PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Future Plans for Notifications High Availability?

General Query:

What are the future plans for High Availability of PI Notifications.

To my understanding, the only option providing seamless failover is to utilise a Windows Server Failover Cluster, with high performance Shared Storage to hold the Notifications RunTime files.

Are there any plans to make Notifications stateless, and store all data in SQL, where SQL AlwaysOn Availability groups can be utilised?

Feedback much appreciated.

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display XY Plots and Events table data in Notifications embedded PI Vision screenshot

When Notifications e-mails are configured to include a screenshot of a PI Vision display, the screenshot will show blanks where the data should appear. This is due to a limitation of Phantom JS, the browser used to render the screenshots, which does not support Negotiate (Kerberos/NTLM) for authentication. XY Plot and Events table data require Kerberos authentication since they are supplied by PI Web API. This can also happen with other PI Vision symbols if Negotiate is the only provider listed in IIS for Windows authentication.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RecNo object type option on PI Builder

On current PI Builder 2018 there is no option to select the RecNo attribute for a PI point by default.

For instance, this would be helpful to recover deleted points such as we do with piconfig command. I would like to see if it would be possible to include this option on a future version of PI Builder.

Note: I know we can enable the "recno" object type by typing it out on the header as explained on "KB01413 - Importing Attributes for a Given List of Tags Using PI Builder" but it would be good to have this option…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for a search on any attribute

In PI Builder, when searching for tags, there is a limited number of attributes available. Add the ability to select the attribute of choice, such as ExDesc. When trying to find a PE tag that uses a function in question, being able to select ExDesc is important

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PI Builder to Create or Edit Analyses

As a PI Admin would like the ability to create or modify analyses using the PI Builder Excel plug in. Currently results vary and it is not supported by OSIsoft.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The AF 2018 SP2 release provided additional usability improvements such that you can much more easily use PI Builder to create and modify analyses. However, due to the way PI Builder leverages Excel sheets, we have some compromises in how analysis configurations are exposed in the spreadsheet. For example, if you have multiple Variables for an analysis, all the Variables are shown in a single cell in the spreadsheet. As such, my recommendation is for you to first import into PI Builder existing analyses so that you can get a good feel on how analysis configurations are displayed in PI Builder.

6. SUM() Function on PI Analysis Service

As a Plant Supervisor, I would like to have a SUM() function available so I can sum the events stored for a certain tag/attribute over a period of time, because one of my main KPIs is based on a sum like this.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to terminate analyses in Management plugin in PSE

Add a button to terminate improperly executed bulk Analyses in Management. Done this a few times and wasted hours. Stopping the Analysis Service and deleting queued recalcs was not an option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Be able to output point configuration from a list of tags that is already in Excel

For example, after exporting the stale/bad tag list from SMT, use PI Builder to pull out the instrument tag and location 1-5 information to only edit and check the points on that list. Some times, not all points from a point source is having an issue.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This capability is already in the current version of PI Builder (2018 SP2). Here’s what you need to do:

1) Assuming you have the list of PI Points of interest, make sure the first column (Selected(x)) has a “x” in it.
    2) Select the “Headers” icon from the Excel ribbon and choose the tag attributes that you want. In your example, you would choose instrument tag and location 1-5. You should now see new column headings in your spreadsheet.
    3) Select the “Retrieve” icon and instrument tag and location 1-5 would be populated.

9. Make it possible to sync AF enumeration sets to PI digital state sets.

With enumeration sets in AF being similar to Digital State sets in the Data Archive, it would be handy if it was possible to automatically sync enumeration sets to digital state sets. For scenarios that rely heavily on such sets, this would greatly increase their maintainability.

37 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are many potential issues with automatic syncing of PI Digital State Sets with AF Enumeration set. As with all synchronization, there needs to be a master. In addition, a single AF database may have PI Point Data References to multiple PI Data Archives each of which may have PI Digital State Sets that may have the same name, yet they may or may not have the same enumerations. Automatic synchronization also implies that we would keep watch on changes/updates and then make the corresponding changes. There are too many variables and complexities for automatic synchronization.

In PI Server 2018 SP2, we implemented a way to help users configure an AF enumeration set when the user configures a PI Point Data Reference attribute that we know is a digital PI Point. There’s an UI addition to PI System Explorer to help users with this mapping. However, note that this mapping…

10. PI Analysis: Auto-backfill should not skip analyses - ones that hasn't had an new value in a while (72+hrs)

Whenever the PI Analysis Service is restarted, the auto-backfill feature (if enabled) kicks in, and backfills any gaps from the downtime.

However, the analysis service will not auto-backfill analyses that haven't been updated in the last 72 hours. This leads to a potential risk that any analysis that doesn't write data more frequently than every 72 hours, will potentially not auto-backfill upon a restart of the PI Analysis Service.

Although the value of "MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours" can be changed, this is not a suitable solution.

Such analyses (that were not auto-backfilled) can still be backfilled manually, but this presents a manageability problem.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support "abstract" templates in AF

There is a need to create "abstract" element templates in AF, and this has been requested several times.

2012: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/4172
    2014: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/27621#comment-27621
    2017: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/32721-possible-to-define-a-virtual-element-template

An abstract class/template is one that you must create a derived version of yourself, you cannot use it directly. It's a base template, but you want to prevent users from instantiating it directly.

You might implement the general attributes for pumps as an abstract template, but you require users to create a derived template for each pump type they have, and then instantiate an element from that.

41 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. AF Analysis Function to Check for PI Point Existence

As a wide-scale analytics user, I  would like for there to be a function to check  if a PI Point exists. I have an element template that I use to represent a large number of assets. Some of these assets do not have PI-point based attributes that others do. In these cases, the analyses that  reference these attributes will fail because the points do not exist. If there was a way to check for the existence of these points, then I could utilize that in a conditional statement to  allow the analysis to output properly in the case of a…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Stop backfilling / recalculation of analyses

It's great that we have one more option as recalculation other than backfilling in Analyses plugin.

The backfilling / recalculation of analyses is manual process we do, because of delayed data or change of logic of analysis. In this case, sometime it happens that user has defined wrong period or selected wrong analysis while clicking on backfill / recalculate option, and if # of analysis selected are large, then it is quite frustrating to let wrong backfilling/recalculation be completed.

To stop current backfilling / recalculation operation, non-recommended approach is update the RecalculationProcessor.RequestedRecalculations.xml file. Problem with this approach is that end…

35 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Event-Weighted Summary Functions

Allow for Asset Analytics to support event-weighted summary functions (as opposed to time-weighted), such as average and count. This will allow for easily aggregating changes in digital tags, discrete sensor readings (e.g., bucket count), etc. This would allow Asset Analytics to easily perform many of the event-weighted functions of PI Totalizers.

81 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Recipients of Notification able to see all recipients

Everyone who received notification can view other recipients of email notification in "To:" field.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Conditional Exit for Analysis Expressions

Sometime you want to do an analyse only when one or more conditions are true, if the are not true you want to exit the analyse, so steps below the conditional exit are not evaluated/executed. The conditional in Analytics should look like:

if condition = true then exit analyse

At the moment this is only possible with the function NoOutput(), but then the mapped attribute should be connected to an PIPoint and you have to fill in a else condition. All rows below the conditional exit will not be executed.

44 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (tchnical interface) users from being audited

PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (technical interface) users from being audited

Currently the only option for AF Server is to activate or disable audit trail. In our scenario most data is written by interfaces via SDK Calls. This leads to a very large audit trail and to 99% Audit Trail data that is not required (hard to find the human entries).

It would be helpful if a list of users could be configured that will not be audited.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PI AF Audit Trail to include export functionality

As someone with an extremely large Audit Trail, I would like the ability to export this data to a file as the viewer in PSE does not give me enough freedom to consume large quantities of audit data.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow import of PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups similar to the functionality present for the PI Mappings and PI Trust table.

As a PI system administrator, I would like the ability to import PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups via SMT because I need an easy way to push changes in the security configuration on my development nodes to my production nodes.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While the original request was for PI SMT, this capability is now available via PI Builder. With that, I’m going to mark this suggestion as Completed. If for some reason you need this capability specifically in PI SMT, please add your comment.

20. Event Frame summaries

As an user, I want to be able to get summaries of an event frame such as count, total duration, total of event frame attributes so that I can characterize the event.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED