PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Trigger Time

Need a way to utilize the trigger time in analysis functions.

'*' refers to now or snapshot values

Using timestamp('triggered attribute','*') only works if there is only one triggered attribute configured.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delayed Triggers for Analytics

We have some data analyzers in the DCS system that provide results to PI tags in a delayed fashion.

Sample use case:
    (t+0s) valve closes,
    (t+30s) measurement1 sent to the DCS tag m1
    (t+60s) measurement2 sent to the DCS tag m2.

We need to trigger a analysis off of the valve closure, but we need  Sleep(30) command in the analytic, or the ability to set per-analytic delays, so that some are delayed by 30 or 60  seconds.

Or is this possible today by other means?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Select multiple elements in PI System Explore at one time

When trying to move multiple elements to a different location, right now we have to select only one element at one time, we would like to be able to select multiple elements in PSE at one time. For now, we could use PI Builder as alternative.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View AF XML exports in non-installable clients (outside PSE, Vision)

There is no ability to easily expand all of the nodes of an AF element hierarchy and print or export for offline viewing by people who do not have PI System Explorer installed.

So in an attempt to view the element hierarchy outside of System Explorer I export the database, or even small portions of the element hierarchy, to try to view in Tree form in XML viewers such as XSD Diagram and many others, and keep getting the following error: There is an error in XML document (2, 2). <AF xmlns=''> was not expected

We have a large group…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Quick watch" function for analyses

While creating and/or debugging analyses in PI System Explorer, I would like to have available an instant evaluation dialog.

This would be something I can bring up empty, and start typing (if in template, use the context of the currently selected Example Element) to evaluate a formula.

If I right click a formula or expression already placed in a variable I would like to see "Evaluate in Instant Window" or "Evaluate instantly", where the dialog is brought up with that text pre-defined. If the expression you right clicked contains time expressions (such as start time, end time) I would like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Element path to AFUpdatePlugInConfigurations.exe

Currently, AFUpdatePlugInConfigurations.exe will update the Attribute configurations of an entire AF Database as specified in the /Root parameter.  When dealing with large AF Databases where there were only a few changes made, this is an expensive call.  Please modify the /Root parameter so we can specify which Element and whether Child Elements (/IncludeChildern) are included should be in scope of the update.

Example:
    C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\AFUpdatePluginConfigurations.exe "/Root:\AFServer\AFDatabase\ParentElement\ChildElement" /IncludeChildren /CreateConfig

Cheers!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Event Frame Generation - Step Continuous Mode need not be based on Digital State Sets

If there are no zeroth state needed for this type of operation then I don't see the need for the triggering input to be tied to a Digital State Set.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

I I would suggest to configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Analysis - Edit periodic scheduling in bulk

Would be good to have one screen to manage the periodic scheduling for  all analyses in a given AF database.  This way, you can standardize where it makes sense to, and look for outliers (analyses that may have been scheduled incorrectly).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to change notifications in bulk for delivery channel

API Rest delivery channel has one format, it is configured for one template. Customer would like to implement it for all of the templates in bulk.

Two Notification Templates could be linked to two different Analysis Templates that can be linked to two different Event Frame templates. Therefore the options to populate the delivery end point could be different between notification template. SQL stores a GUID in the properties of the delivery format, applying in bulk would also mean copying over GUIDs which would result in the wrong configuration.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shutdown states should not be written into the analysis output PI Point by default

There should be an easy way to change the default value of the shutdown flag for analysis output PI Points. Right now, the default value is True, which means my analysis will show a "Shutdown" value every time I restart my PI Data Archive. The easiest way to modify it right now is in the attribute configuration and we can't easily use PI Builder to modify this parameter.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Create or Update PI Points and Reset to Template

Using PI System Explorer, it is possible to "Create or Update PI Points" in bulk across all elements or branches of elements. However, "Create or Update PI Points" resolves the substitution parameters of PI Point attributes. As a result, if you change the value of a substitution parameter that is used in the PI Point configuration, say %Description% and perform "Create or Update PI Points", the point does not update with the new value. You have to take an extra step and first reset all the PI Point attributes you want to change to the template using PI Builder. It…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Preserve formatting in PI Builder when use Simplified Configuration Strings

If the "Show simplified configuration strings" option is selected in Settings, this removes GUIDS from the output in Excel.

However, this option also removes the linefeeds in any formatted Analyses. If reloaded then this can corrupt the analyses - especially if comments are used.

Please add an option to remove GUIDS but preserve formatting.

@OSIsoft: Refer to TechSupport case 929964 for information.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide AF Analysis Function for Element Unit

There is a function in AF named TagEU(). This function returns the EU of the PI Tag, NOT the EU of the element. This presents problems in analysis if the Units in PI are not spelled the same as they are in AF or if the unit in AF different than the PI Tag.

Please add a function ElementEU() which returns the EU of the element. It should use the same EU from the element that Convert() uses.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. too many UOM Classes

it becomes increasingly difficult/unreasonable to keep adding more and more UOM classes when a large majority of them only contain one or two UOM's. The list of UOM classes is getting quite large. It would be more helpful to have another choice for UOM's that are needed but will not necessarily be used for any conversions.

One possible idea being a UOM class that can be marked/forced to be unconvertable . . . a Misc. UOM Class.

pH is a good example of a UOM class that has to be created that for all practical purposes only has one UOM…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We strive to provide a basic set of UOM classes that we felt would be useful for our general customer base. We also understand that each user has different needs, which is why users can provide their onw UOM class based on their needs. This request seems to fit that model in that you can add a UOM class for your specific needs.

19. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Wave Form Data Collection

A few customers would like the capability of storing vibration wave form data in PI. They often measure data in MHz and GHz frequencies, which are at a finer resolution that the PI Data Archive is capable of storing. The wave forms are captured over periods from 2 to 30 seconds and only saved if there is an interesting event.

Customers in data centers are also requesting power quality wave form storage in PI.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED