PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Analysis Preview Results - Automatically scroll to result row

After generating "Preview Results" (from right mouse click on analysis name on PSE Analysis Templates tab) it would be nice if the upper results table would auto scroll to the related time value when using the trend cursor to click on the results graph.
    In the attached image, arrow #1 shows the click point with the trend cursor. Arrow #2 shows the time stamp that I would like to see the above table auto scroll to. This would save time having to drag the scroll bar to guess where the value is in the table result set.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Analysis service should not close opened EF when last evaluation time is exceeds MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours

As PI server administrator I would like that when the Analysis service is restarted with autobackfilling enabled, if there are any EF analysis where last evaluation time is older than *-MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours, EFs that are opened do not close. Currently they are closed with following message:

Event frame was closed by the analysis service during auto-backfilling. Analysis service was down for more than 03:00:00

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve PI Analysis Service Performance for Non-Templatized Analyses

Instead of putting all non-templatized analyses in one group for evaluation, the PI Analysis Service should divide them up automatically according to some criteria. The goals would be:
    1) Eliminate the need for many "one-off" templates that cause visual clutter in the Library
    2) One expensive non-templatized analysis would not delay all non-templatized analyses; it would be placed in an evaluation group by itself

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. close/open event frames based on events, not transitions

I use analysis to toggle a boolean or integer from 0 to 1. This is used as source to close/open event frames (step continious mode). this is working fine in real-time. But when I do a recalculation for a part of time in the past (not until *) on the analysis toggling the boolean/integer, the result can be that the last event (on thePI point) in that time frame is equal to the next event. Causing wrong results when the recalculation of the event frame generation analysis is done. If we could tell to close/open an every event we would…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Easy recording of actions, creating needed logfiles for tech support

Create a visual tool in which we can select assets and some of their attributes/analyses for which we want to record all needed data for tech support to investigate issues. This allows us to open this tool whenever we want to record some actions in the system, whenever we have doubts if something will work as expected or when we want to reproduce an issue

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow users to publish Proprietary AF Element templates

Critical operations teams need AF content on-prem that reflects expertise from their enterprise community. Process equipment vendors (pumps, bearings, tanks, exchangers, burners, steam traps, valves etc...), engr/maint service providers (vibration monitoring, control loop tuning etc...) and system integrators need a way to provide PI templates whose analytics code is proprietary and thus not visible to the end user regardless of login credentials. Copy/edit/edit would be prohibited. This feature will allow supplier community to publish their work very quickly and effectively into existing pi systems without fear of losing their intellectual property. This will boost AF/EF content in existing PI systems…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enumeration Sets and Asset Analytics Intellisense

It would be nice if Intellisense would automatically fill enumeration sets as it does for attributes. It would make the setting of analyses and event frames easier when we are working with long strings.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Asset Analytics should have a performance counter to indicate data loss on the UpdateManager queue

Currently there is no way to know if Analytics missed important updates (e.g. start of a batch) without analyzing the message logs.
    However, the AFSDK does provide an indication on the DataPipe if the pipe is in an overflow state, allowing for a consumer to detect if updates have been lost.

I would like AF Analytics to include a Performance Counter that indicates the UpdateQueue size and/or an indication of lost Events. That allows to monitor if any important data is potentially missed by Analytics.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow nested operations in AF Asset Analytic functions for 'attribute attname'

KB00868 recommends Asset Analytics as the right job, but there are some major limitations that inhibit ease of use and deployment, specifically around operations on >1 attribute or tag simultaneously.

To improve this, AF analyses functions that take in data of type "attribute attname" should be able to process an expression that returns type attribute. Perhaps limited to periodic analyses other toggleable somehow, as there is potential to use a lot of CPU cycles.

== Example 1: Totalized Mass Flow ==
    Given FIT-001 and DIT-002, return the totalized mass flow (say, kg) over an interval. The current process:
    1. Create…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enhance functionality of NumOfChanges

By now the NumOfChanges Function in AF Analytics does not take into account the value at the start of the timerange. NumOfChanges only counts the amount of changed values of the recorded values in the given timeframe.
    If I query the NumOfChanges for today 12 am till now and my Archived Values are:
    Val1, 11:59 pm (day before)
    Val 2, 4 am
    Val 2, 12 pm
    Val 2, 8 pm

the function will result in 0 although in the time from 12 am to 4 am there was Val1.
    Regarding TechSupport this is not a bug in the functionality, only…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Filtered calculation in PI ProcessBook

In PI Calcs inside PI ProcessBook or even PI AF, the could be a way of filtering calculations, such as the following

1. Tag VALUE stores a process value
    2. Tag STATUS stores the asset status

We want to determine how long VALUE was higher than a threshold, filtering it by the condition 'STATUS'="running"

Currently, we need to use at least one additional PI Point per conter, but it would be nice if we did not need any and could do it directly from PI PB.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow scheduled analyses to ignore circularity

It should be possible to force an apparent circularity to be ignored if analyses are scheduled and not triggered.

A thermal efficiency application I have coded as AF Analyses has the following two analyses A and B, such that each is expressed in terms of the other. This is not really a circularity since the logic flow is dynamically switched by a third input X, so that one of these is calculated from independent inputs Y and Z, viz:

A: if X > 0 then f(B) else f(Y)
    B: if X <= 0 then f(A) else f(Z)

Clearly, if triggered,…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Future Data recalculation and analysis-triggering

1. Allow auto recalculation of future data. This makes sense to consider, because forecast revisions are a general, industry-agnostic thing.
    2. Another related request might be to add a new option of analysis triggering. Right now for event-trigger analyses, it triggers based off current value. It would make working with future data easier if there could also be an event-trigger for when the latest (most future) value arrives.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to generate Event Frame on invalid data reference

I would like to build an analysis that generates an event frame when one of the referenced PI points is unavailable - i.e. the point does not exist, permissions are missing, or the Data Archive server is unavailable.

Currently when these conditions occur, the analysis will go into an error condition, but there is no way I can be notified of the situation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I would like the ability to move searches defined on the PSE management tag from computer to computer

I have created numerous searches on the management tab of the PSE, but if changing computers or even sharing the searches between workers you currently have to recreate the searches on each computer. Not sure where these are stored currently, but a way to import/export the searches would be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add an analysis function to find the Kth largest value in an array

Expression analyses allow you to find the largest value of an attribute over a specified time range using the TagMax function. A function which offers the ability the find the Kth largest value (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, etc.) would be useful. Something similar to the LARGE function in Excel would be ideal.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add To, CC and BCC for Notifications

Thanks for implementing https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/32874406-notification-e-mail-delivery-channel-to-accept-mul

I would like to see "CC" and "BCC" in addition to "To".

At out company the receipients of "To" should do the necessary work involved with the notification and the recipients of "CC" (and "BCC") should only be informed.

It would be nice if ";" (semicolon) would also be accepted as a separator betweeen multiple email addresses. I think MS Outlook takes the regional list separator.
    Maybe it would be best to provide a tooltip in all email fields to show this option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. New Date and Time Functions

I like the new feature of providing an output timestamp via analysis.
    To use this even more I would like to see more date and time functions:
    - AddMonths(), AddDays(), AddHours(), ... for adding or subtracting time ranges.
    - DateSerial(yy, mm, dd [, hh, mi, ss]) for creating a new date time
    - PIString() function that outputs a date time as a string using the PI time format
    - String() function with custom formats
    - Useful could also be WeekDayName() and MonthName() (both in English and in local time format)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Include subseconds in output timestamp from variable

Currently we have an analysis with the output timestamp set to be a variable within the analysis. If I map that variable to an output, it includes the subseconds, but the output time for the analysis is truncated to the second. The output time for the analysis should also include the subseconds.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED