UOM and change the reference UOM when the method type is "Simple", the sample conversion will not reflect this change unless the factor or the offset is edited.

Instead, the change in the reference UOM should be reflected immediately in the sample conversion.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. If an attribute template changes type from A to B and uses A's default value, then use B's default value

If an attribute template is of data type A and its default value is the default value of data type A, then if we change the attribute template's data type to B, then the attribute template's default value should become the default value of B.

For example, if the last data type that I set on any attribute or attribute template is string, then if I add a new attribute template, it will already be of type string and will have a default value of empty string. This is great.

However, if the last data type that I set on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Dependency between Notifications

It would be nice to have a dependency between Notification in a way that if one Notification is sent other Notifications are not sent.

My use case is this. I have a corporate AF Server that monitors multiple sites. If a site loses power, I would like my subscribers to be notified once of the power outage and not notified for each system and subsystem. This has happen in the past were a power outage caused a few thousand of emails to be sent which bogged down the SMTP server. Instead a simple email notifying the subscribers of the power…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a space before "Template" in the default element template name after using "Convert To Template"

Currently, if you convert an element to a template, the default name of the template is of the form "[Element Name]Template". Please consider changing this to "[Element Name] Template" to increase readability and make the name more consistent with how English (or whatever language) is written.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Compression Standards

The ability to define and rollout compression standards on tags across the enterprise / sites. 

When this information is captured bottom up from sites, bad settings make it difficult to maintain a standard which inhibits cross site data comparisons.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is currently possible by leveraging AF. In AF, you can configure a template with the desired PI Point attribute configurations, then you can exercise the “Create or Update PI Point” option to change the PI Point attribute.

12. Better handling of bulk deletion of open event frames

I have a case with a customer who would like Notifications/Analyses to better handle situations where opened event frames are deleted in bulk. From the case, this process can cause Notifications to get in a bad state and cause a temporary delay in emails being sent out if backfilling is occuring in parallel. Customer would like this process to be improved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Be able to perform silent installs with different silent.ini file path

I have a customer who would like to perform silent installs and be able to specify a different file path for the silent.ini file. Currently the silent installs only work if the unzipped setup kit is all in one folder.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Harmonize Attribute Editor and Attribute Template Editor

Currently Attribute Template Editor and Attribute Editor behave different regarding visualisation of templates when using derived templates.

Attribute Template Editor shows the attributes of the base template only if Group By Template is checked.

Attribute Editor always shows all attributes independent on which template the attributes belong and independent of the group-by-state. When you check Group By Template the templates get visible.

I think it would be a great to see all attributes also in the Attributes Template Editor, independend of the group by state. Maybe all attributes of the base template should be grayed out.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. UOM class properties dimension table

If you double-click on a UOM class, you will see something like the attached picture. I feel that the "Base Units of Measure" list box should be a table with 2 columns: Base Dimension and Exponent. This would eliminate the ugly ^ and align the exponents.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Data Anomaly EF generation

Generation of EF automatically for data anomaly like bad,out of range,flatlines and spikes. A single click option which crerate EF if the data anomly occurs (based on the preset hi, lo limits) .

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option to change (or extend) mail format on element level

For some elements, i would like to add some extra agreement specific text to the notification mail.

There is currently no good method for doing this, since this is locked to the template.

I suggest that which mail goes out to each subscriber could be changed on element level (treat as the value of an attribute).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Users wants to include notification/template/target/target template's category in formatted message

As a user configuring notifications I want to include categories in my formatted message so that I can contextualize the alert based on data already in the system.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. EnableAutoBackFilling for specified AF analyses

Is it possible to enable or disable the parameter EnableAutoBackFilling for different group of Analysis in different database.

The idea is to not have same  parameter EnableAutoBackFilling for all Analysis of all databases on the same AF Server.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add ability to honor archive list file locations when adding new server to PI HA Collective

When adding a new server to a PI HA Collective, all archive files selected to be included in the initialization are copied and registered with the new server in one defined location in collective manager.  This can create more manual work for organizations who wish to have all servers have similar file structures.  If the primary server has archive files registered across multiple locations, these locations should be honored and attempt to move files to these locations first, then if a drive is not available fall back to the default location.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED