PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide 'GoTo' like Funciton

Please provide a 'GoTo' like Funciton for Analysis Expressions to skip expressions or maybe even go back to a previous Expression.
    I realize you don't have line numbers per se, but if the Expressions operate in order, could you use the Variable Name?
    This would be extremely useful for skipping a block of code under certain scenarios where it's just too difficult for a mile long nested if/then.
    @ Kevin G., don't decline this, vote for it ;)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Provide a means to parse/extract data from the response received by PI Notifications after sending a notification to a web service endpoint

A web service endpoint, for instance ServiceNow, may response with useful information to a notificate, like a ticket number. There should be a way to associate that information with the event frame that triggered the notification.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Display multiple attributes on same graph for Event Frames

We would like to be able to display multiple attributes on the same graph for Event Frames. For example: For a given event frame, I am collecting data associated with ph control. Therefore when looking at graph for a certain event frame I would like to display pH setpoint, and pH.pv on the same graph for multiple batches. Currently event frame graphs are limited to only showing one attribute per graph. This is a feature that processbook handles quite easily, although not using event frames.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add dynamic number of Attributes in AF Element Template

Currently it is impossible to create AF Element Template that has dynamic number of Attributes. Example scenarios I have been struggling with are focused on monitoring:
    - monitoring many virtual servers with checking available free storage on each disk - each server may have from 2 up to 10 disks
    - monitoring of PI OPC Interfaces - some are single interfaces, some in failover which affects a number of machines, heartbeat points etc.

Alternative solution would be to allow Element Template to be created with a group of sub elements in number depending on certain conditions. For one of my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Abililty to minimise Preview result window

When you develop an expression it is very useful to use the preview function. Quite often you can discover and debug directly from this, but you are not abel to close down the window and check the code!
    So either you memorise or you export the csv file ... which is quite cumbersom.
    I suggest that you are allowed to minimse the preview window to revise your code so you can easily crosschek your findings. This small change would speed up development .

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ensure all AF Attribute types' support Timestamps Updates upon value entry

Currently, when creating an Attribute in PI AF using "String Builder" or "None" Data References, the system does not update the timestamp associated with the attribute's value upon value change. When the end-user looks at the timestamp they see a static value: "1/1/1970 00:00:00" which is not representing the last time when the value has changed and thus very confusing. I believe that every value change should have a timestamp associated with it regardless of the Attribute type.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Do not require permission to PIPOINT if the permission is already covered by Point Security or Data Security

https://docs.osisoft.com/bundle/pi-server/page/permissions-required-for-tasks.html

According to the documentation linked above, when permission to Point Security or Data Security is required, the same permission to PIPOINT is also required. This is redundant. The only times that PIPOINT security is used non-redundantly are to determine who has permission to create new PI Points and to assign default permissions to new PI Points. This last point creates a security issue: if a user needs permissions to only a few existing PI Points, then they need the same permissions to PIPOINT, which will give them the same permissions to new PI Points by default.

Please make the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to automatically create children and grand children when creating elements from a template that has them

I have a template Vessel Mobile and also Templates Vessel Processvalues and Vessel Setpoins. I already created Refrence Typse, so a Template Vessel Processvalues is a child of a Vessel Mobile.

But when i add a Element based on my Template Vessel Mobile, only the Element Vessel mobile is created - i miss the child templates "vessel Processvalues" and Vessel Setpoints":

Of course i can add these Elements manually

but i search for an automatic way. So i only include my Element based on vessel mobile and the child templates for process values and setpoints are added without doing it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Include usernames in pidiag -xa export of PI Archive audit trail

As a PI Administrator in a regulated environment, it would be helpful if the Archive audit trail data exported by the pidiag -xa command included the username associated with each action. Currently, the pidiag -xa exports of archive audit logs do not include the associated username for archive edit operations.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Bring "old" data archive into ultra fast and seamless database system

Please do away with archaic pi archive file system with non-seamless begin/end dates to sql that runs on a ultra-powerhouse database server capturing always available, never-ending data.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Function to extract Data Reference Type

We would like to be able to extract the data reference type (PI Point, None, Formula, Table Lookup, etc.) for an attribute using PI Analysis, similar to the TagType function for PI points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. More flexible search results for PI Builder

Allow users more selection of which columns to include in search results (before tag selection). Some customers may wish to reference tag metadata that cannot currently be displayed, including InstrumentTag and UserInt1.

Note that this is not referring to the information PI Builder puts into an Excel file, but the results of the tag search before even selecting which metadata for each tag to include in the Excel export.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Populate KST without Local Admin Privilege

After Microsoft Updates, PI Builder or DataLink users sometimes find that their KST (known servers table) has gone empty. A potential fix is to launch Excel as admin and try to any PI Data Archive in the list.

Under the hood, the KST information would be copied from the HKEYLOCALMACHINE to the HKEYCURRENTUSER branch in the registry.

However, this becomes a maintenance issue for large organizations where users don't typically have local admin permissions. Therefore, we request an alternative for regular users to populate their KST.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. AF/Analysis Number Base Conversion Functions

There are no number base conversion functions available in AF Analysis. There are many situations where I need to convert numbers between different 'number bases'. I frequently work with MODBUS devices and there are many times number base conversions are needed to properly get data.

Example: Convert decimal to hex, hex to binary, etc.

I test many of my functions using Excel before implementing them in Analysis. Excel has functions such as HEX2BIN, DEC2HEX, etc. I'm actually surprised that, after many years of AF/Analysis development, these type functions are not available. These are valuable functions that should be implemented.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. PI Vision install kit should check if there's any conflicting custom symbols before upgrading PI Vision

When custom symbol has same name as default symbols, after the upgrade it will not be visible on the web page. To flag the user, install kit should check and warn if there is any conflicting symbols.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Method to backup and restore PI Points only

The PI backup tools currently do not have a method to backup only the files related to PI Points. The purpose of this would be to refresh the point table on a QA system from a production system. The current PI backup method is all or nothing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Translate the descriptions of functions in PI System Explorer

See the attached picture. The picture also reveals other parts of PI System Explorer that are not translated. The picture and the idea for this suggestion come from https://pisquare.osisoft.com/s/feed/0D58W00006XNrBuSAL.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. PI Data Archive - import tags and merge historic archives together

As a customer who is moving their PI Data Archive historic data to a Centralized IT Facility, hosting another PI Data Archive, and that would like to import tags and historic data from another PI Data Archive, it would be great to have a functionality on PI Archive Subsystem and PI System Management Tools that allow to import PI Points and their historic data to the centralized PI Data Archive without having to perform all the steps for the Merge procedure.

Another option would be to have an improved PI Base, Snapshot and Archive Subsystem services, that allow to have…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Event Frame Re-capture/Backfill Option to Save Annotations/Reasons

When a backfill or "recapture events" option is selected for Event Frames, give the user an option to "Save Annotations" for that specific event frame. Right now, we use Event Frames to copy in Reason Codes and Comments (that are logged as annotations) so we are limited in backfill or recapturing the data if historical data changes.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED