PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Event frames start trigger on trigger condition change

I would like to be able to define start trigger that fires a e new event frames only if the start condition changes. I mean:
    - Start trigger: 'Equip Status' = "ON"
    - End trigger: 'Equip rpm' >= 1000
    I would like that the event start is triggered only if the 'Equip Status' changes from OFF to ON (discarding Bad Values).
    This is because when the event ends, the Equip Status is sitll ON and there are lots of false generated events.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow EventFrame analysis to link EventFrame to Primary Parent Element

I want to be able to link an EventFrame to the Primary Parent of the Element the EF analysis is defined on.

E.g. i use a child element to a Unit to contain the logic to detect and generate downtime events. However, i want the downtime event to link to the Unit, and not to the child element.

I typically structure AF hierarchies using S95. I also use 'functionblocks' to add repeated functions to e.g. a Unit Element, using AF Element Templates for the functionblock.These also include EF analysis. This leads to the EF linked to the functionblock Element below…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dialog for configuring notifications

I would be good to have a dialog for configuring notifications setting as it was available in the old notifications version.
    It seems strange to me to change values in the configuration database.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Online Course for PI Notification Rules

I believe the rather complex process of migrating from the legacy version of PI Notifications to PI Notification Rules and the new paradigm of how they operate deserves an online course in how to migrate, set up, configure, test and improve your new PI Notification Rules.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Spelling mistake in Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize's description

In the description of the tuning parameter Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize, "occurs" is misspelled as "occurrs". This misspelling is also followed by a semicolon instead of a period.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Gray out inherited Root Cause Event Frame category

Gray out or remove the inherited Root Cause Event Frame category to avoid having it selected. This will avoid the error "<Event Frame Category> Already Exists"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Button for unchecking all Trigger On attributes when setting up an analysis

When setting up an Analysis in Pi System Explorer as Event Triggered, all attributes will by default be chosen as Trigger on.

Normally, I would only like the analysis to trigger on one input, if there are many attributes deselecting all is time consuming. There are also a bug (that have been reported earlier which selects all inputs when you do changes to the analysis).

It would therefore be nice if an option to Deselect All inputs were made available. An option to select all is already there.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Publish Element Searches Publicly in System Explorer

Ability to 'Publish' Element searches in System Explorer for all users to see. This ability exists now but the search is only available to user who created it.

This would let users create custom element searches within each AF database that could be browsed by any other user (AFSDK, PIwebAPI, etc..) When defining a custom search, the user would have the option to 'Publish Publicly' where it becomes like a pseudo-element with children.

Example: I would like a dynamic element (search) that only contains elements whose Attribute: |Active = True. Since this value changes everyday, I would expect the search…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. troubleshooting AF Analytics with better diagnostics

I'd like better diagnostic information around why event frames are not create by AF Analytics so that my solutions are of high quality and my users have confidence in their EF data.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Easy selection of PI Archives to Backup

Currently, if we want to do a backup of an archive in SMT, we have to tick it. But the customer may has like 500 archives and wants to copy 100 of them. There is currently no friendly-user way to select multiple archives (without unregister them) using strg or shift key (like selecting multiple file on windows)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Archive Reprocessing Backup

The current automated Archive reprocessing creates a backup of the original archive in the archive directory. This can lead to a situation where the archive drive runs out of space.

It would be useful to be able to configure the backup location for the reprocessed archives. This should be a tuning parameter.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display path of element in the PSE

As a user, I would like to be able to easily see the full path of an element in the General tab, and be able to copy this path to my clipboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Better Handling of Similar Asset Templates

There needs to be better ways to create and manage element templates for assets that are similar (but not exactly the same to one another).

For example, reactors might have 50% of attributes consistent across all reactors. 20% of the attributes might be specific to one type of reactor, and another type has other differences. But they are all reactors that are related from a search, analytics, and visualization perspective.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for clipboard "cut" operation in PI System Explorer

As a user, I want to be able to perform clipboard "cut" operations in PI System Explorer, so that I can remove an object and store it in the clipboard for later use.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The “cut” or “move” functionality has not been implemented in PI System Explorer yet, but would be a useful feature. When it is implemented, it will work similar to cut & paste of files in Windows where it will not delete the source until it has been copied to the destination.

15. Add support for using dynamically resolved attributes as inputs for PE and Event Frame Generation analyses

As an analysis user, I would like to be able to specify the path for an AF attribute and use it for my calculation logic at all places that expect an attribute input.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add functionality to tables to make it more dynamic and easier to configure in a format.

As a notification user I want to see a table of all the attributes and its values on the target element in my email, furthermore when I add or remove attributes I want to see it automagically updated in my email without me having to reconfigure the table in my format.  

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide a way to get context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to reference parent element attributes, name, and other context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses, even when it is not known during configuration time what the parent element will be so that I can write better conditionals such as : If ParentElement = “Foo” then ‘..\Foo|attributeFoo’ ELSE ‘..\Bar|attributeBar’

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve usability of configuring AF security using PI System Explorer

As a user, I want to have improved interaction when configuring AF security using PI System Explorer, so that I can make changes to AF security more easily and accurately.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create Analysis and Notifications when limits are set on attributes

As a Notification user I would like a one-click way of configuring a notification on the limits I have set on the attribute so that I spend less time configuring a simple notification such as this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to write data to the Buffer Subystem using the AF SDK when PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up

As an user, I want to be able to write data to the PI Data Archive via the Buffer Subsystem even when the PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up so that my application can continue to run without having to wait for a connection to the PI Data Archive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED