PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PI Builder to Create or Edit Analyses

As a PI Admin would like the ability to create or modify analyses using the PI Builder Excel plug in. Currently results vary and it is not supported by OSIsoft.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include Creation date in event frame properties for Notifications

We see issues where notifications appear to be delivered late but then find the event frame was created at a later time than the actual event because of connectivity issues. Having the creation date of the event frame exposed for a notification would be helpful in informing of such issues.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Optimize SID resolution when viewing mappings in PI System Explorer

In PI System Explorer → File → Server Properties, the Mappings tab loads much more slowly than the other tabs when you have a slow connection to the PI servers and the domain controller.

In tech support case 00589952, I found that the loading time of the Mappings tab was roughly the same as the total time from running the "net user /domain" command for each mapping. This 1-by-1 approach is not efficient. Note that in my case, I had a mix of local accounts on the PI AF server and AD accounts.

Please consider some of the following optimizations: …

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Exclude analysis output attributes when the analysis is suspended

When the PI Analysis service determines an Analysis should be Suspended, it should also set any output Attributes to be Excluded. As the Analysis is Suspended, it will not output any results and if it has always been Suspended, the output Tags will never get created. Excluding the output Attributes will keep the Element looking clean and also allow dependent Analyses to go into a Suspended state instead of throwing an error when they can't find the Tags. Similarly it will prevent other applications (OSIsoft and third parties) from querying the Attributes and also throwing errors, causing performance issues.

Automatically…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. List client connections made to a specific AF database

We can easily see client connections made to an AF Server using the Connections tab in AF Server Properties. It would be nice to have a similar functionality for databases so we can see how much traffic each database gets.

Useful in the event a customer needs to evaluate which databases are worth keeping during a server clean-up (see support case 592366)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to generate Event Frame on invalid data reference

I would like to build an analysis that generates an event frame when one of the referenced PI points is unavailable - i.e. the point does not exist, permissions are missing, or the Data Archive server is unavailable.

Currently when these conditions occur, the analysis will go into an error condition, but there is no way I can be notified of the situation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Notification Display of the target attribute using any UOM

We default Element Templates to SI Units as standard, which makes sense, but we have Sites that are Imperial and Sites that are metric. This extends to certain department (wells, for example) using different units of measure to the default.
    I need to be able to send notifications to some people in a unit of measure that is not the template default (i.e. imperial), but there is no ability to do this without making duplicate attributes with different default UOM's.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Write a description for the PI Data Archive services

When you open the Services program (services.msc), none of the PI Data Archive services have a description. Please provide descriptions for these. The specific services are:
    • PI Archive Subsystem
    • PI Backup Subsystem
    • PI Base Subsystem
    • PI Buffer Subsystem
    • PI License Manager
    • PI Message Subsystem
    • PI Network Manager
    • PI Shutdown Subsystem
    • PI Snapshot Subsystem
    • PI SQL Subsystem
    • PI Update Manager

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to embed substitution parameters

I would like the ability to embed a substitution parameter within another substitution parameter.
    For example, in the following Configuration String:

\\%Server%\%@|<Attribute Name>|TagName%

I would like to replace <Attribute Name> with a substitution parameter

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow modification of System Enumeration Type

Although it is not advisable to modify the "System" digital state on a PI Server it is permissable as per the documentation on a "Minimal" basis.

In AF the matching "System" Enumeration set is "hard coded" and allows no modification at all.

This provides not only an inconsistancy in approach from OSIsoft, but also an Inconsistancy in values received from AF and from PI when the "System" digital state has been modified.

These inconsistancies leed to people questioning the validity of the data and the products being used to display it.

The "System" enumeration should be held in the AFEnumeraiton…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to reconcile templates during xml import

Suppose the following scenario: a user has 2 AF databases (a development and a production one), both containing same version of a template. The user deletes a few attributes and analyses from one element template (development), exports the xml and imports the same xml file into the production database. Today, the template in the production server remains unchanged, forcing the user to manually delete the attributes and analyses from production database (using either PI Builder or PSE).

The "import xml" function present in PI System Explorer should contain an option to allow users to reconcile templates, when importing a template…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    So what would be the expected behavior if elements have already been created from the template? It would then be possible to have deletion of data upon an import of a template. What if there are overridden template attributes? What would be the expected behavior if the imported template affects these overridden template attributes?

12. In future releases of PI Server, provide an installer that does not install itself in Windows Programs & Features.

Regulations and rules require pre-installation approval and documentation of all programs installed on a machine. Please provide an installer or a method of installation that prevents the installer from appearing in Programs & Features.

Furthermore, always provide a comprehensive, detailed list of programs that will be/can be installed in each installation kit.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to save EF output with StartTime timestamp

Currently, Event Frame outputs are saved with the EF End Time timestamp. It would be interesting to use the StartTime instead.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sizing sheet should include at least minimal support for AF Audit Trail

Currently there is not a single hint nor guidance on the impact of the Audit Trail in the sizing sheet, while the Audit Trail can have a major impact on the storage requirements.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I would like the ability to move searches defined on the PSE management tag from computer to computer

I have created numerous searches on the management tab of the PSE, but if changing computers or even sharing the searches between workers you currently have to recreate the searches on each computer. Not sure where these are stored currently, but a way to import/export the searches would be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Send notification to additional persons based on change in severity

A way to configure a notification rule to send to additional contacts when the severity status changes without creating a new analysis.

Customer use case:
    Customer wants to scan devices. If a device fails to respond (I/O Timeout) over a short period of time, the event frame Severity is set to Warning and a notification is sent to IT. If the device remains offline for an extended period of time a child event frame is created and severity changes to major. When this occurs the customer would like additional people to be notified so they can go investigate the issue.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Table Lookup to Return Multiple Rows in an Array Attribute

As AF supports Attributes with a Value Type of Array, it would be useful if the Table Lookup Data Reference could return multiple rows from a Table, rather than just the first row or a summary.

0 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

I I would suggest to configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED